1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**HOW MANY PELLETS DOES IT TAKE**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

How many pellets does it take to break a clay target?? Sounds like a lawyer joke but I've often wondered about it. I shoot #8s at 1200 ft per second. Anybody have an un-funny answer?? BB

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

More than one. I can't count how many times I have seen whole clays in the field with only one perfect tiny shot size #8 in it. I also cannot remember seeing a clay with 2 or 3 holes in them. I'd say ANYTHING OVER ONE.

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I think someone had done a test on this years ago, and found that to consistently break a target, it took 3 pellets. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what I remember reading. I also don't remember what size shot they used for conducting the test. Garrett

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

just one, but, it must be the right size, velocity and location to work.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We have picked up targets with 5 and 6 holes in them, had a stack of them on my desk at one time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Only takes one pellet to break the target. Just one! The holes being mentioned in unbroken targets are in the dome. Who has ever seen a hole in the rim of an unbroken target? One pellet striking the rim will break the target. The rim is where the action is located. Not a very big target.

7. ismah

ismah Member

Good information. Thank You all. BB

8. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Speaking of slow motion....I heard Japan has developed a high speed camera that has a shutter spead so fast that it is actually capable of photographing a woman with her mouth shut!! Now that's fast....

9. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I want a framed print...

Doc

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

How many times do we see wisps of smoke and nothing else?! Obviously the one or two pieces of shot that hit those targets didn't always rebound off the weak dome...

Jay

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Didn't the wise old owl say that it took 3? Jeff

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I am going to be the guy who first states I believe it depends on the brand of traget. I could see Champion brand needing at least 1/2 dozen or more 8's to do the job. An earlier post states if you hit the rim the target will break. I will admit I do not ever remember seeing a hole in the rim but I have seen many rims with small chunks the size of a pencil eraser and the target was still completely intact. With all that said, my years of best singles scores were all with 1 ounce of 8.5 at about 1175 fps on the average.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The answer depends on...

Target speed and angle with respect to the shooter;

Distance at impact;

Angular velocity (spin rate);

Payload velocity;

Wind;

Antimony (shot hardness);

Shot size;

Target brand & mfg variables;

Temperature;

Exactly where on the target the pellets hit (rim or dome; side spinning toward you vs. side spinning away from you);

Plus several other factors I probably forgot to mention.

So... Wouldn't it be more productive to focus on things you can control - like pointing the gun properly?

Just sayin'.

-Gary

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How many pellets does it take ?

One more pellet than I hit it with.

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

Deer creek has it right, I have a $1900.00 champion target to prove it. Weather 5 above, winter calcutta, so far I'm the only one left to take the lone 50 target handicap. Shell, Federal paper 3 dram 7 1/2 , Silver Seitz, 41 thou constriction 27 yd., 49 straight, a hard right on my 50th, pound it smoke rolls off it, all over it it keeps going, I watch it, can't believe it, it hits a gravel drive, rolls like a donut and stops. So now i split with another 49, go to the road, pick it up, damn! 11 entry and egress hole, NO BREAK! incinerate em!

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Are you sure it wasn't aluminum?

I always thought 4 or 5 to consistantly break a target, although the spin does make a difference, adding extra centrifugal force to the equation.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How many times have you seen a chip come off a target? How many times have you seen a target break into two parts, or three parts? Thats one pellet, whether #9 or #7.5, it's still one pellet. I see it all the time from everyone..... So, needless to say, there are many many one pellet breaks. How many? Depends how lucky you are.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I read somewhere years ago that it took 2.5 ft/lbs.

You can cut that any way you want with speed and shot size. I think it amounts to 3 #7 & 1/2 or 5 #8's at 1200.

HM

19. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Thank you bigben, I have seen countless Champion Brand targets that not only blew serious dust but were also pushed or knocked off flight path and never broke.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

mac1 says" By the way a slow motion camera shows it takes 7 pellets to smoke a target." You are kidding , right? 3 or 4 won't do it, gotta have 7? No points for smoke anyway.

deercreek , can you be sure the rim damage you observed wasn't caused by impacting the ground?

halfmile, 5 8's at 1200. ha, I shoot 8's and none are at 1200. I break a few. Many pellets may hit the target but one pellet hit first and it liKely broke the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

camera software that shows where pellets hit

how many bullets does it take to break into a pellet gun

how many pellets doe it take to break in a pellet gun

how many pellets does it take to break a clay