1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of the 120% advertised POI Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How many of the Manufacturers Guns shoot their advertised 120% Point Of Impact guns actually do it right out of the box? Such as K-80, Caesar Guerini, Blaser,
    Perazzi, Kolar, Etc.

Without having to send them back to Mfgr to have them re-regulated?

I personally bought 3 of them, and not one of them met that advertised POI.

They had to be sent back for new Bbls.

How many of you high shooting trapshooters have found this out?

How many of you shoot a 100% or Higher trapgun?

I personally like 18-20 inch shooting gun. Which is a 120% POI Gun.

My Seitz guns w/# 2 1/2 High shooting rib all shot 18" inches high I found them to be about the only one making it.

I am including factory guns w/adjustable ribs in this category.

If you don't shoot a 100% or higher gun your comments are not wanted or needed as they are irrelevant.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

With my cylinder choke at 45 yds how high is my pattern at 120%?

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Until we humans get standardized cheek bones no manufacturer will ever be able to guarantee poi on a shotgun.

4. Dr.Longshot

Any gun can be regulated to 120% by using the std sight picture w/middle bead at base of front bead, regardless of facial cheek bones, that is where gun fit comes in. The Mfgr advertises 120% high POI w/ above sight picture, the shooter has to have his gun fit to him.

A gun that does not fit is useless, and scores is the proof in nthe pudding.

Who in their right mind would shoot a cylinder choke gun from handicap?

Get Serious BigM-Perazzi.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Dr.Longshot

Already have 2 not wanted or needed replies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

2 unwanted replies already....

Yup, and unlike the Clenzoil thread, they aren't even funny.

sissy

7. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Dr. Longshot ,,

I hear trapshooters say they like to float the clay pigeon just above their
    barrel, how do you aim 18 - 20 inches below the clay pigeon with your 120%
    POI in order to hit the target ? I need you or someone to walk me through
    this high POI technique , when you have some free time, "not trying to stir
    up the pot", what am I missing ? thanks

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary. take you thinly veiled condescending comments elsewhere. It is a open forum for all TS.commers. Let them talk about their POIs as they see fit. You do not run this place.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I second that MIA. He seems to bring up the same subject once a month. Bulge.

10. running bear

running bear Member

Dr Longsh?t, forgot to take his meds again this morning

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

OK, with my Leo Harrison I I I. Xtra full choke and super handicap 7 1/2's, how high at 42 yds is 100%?

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Big M take a marked target to 40 yds. place your bead on the mark, fire 5 shots at the target to get a better average, at 100% the pellets will touch the mark, and all will be above, and a100% gun is NOT high, incinerate em!

13. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I had always shot a gun that was lower in the 70/30 area...

Bought a new C.G. August before last and it shot way high when compared to my Citori Plus..

I had to either get used to it or take wood from the stock which I wouldn't do...

Since I have gotten used to it, my adverage has risen by 5 targets per hundred..

I am a believer in shooting high but it is a pain in the A$$ when the wind keeps the targets low..

If your gun shoots high , keep in there as it'll work for you after approx. 5,000 rounds..

I wouldn't change now even though I wanted to in the beginning..

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Newfoundler.Now that is a great story. Thanks for sharing that. Let me give you one more. One of the better shooters that comes to the states every summer is Roman Pompe. From Czechoslovakia. Roman has terrific skills and technique. He shoots a high parallel gun, (MX8 top single) but with a low POI. He has a tad of vertical movement to the target, but mostly shoots Harlan Campbell style. But Roman pretty much covers the target. His technique and ability got him the Clay target championship at the "Heartland Grand" over the labor day weekend. His 199 in the wind bested the best by 2 or more birds. He is fun to watch. Little gun movement. Keeps the gun in the target dust.

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

My Kolar TA max is set at about 13 inches high at around 35 yards. About 100% high. Its working out very well for me. It will go higher.

16. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Bob..NEWFOUNDLANDER....is only telling half the story. He has won numerous trophies in the last several months and just topped off a great year with a nice big Moose.

Congratulations Bob !!!!!!!!!!

Vern

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Gary,

Please tell us how you are determining the POI on your guns. What is the method you use to take the shot and how do you measure it?

18. Dr.Longshot

I posted this to the shooters that shoot a 100% or higher shooting gun and was asking if the gun or guns they purchased measured up to the Mfgr advertised specs.

A 100% high gun does not shoot high enough for me.

My style of shooting is just that my style, I actually touch the bird on the rise and it breaks.

My personal opinion is that the average shooter shoots a too low of shooting gun after he has shot for a while, he sees the bird sooner points it out and shoots under the target.

Now name the shooters that shoot a high POI, my first is going to be Ray Stafford, Randy Ross 2nd Pat McCarthy, Ron Alcoriza, If my memory serves me right Harlan Campbell,I don't know all of them but some of you know others and there are quite a few of them, I also think.

Smsnyder your gun shoots about 90/10, unless you are shooting an extremely tight choke w/a very tight pattern.

My question was how many Mfgrs are advertising a 120% high gun and they actually can shoot 120% high POI.

A lot of guys buy these guns but they adjust them to their specific POI which may be less than 120% which is 18-20" High at 35-40 yards. I personally use 38 yards, and have my pattern board in the backyard, and use the porch railing as a bench rest w/gun on a pad so as not to scratch it.

My first Kolat T/S would not make 100% w/ their high shooting rib, they now offer more ribs for higher POI. They sent me different ribs to get it shooting high enough.

The high shooting Seitz w/ their 2 1/2 rib shoots 18" high. They now have higher shooting adjustable ribs.

Ljutic has 2 One Touch ribs one to 100% and one that will shoot over 120% according to Jimmy Ljutic and Terry's Gun Vault a Ljutic Dealer.

I addressed my original post to shooters who purchased a 120% guns, I was wanting their answers as they read this column.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

Gary, of all my guns, my Seitz unaltered shot 20 inched high, I sent it to Tom and he bent it to shpot 24 inches high with a figure 8, a 160 % gun which is great for me, he had bent all my other barrels as well, a majority of accomplished shooters shoot guns in the 22 to 24 in high range Many of the shooters think you have to "float the target, not so! the gun is driven into the target, what befuddles the ordinary shooter is upon calling for the target they move their guns up in anticipation of the target some times a foot or more! I have this on video of some past shooters as proof, to move a pattern up approx one thou per inch will do this, as you can see, there are a lot of thousands of an in in 12 inches. Should a shooter hold his eyes steady and not move his gun until the target clears the rib, he will shoot under and behind it 99&% of the time with a low impacting gun. incinerate em

20. Butler

Butler TS Member

are you trying to get 120% with a figure eight bead???? wouldn't work for me, so when the gun was made there was no center bead, when the gun was shooting where I wanted it to, than I installed the middle bead so I had a figure 8 Butler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.