1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many pounds of lead?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SONO MAN, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Hello every one. I would like to know how many pounds of lead it takes to make a 25lb bag of shoots? Also, how much it cost to make this bag of 25lb? Thanks for your input, Peter.

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

25 1/2 lbs of lead to make a bag of shoots. LOL RG

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

As far as how many loads per bag, it will depend on the size of the shot used. For a good approximation go to the site above and go down to where it says chilled shot. There's your answer.

I think it takes 25 pounds of lead to make 25 pounds. The cost of lead is raw commodity at about $1.16 right now and fluctuates on the commodity price. Yes it's high and may go higher but we hope not.

all the best,
    john

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Do ya think?????

5. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks for the responce BLKLAB and everyone. Do you know how long it lakes to make 25lb bag? Thanks in advance, Peter.

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

OK Sono,

You're gonna have to let us know what you are trying to figure out? Are you talking about using a shot maker? It's not very clear from your question.

john

7. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Tailbuster, I'm just trying to have an idea about how much time to make 25lb bag of shots and how much it will cost to make it, before I spend the money on a shotmaker and find it will take something like 4 houres or so to make 10 or 15lb of shots and it will save me only 2-3 dollers per bag. Thanks, Peter.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It doesn't sound too difficult to me. Obviously he's considering making his own shot and is looking for some friendly information. Peter, there are many posts on this site if you go to the "search" site!

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I'm sure someone will come on with what you are after pretty quickly. I know some of the people are using wheel weights that they get for free or very cheap from repair shops.

all the best,
    john

10. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks to all, Peter.

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I do not make my own shot yet, but I know that making shot will save more than a few bucks a bag. From what I have read, if you buy the lead from a tire shop, the price comes to around 5.00 a bag, depending on how much you pay. Some people have even said that having a shot maker took their ammo cost down to 0.00 since they sold some shot to other people. I am not sure how long it takes to make a bag of shot, but it is no where near 4 hours. do a thread search and you should find some interesting information. I will bring scott k's thread back up to the top for you. It is titled shotmaker pics, vids, and more, and has a lot of information and videos.

12. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

making my lead ingots from wheel weights,to the shot making process i can run 250 lbs of finished shot in 8-10 hours(i use a single ladel stewart shot maker with single drippers) by myself,with help i can cut off a couple of hours,hope this helps,mark any questions feel free to ask drop the xxx's

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

see above...

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you do a sign on name search of scott k, there are many post on smelting shot making and other helpfull info. Getting lead shot in my area is tough. Current supplier is only gettin on per order basis quarterly. Next order price 35.00 per bag 5 bag min. order. so I wont see shot until end of september if a order now. Getting through club is also tough.

15. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Before you get into the Shot making business you want to know you will be able acquire the Lead -- there are a lot of people out there scrounging Lead -- everything from sinkers to shot to adding weight to stock cars -- you name it their using it -- not to many freebees out there -- I know because I am making Shot and looking for scrap Lead -- it is not cheap to get started -- lots of things to purchase beside the cost of the Shot maker -- bench to set it on -- reservoir to drop into -- coolant -- strainers -- method to melt the lead -- muffin pans -- ladles -- etc -- you will have between $600 -$700 to get started with a simple single setup -- you will run 35-40 lbs. per hour depending on the size shot you are making -- then you have to wash/dry and bag -- don't want to burst your bubble -- but it is a lot of hassle and work -- Doug

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=117255&messages=92 Scott k breaks down his process just read down through the post about a 3rd into post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.