1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW MANY OF YOU CONSERVATIVES HAVE LIBERAL KIDS?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by birdogs, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a number of very conservative friends who grew up in the '50s whose kids are rabidly liberal. I even have one friend who served 4 tours in Viet Nam and who was the first soldier to win a Silver Star in that conflict whose son is a liberal college professor. Most of them don't want to talk about it but ALL of them blame it on the collegs their kids went to.

Have any of you seen this phenomonon?

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I am not really sure how liberal she has become....I have not talked to her in around six years.

3. drgondog

drgondog Member

Two of mine (the boys) are former USMC, another NRA Lifetime member/President of a Marketing company and she does not suffer fools lightly

4. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

My daughter is a California college professor. Need I say more?

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I've heard it said that "if you are not a liberal when you are young, you don't have a heart. If you are not a conservative when you're older, you don't have a brain."

I think there is some validity to it. Hopefully they will come around.

Bob

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Let them finally figure out it is THEIR money that is being given away to non-workers, criminals and others who choose to be non-productive and they may see the light.

7. TF

TF Active Member

I have one, but he is coming around very quickly since he has begun to fully pay his own way. He never realized how things are until he was fully a part of everything. He has gone from thinking the president will be ok to wondering what he is thinking. I have told him my conversion was much quicker...we had Carter to show us the way! I told him becoming conservative is part of growing up. Used to make him mad, now he shakes his head and says " yep, I know it".

Tom Frazer

8. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Both of mine learned that their old man wasn't a wild-eyed redneck quickly after going out into the world on their own. Dealing with a government agency or two really helped them to see the light. Paying taxes was the icing on the cake.

9. cyduster

cyduster TS Member

Sometimes when they get wound up in their speeches you will often see them wipe their mouths. Foam? My daughter graduated from Texas A&M, a school that used to be one of the most conservative in the nation but is being infiltrated. After a few years of school teaching, which she quit, she is now a Libertarian and hates all politicians.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Wow, I guess I am lucky.

I spent much time with my son when he was young - teaching him not to believe in what I believe, but in how to think for himself.

I never 'demanded his respect.' I figured it had to be earned by one - bestowed by the other, and that this was a two way street. I think we now respect one another.

He is smart, polite, engaging, and to a person "old people" (read people over 30) all truly enjoy conversations with him.

He shoots, he owns guns, and for his 18th birthday I gave him a lifetime membership in the NRA - something he truly appreciated. This past January we spent two weeks on a hunting trip in the UK.

Often he is conservative, but sometimes liberal (more by the old connotations - not the new ones), but he does so logically, rationally, and from his own thoughts and ideas - not from anyone else's.

I am pleased.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My three sons are all conservatives and very much so. It is mybrother and his whole family that are Liberals. They are really out there and they think Obama is doing a good job. Totally pisses me off

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

One of my shooting friends is very conservative but his brother and his brother's entire family are flaming leftists. The family does not get together often.

Back in the '80s, I was in business with a young Jewish fellow. His father and motherb were NYC school teachers and he caught the disease (liberalism) from them. Then, after a particularly stressful period during which he worked 18 to 20 hours a day for several weeks, our accountant came in to do our taxes. The accountant fanned out 7 envelopes addressed to various government entities and said we had to put a check in each one of them. My partner went nuts. He said, "Where were they when I was breaking my butt and going without sleep?" This dose of reality changed his social and political viewpoints forever!

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Our kids are both conservatives but I have a brother that is a flaming lib and inlaws that all retired from GM so that pretty much says it all

I hardly talk to my lib brother, and when we do I never bring up politics until right at the end of the conversation just to piss him off

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I was raised in a staunch Union Democrat family environment, so it does work the other way, too. I believe that generational party switching is more common than you might think. My kids are split 2 & 2.

My 94 year old Mother-in-law is the one that surprises everyone. She can sit and watch the news all day, a never miss an opportunity to yell derogatory remarks at this administration. Does a heart good to see it.

Kip

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The question should be, who treats there kids, or family members differently because of it, either way? No need to answer! Just think about it.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I always give the benefit out the doubt, guess their brains are just broken

17. cpd544

cpd544 Member

My daughter voted for him the first time, when I asked her why she said because everyone else in her college is voting for him. Last election she said no way she would vote for him, I guess she saw the light.
    Jim

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

most kids start out very liberal democratic party type. When they graduate from college and get jobs and start paying for houses, wife, kids, etc... they get very conservative republican party type.

This is what I have found with kids that I taught in HS then see them years later and listen to them tell me about the government class I teach and how what i said was so true.

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Not mine. They were taught to work for what they have. Not ride the free bus.

20. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

It isn’t just the colleges. The department of education has set the social engineering program from pre-k through college.

Michael B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.