Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how many grands are there?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pat Ireland 
#1 ·
this probably sounds silly to most of you but how many grands are there? i thought the grand was the grand american and that was that but it seems there are all sorts of grands in the us. i whould like to travel over to shoot the biggest and best shoot with the most stalls and all the stuff we read about here in australia and can not buy or get imported!!!!!so which one do i spend my time and money on, in fact trade stalls are more important than the shooting i can shoot all i want here in ozz, just not as many good shooters!!!

#2 ·
There is one Grand. It is at Sparta in August. There are several smaller Satellite Grands from August to April. They are good shoots and are sponsored, in part, by the ATA. There are a few clubs that use the term Grand to describe shoots hosted by individual clubs (PA Grand). The PS Grand uses the term "Grand" with permission from the ATA. A few other clubs use the term without permission and in violation of the registered trademark held by the ATA.

Pat Ireland

#3 ·
There is only 1 "Grand American" which is held every year in Sparta. Ill. It's the biggest and most competitive trapshoot in the world.

The "other grand's" are merely ATA sanctioned trap competitions which are held at different dates and venues throughout the U.S. There are many that are very large and very competitive, however, they are not the "Grand American".

Curt

#4 ·
missed some

"they are sattalite grands, and, there are too many!"

Not looking to start an argument but there can never be to many trap shoots no matter what they call them. There is however only one Grand American.

Bob Lawless

#5 ·
I am with missed some on this subject. While I agree in principle the more shoots the better, I think that having so many satellite grands has diluted attendance at the smaller regular club shoots. At least that is my view here in the Northeast. Some "regular hard core shooters" skip the one day shoots at a local club to go the larger satellite shoot where they can shoot for 3 or 4 days. It is the little club shoots that have always been the feeder system for the ATA. They are the ones that are in need of help and attendance at their shoots in order to survive in these times. Shoot often while we can, Bob

#7 ·
missed some are satellite grands not trap shoots? As far as I am concerned that is all they are and there can never be to many. A shoot is a shoot is a shoot.

Bob Hawkes

"I think that having so many satellite grands has diluted attendance at the smaller regular club shoots. At least that is my view here in the Northeast."

Bob although I agree that attendance is poor at the smaller shoots. I am not convinced that the reason is satellite grands. I believe it is the economy shooters disposable income is what is diluted(not for those that attend the shoots in their motorhomes)attendance. The rank and file have to get the most bang for the buck. They are not going to get it at smaller one day shoots. So they miss more of them to accumulate more income to shoot at one place. JMO Bob

Bob Lawless

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.