1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many gun jumpers are out there?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have 3 trap guns and I shoot a round or two with one then pick up the other for a round or two. I always shoot in the mid 20's with any of the guns. I like to think I can shoot any gun that will shoot (the old its not the arrow but the indian) But the guys at the club say I do to much gun hoping to ever be really good. I disagree, I had a 96 avg. in ATA 2 years ago. Not perfect but decent. how do you all feel about gun jumping? Thanks

2. johnpe

johnpe Member

"Gun Jumping" can be fun!! I do it every weekend. Obviously, I don't do much regestered shooting. The last time, a couple or so years ago, I registered a 100 singles, I used 4 guns. The first one was a first year of production 1894 Remington and I only broke a 15. The next three, in order, were a Knick 4E Ithaca SB, a Winchester Super-X 1 Trap, and a Winchester M12 Pigeon Trap. I broke a 25 with each of them for a total score of 90. A few years ago I even shot a 500 target doubles marathon using five different guns including a Winchester 21. My high score was with the side by side. Fun, but not too conducive to good scores. If you are really into competition, stick with one or two guns, but the other side of the coin is this. If you paid good money for a some good shotguns, use them. I'm not big on closet queens. I believe in exercising your guns like you would exercise your hunting dog. Sometimes it can be fun and enlightening to use a smaller gauge on a sporting clays course set up for the 12 gauge - or even the single barrel trap where you have to do a fast reload to get to the second target. You will find that the smaller gauges are more capable than most people give them credit for.

Johnpe

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I have jumped about every year I've shot trap. I started with a TB in 72 (first dedicated trap gun, after a 37 Ithaca, a 37 Winchester with added rib, pad and cheek pc. and a 101). Have used at least one and sometimes more than one of the following for a good part of each year since: Bt99 (2 different), 1100 trap (three variations), Daly Venture grade, 101, Citori Special Edition, and a Cynergy. At the end of each year, when the club championship was on the line, I pulled out the old TB and have won twelve of them in my twenty nine years in the club. I don't have to think with it. Problem birds still break. All the others work pretty well but I do too much thinking. When the receiver cracked in April, I bought a vintage, mint Wingmaster receiver and did a heart transplant and have had one of my best summers ever.

Jump, I will, but will remain faithful to the one that performs when a trophy or cut of meat is on the line.

4. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

You really had to be in love to go to a dance and dance every dance with the same girl. so goes the gun saga Jon

5. jimsw

jimsw Member

An old saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun."

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Me too ITs about fun and enjoying shooting different guns. If scores were only thing I would get one gun fitted and that be all.
    Railroad

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use many different guns for skeet, trap and sporting and it doesn't seem to hurt my scores. I picked up a 28 ga 1100 and shot skeet with it and ended up with a 96 which was two targets over average for me with the little gun. I think a different gun makes us stay in the gun better regardless of what type it is. I think a dedicated trap gun is different as it patterns higher and requires you to make adjustments. Jackie B.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic Reinders told me the first day i joined the waukesha gun club" by yourself an 870 tb, marry the gun and remain faithful to your gun the same way you would be faithful to your wife". use the money you would use to buy other guns and shoot with that money. not to many people today think like old Vic. Vic would go to a shoot by train, with only enough money to get him to the shoot, so he had to win to get back home. i never listened to Vic, owned numerous guns. i never amounted to anything in this game. it may have been because i liked switching guns, or just that i did not have the ability. most likely it was a little bit of both. the reason i changed guns, i got bored with one gun. obviously shooting good scores was secondary to me. now that i am older i look at the money that i worked hard for and wasted by foolish trade ins etc. it is up to you the road that you want to follow. if this was your livelyhoood, i am sure you would stick to one gun. one thing i admired about Vic, i would see him break terible scores, he never blamed the gun. the following week, he probably would win the shoot. you earned the money to purchase the guns, you decide what you want to do with them.
    steve balistreri

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't think it is a good idea even though I do it some between gauges. Not all guns shoot to the same point and they don't all weigh the same changing the gun handling characteristics. I am using one gun now for all my shooting with the exception of small gauge events. Trap, skeet, and sporting clays all with the same gun.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Once I found the right gun, I stuck with it. I went from the 1100 (my starter gun) to the TM-1 and stayed with it ever since. I got berated by many in Pennsylvania for selling the K-80 trap special that I won at the PA state shoot, but it didn't make sense to go from a flat shooting, fast pointer to *trying* to shoot a high-ribbed, heavier gun.

My average climbs every year, so I'm all for the marrying-your-gun concept. Martin doesn't seem to be jealous of her at all.

Tried a couple of doubles guns before I found the right one, but now that I found it, I'm sticking with it, too.

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

It took me a long time to find the right gun, in all I went through over 30 of them. Now that I found the one gun I do my best with, I shoot it for ATA only and some of the others I still have, I use for the clubs or league. What is the point of having them if you don't shoot them. Right now is an excellant time to add to your collections with people shedding their extras because of the hard times.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Been living for a jump my whole life! No JUMP = No FUN

13. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I know to be competive I have to shoot the same gun but that is not any fun anymore. So now I have a bunch of OU's and SXS's in different gauges and I switch all the time. Variety is the spice of life. Larry

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

It has taken me 9 months to get close to comfortable with the gun I acquired last fall. I have gone through a number of stock adjustments. I would never use another gun for competition targets. But that is me.

If you are in the mid 20's, and satisfied, gun jumping may be OK. If your goal is to shoot multiple 25 straights, gun jumping may not be conducive to that objective unless you are very talented; or each gun feels the same, points the same and has the same trigger feel.

Don Verna

15. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Since I am a LOT better at buying guns than shooting them, yeah, I gun jump. I know that I should not, but can't help myself.

16. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I get made fun of all the time at my club. I usually bring 5-6 guns out of my 20 or so to play with on our monday night game shoot. I shoot 870's, M12, BT99, Recoiless, Ljutic,31TC, ect. I heard some guys talking on the line about me and I told them they were just mad because I can shoot multiple guns better than they can shoot their one dedicated trap gun. You have to make it fun!! And there is nothing wrong with having a bunch of guns!

-John

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I must be a "jumper". I tried most of them. I'm getting the suburban ready for the grand. So far I've packed a seitz, mx 15 with extra set of mx 10 o/u barrels, mx 8 o/u with extra mx2000 under single barrel and a m 12 . I will probably only shoot one gun for doubles, but I use three for 'caps and singles.

18. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Let me tell you about the philosphy of one of the best fishermen I have ever known. He used to tell me, "You know everybody changes lures when they arent catching anything. But, sometimes, I will change lures even when they are biting what I am using. You never know when you will stumble on something that REALLY works. Something you would never have known.........if you never switched."

My buddy Joe turned many a good day, in to great days with that philosophy.

You can always go back.

19. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I regularly switch between my Kolar unsingle and my 90T. I actually shoot the 90T a little better but enjoy the feel and fit of the Kolar. I've shot a lot of 98 & 99's with the Kolar, but just shot my second 100 with the 90T. I feel comfortable with both and can pick up either one and head to the line for a registered shoot.
    I'm taking both to the grand and will shoot the 90T while my Kolar is getting it annual. It's nice to have two guns that you can shoot well.

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Singles gun Ithaca 4e

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00513.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Doubles Gun 5e S/S

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00721.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many different trap shotgun are their