1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hOW MANY GRAINS OF PYRODEX?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a New model Army .44 Cal. revolver. How many grains of Pyrodex do I use??? Thanks

2. DanLee

DanLee Member

As many as will fit under a lead ball and leave 1/4" for Crisco at the mouth.

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

First off get a copy of "Lyman Black Powder Handbook, 2nd Edition" and read it twice concerning your revolver. Then remember Pyrodex is not weighed, it is measured by volume to equal a charge of BP.

Have fun and keep plenty of clean-up rags handy. It is dirty work, but fun.

HBT

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh come on wuss put in the 3 -50 grain pellets for a magnum load. Just kidd'n do like they have told you and read first. Each gun has what they call its max load. Remember max load is not always best load.----Matt

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Use the 30 grain measure supplied with most BP powder flasks. As noted above the actual weight of pyrodex will be less than 30 grains. You want to seat the ball such that it slightly compresses the charge. A blob of grease on top of the ball as per DanLee keeps the cylinder turning and barrel reasonably clean.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, probably less than the manufacturer says you can use.

First, make sure its Pyrodex for Pistols.

I have a replica Griswold & Gunnison brass framed Colt. Because of the brass frame, they recommend not using any more than 17 to 20 grains (volume) of BP or BP substitute.

17 to 20 grains is plenty of powder for plinking with a BP handgun.

But, if you do this, I recommend you get the pre-oiled .45 caliber felt patches and put them between your powder and your ball. Otherwise, you don't get the ball seated all the way on top of the powder, which is important.

IF YOU DON'T SLIGHTLY COMPRESS THE POWDER, AND LEAVE A GAP BETWEEN THE POWDER AND THE BALL, YOU CAN BULGE THE CYLINDER. I know. A friend of mine had a nice Walker replica revolver, and this happened to him.

Doing this also precludes the need for grease or crisco on top of the ball.

Finally, black powder and Pyrodex are dirty, and a pain to clean. You might consider Hodgdon Triple 7. Great stuff!

Enjoy the smoke!

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It depends on what you intend to do. If it's for plinking, try about 20 grains by VOLUME, with an Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad under the ball. Be sure that there is no air space between the ball and powder. We used to use a little corn meal over the powder if there was a question. We used a little piece of tissue to separate powder and meal if it bothered you. Follow the link above for Hodgdon's data. Usually the manufacturer's recommendations should be observed. I like the pellets and use one pellet and don't bother measuring unless I'm using Triple Seven. Hodgdon says you can load up to 35 grains, by VOLUME, of Pyrodex pistol, in the .44 caliber.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

We'll probably be reading about some moron blowing himself apart because he wouldn't, or couldn't read the appropriate data manual for his reloads! SFA!

AndyH ;-)

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I tried the three pellets. They won't fit. What now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
70grains of black powder equials how many grains of pyrodex
black powder pistol loads using pyrodex

how many grains of black powder 44 cal revolver

how many grains of pyrodex do i need for black powder oistol 44 cal
how many grains of pyrodex in a 44 cal pistol
how many grains of pyrodex in a 44 walker
how many grains of pyrodex in a 45 cal kentucky pistol
how much pyrodex to use in 44 cal pistol