1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many here will shoot steel shot if required?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How many here will shoot steel shot through their trap guns if lead shot is banned?

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Brian -

The follow-up question is how many who say they won't will be making an informed decision about the use of steel vs. basing their decision on hearsay or just general opposition to change?

We've been shooting steel at our range since 2001, and while I still prefer lead and still shoot more lead (at other ranges) than steel in a year, it doesn't have to contribute to the death of the sport like many believe it will.

It's not really as bad as some people would make you believe, and before anyone says they won't do it they should at least try it.

Scott

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As long as I can smell the powder burn in the paper hulls, I will be shooting

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Grab the last issue of Sporting Clays mag. There is an article about it. It's not as bad as you may think.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

What about the cost increase?

When I go into Wal-Mart to buy shells, the lead shells are $5 a box and the steel shells are $12 a box. That's enough to make me want to stop shooting.

6. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Buying, Definately more expensive. As far as shooting steel at clay, I have not shot HDCP (27yd), but singles, doubles, wobble, were non issues. The gun was dirtier, but the targets are just as broken!!!!!

RW

7. scott calhoun

Bucko43 -

Thanks for illustrating my point. Doing a simple comparison of a box of steel to a box of lead in a big box store doesn't provide you with a realistic idea of what things cost.

Steel at my range is available over-the-counter for $7 (still higher than $5 lead), but it's available at other places for less money. Like lead, there are deals to be found, and I can tell you I've walked into some Wal-Marts and haven't been able to find any lead for $5.

Steel reloading for quite a while was cheaper than lead reloading when the price of lead went out of sight. Even now with lead prices down it's still slightly cheaper. It requires a little more effort to find the components at good prices because they are not readily availabe, but it can be done. As steel continues to be required at ranges around the country the supply will increase as well, which will make it easier to find and cheaper.

Scott

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bucko...

I don't know what Wal-Mart you're shopping at, but at our local Wal-Marts in Illinois, we can buy Winchester Xpert Steel - Target & Game 1oz #7 - 1325 fps is $4.97/bx. Don't confuse the steel hunting loads with those suitable for clays.

Everyone... steel shot is not a magic bullet, but its viable and as Scott Calhoun says, ignore the rumours and bad information - there is plenty of both... take some time to get the real story and effectiveness of steel shot for clays.

BTW... its $7 incl tax at the counter...

Jay

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The UK uses Steel shot in the subgauges for skeet, had a gentleman shooting on my squad during the Mini-World who mentioned that his scores were about the same.

Ronbo

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes I would use steel for trap and I think it will become the low cost way to shoot in the near future. Steel shot might also be the thing that puts more sport into this game.

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'm not going to quit using my fixed choke barrel, so that lets me out.

12. scott calhoun

Texas -

Why does a fixed choke barrel "let you out"?

Scott

13. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

14. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

Steel requires a more open choke to get a pattern comparable to lead with a tighter choke, if I recall correctly.
    And I would like to find out information on what choke tubes are equivalent for steel to lead patterns if anyone has a link or picture.

Hokie Phil

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well I'll ask this, what else is one going to use their trap guns for if steel is required and in all likelyhood, steel will be required for all hunting also. Them darn guns aren't going to sit around regardless of how little they eat!

If steel is required nationally, it may well reduce the cost now experienced.

I can buy steel at several Walmarts in my area for less than premium trap loads.

texas ton, what are you going to use your gun for then? Gonna be a flower pot, fence post or lamp?LOL

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I will be ecstatic if we are allowed to keep shooting anything over the next few years. While I don't think there is any good reason to quit shooting lead I will gladly shoot steel if that is all that is allowed by our government. I have shot it at doves, quail, snipe and pheasants where it is dictated along with ducks and geese. I have shot a lot of it at clay targets too. Not as good as lead but it does get the job done.

17. scott calhoun

Hokie Phil -

The problem with most of what people know (or more accurately have heard) about steel is all based on hunting loads with very large shot. For those of us that have been shooting steel trap loads for years now we've been able to tell that a lot of what has been written in the past about steel does not apply to steel trap loads.

Most people at our range have found that more open chokes with steel provide poor patterns, and you end up choking mostly like you do for lead. We've also found that, just like with lead, what works for me in my gun might not provide the same results for you in your gun. We've not had one issue with choke tubes or fixed choke guns in all those years/rounds, and there are plenty of mod/IM/full tubes/fixed choke guns going to the line every week. When new shooters ask us, we recommend starting with a choke that is one size more open than you use with lead and then adjust from there. I personally have thousands of rounds thru a couple of BT-99's, one with Mod and one with Full, both factory Invector Plus tubes. I've also got thousands thru an XT with Mod and Full.

Scott

18. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Choke is too tight, steel won't "move" in the choke like lead-----will end up ruining the barrel.

I haven't shot any non-tox yet, not going to either. I did my own little one man boycott and it will remain as such.

I'll put my own range in and shoot up what I have left, then call it a day. That will take, "just awhile" to do.

Of course, if worse comes to worse, and it might, I'll be cutting open those shells to get the lead, to melt down and make buckshot.

19. scott calhoun

Texas -

Wondering what your source for info is regarding ruining the barrel?

Scott

20. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

Scott Cahoun:

Since steel shot is a lot harder than lead; it will not compress as lead will when going through the choke thus causing the barrel to bulge. According to Browning -- no choke tighter than a modified choke should be used for steel shot. The removable chokes that come with most target guns are stamped lead shot only. Chokes for steel shot are normally made of stronger steel. Using a gun with an oversize bore, .740 or larger, could possibly reduce the chance of bulging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.