1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you shoot one of these? !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FrankADavisJr, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankADavisJr

FrankADavisJr Member

From what I read, at one point Winchester Model 12 Traps ruled the trap range, but I have never seen another one (yet) on the line with me. I just registered for the ATA and am excited to start officially keeping score. I started shooting in October 2010 and have only had two 25-straights, but pretty consistently get 22-24.

Have you guys ever shot one of these? I know it has an aftermarket stock/forend but it fits me like a glove and points like the hand of doom.

I'm only 40, but love antiques, restoration, classic cars and apparently classic guns.

If you guys have a Model 12, add your picture to the post so we can see it!

Have a great weekend and good shooting -
    Frank
    [​IMG]

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I don't have one and never owned one. But, they're absolutely great guns. Enjoy yours.

Mike

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

In Michigan, like flies on.......

4. rustygun

rustygun Member

Had one when I first started in the late 60's, great pointing gun. I thought it kicked kinda hard, but being young and dumb I shot 3 dram loads at everything.
    Wish someone had come up with the adjustable comb a lot sooner.

5. fenoc

fenoc Member

My father, Ken Darroch, has shot one for 43 years, he has been on 9 all american teams with it and won the high over all at the pa state 9 or 10 times. He's had it rebuilt inside 3 times, but otherwise, it hasn't broken much. Great guns,they just don't wear out, plus nothing points better than a model 12.

Ian

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

FrankADavisJr:

Here's a tip: tie a rope through the trigger guard and the other end to your gunnel. It will keep your boat from drifting in the wind or current.

sissy

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I bought mine in 1975. Went thru a BT 99, SX 1, Franchi, but still like the swing of Mod. 12. It's a fast moving gun, and as slow as I'm getting that's a good thing.

However, if recoil is not your thing, they are better suited for 1oz. loads.

Obsolete by today's standards, but so am I.

Regards...Gerald

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I confess! I own two Model 12's and love them both! The top one is a Standard Model from 1955 (the subject of a recent thread here involving its action slide lock springs) and the lower one (a field model) dates from 1923. Model 12's are great shotguns!

LA in MA

[​IMG]

9. FrankADavisJr

FrankADavisJr Member

LA -

Very nice! I also have a 1924 field model. Something very cool and hard to describe about these guns.

Thanks for sharing...

FD

10. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Shoot what you like, and what works for you .

No matter what you shoot, someone will tell you it's the wrong gun.

Have fun!

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think all of us old timers grew up with one in our hand. And like Big M Perazzi said they are all over Michigan and Indiana and thats where I grew up

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Ok, I just received a blistering email from a miffed model 12 owner.

Please... the boat anchor reference was only a joke. Should have added a smiley : ) I suppose.

sissy - fan of Model 12's

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sissy,

I realized it was a joke. I mean nobody would disgrace a boat with an anchor like that. LOL

14. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Found one in a local gun shop a few years back. Thought about buying it but it really was worn and had been around by the looks of it. The price was around $700. but when I thought about the price and time it would take to get it in top condition, I reconsidered. Went back twice to look at it though.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the best shotguns ever made. Puts today's plastic garbage pump guns to shame.

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but I own one of those old dogs. But I can't say I shoot it much. I lke shooting my 4e.

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00545.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The model 12 was known as the perfect repeater. If you were lucky enough to find one that fit and shot where you looked, you had a gun for life. The history of the sport of trapshooting was helped formed by men and women shooting the great model 12. If you have any doubt, all you need to do is to look up the record books.

Vic Reinders once told me when he went to a shoot he never worried about the guy with the new gun with bright bluing, as he probably has not had the gun long enough to really know where it shoots. He said beware of the man with a work worn model 12, with some of the bluing off and maybe a throw in a little rust, as that shooter most likely knows how to shoot that gun, and you have a good chance of meeting that same shooter in the shoot off.

Like it or not, most shooters felt it was a great gun especially for trap. End of story.
    Steve Balistreri

18. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Bill Grill, tell me about that Model 12 -- either here or PM me....Jack

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

my boat anchor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. FrankADavisJr

FrankADavisJr Member

Bill Grill -

PLEASE tell us more about that Model 12! What year is it from (Mine is a 1931) and how the heck did that amazing ingraving find its way there???

Holy smokes. If you ever feel the need to part with it, you just let me know and I'll see if I can fit it into my budget :)

Setterman - that is one SWEET gun as well. Are these special edition guns?

Note to self: start saving now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.