1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(?) How Many Grains Of 700X 1145/1200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

Cannot get the Hodgden/IMR webb site to work for me. Can anyone tell me how many grains of 700X does it take to push a load to 1145 & 1200 fps. Federal paper hull, Fed primer, Fed 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot. Would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Hodgden/IMR website doesn't list any recipes using Federal papers and 700X. Choices are Hodgdon Titewad, Clays, Universal, International, and Longshot. Mark

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The 'formula' for finding loads for Federal Papers is to take the FGM-Plastic load you want, and add ½gn.

That 'kink' will duplicate the advertised FGM ballistics almost exactly, so, in the instances you cite, 17.5 & 18.5gn of 700X will be in the 1150 & 1200fps ranges.

Bob

4. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I only load 1oz.of shot in the fed paper using 700x.I use 17.5 grains and a 12so wad.I use the same components in the cheap fed. plastic hulls and both will puff a target if I can hit it,from whatever yardage!1&1/8 of shot should really be a killer load.........your results may vary!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The loads listed for the Federal Champion 7/8 Pellet Protector were a two piece plastic wad. The pellet protector shot cup had a plastic snap on over powder wad. I would think the pressure would be a little higher using a 12S3 wad since it seals better than the old two piece wads. Or you could use fiber wads if you got them. A call to Hodgdon works too.

Wayne

PS. The 7/8" Pellet Protector wad is a 1-1/8 ounce load.

wayneo_2008_0303207.jpg

6. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

I have a copy of my email from IMR dated 7-6-99 that asked for information on loading Federal papers with 700X,12S3,and Winchester 209s. I know that you asked for info with Federal 209s, but this is the best that I can do for you. The information is from IMR technical help and you will have to take my word for it. Again, please note this is for Winchester 209s.

2 3/4 dram load: 17.6 grains 700X, 1145fps / 8900psi

3 dram load: 18.8 grains, 700X, 1200fps / 10100psi

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bob,

PLEASE call Hodgdon and ask them. Their Techs will give you the facts, not opinions.

Tim

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

16.5 and 17.5 respectfully in STS Hull w/Win Prime

GB
    DLS

9. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

chronograph them
    it varies

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

As Tim above said, Call or E-mail "Hodgdon.com" and ask a tech for the correct data. People here will guess------- Only Hodgdon can tell you what it should be. Only load with "recently published data". Powder, primers, some wads have changed over the years and sometimes the powder drops need to vary for current production. If your using some clones for something tell them that as well. How can you go wrong. Load safe and have fun. break em all Jeff

11. In plain view

In plain view Member

Many thanks to all who responded. I'll place a call to Hodgden and see what they say. I just don't understand why a company would manufacture and sell 700X powder and make no effort to publish reloading recipes for the Federal paper hull especially when Federal "still" makes the paper shells and a lot of us still shoot them. JMHO. Bob

12. Pull & Mark

You just made me look at their site. They have 4 different powders listed with your Federal paper hulls. 700X is not on their list. Your load has fallen though the cracks as it were. Not many reloaders load with paper much anymore. There are shooters who like them. Clays, International, Titewad, and Longshot are listed. I'm sure they will get back to you and let you know what you can do. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

13. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

considering how much we spend on everything else in this sport, I think anyone who reloads should invest in an accurate digital scale, and a chronograph - probably a couple hundred bucks total, you'd better have them anyway if you reload metallic cartridges . . .

14. In plain view

In plain view Member

I called Hodgden Powder Company this morning and spoke to a tech rep about my reloading question. Spoke to a very courteous gentleman who was eager to help but couldn't. Supposedly when Hodgdon purchased IMR they, for some unknown reason, didnt get any of their reloading information using Federal paper hulls. This gentleman went quite a bit back in time but wasnt happy with anything he saw. It appears on the surface I'll be forced to use the 700X on plastic hulls where there is a lot of info on. I won this can of 700X at a banquet and having lots of once fired paper hulls on hand thought I would try it. Looks like I'll have to open up a new container of Red Dot to use my papers or experiment with 17.0 and 17.5 grains of 700X. We'll see. Bob

15. Pull & Mark

Bob, Sorry to hear that Hodgdon could not give you a load!!! That's the first time I've heard of this ever happening to anyone. From what I've read on hear most love the smell of Red Dot with the Federal Papers anyway!!! After all is that not the big reason most like to load them anyway. LOL. Good Luck and thanks for letting us know how things turned out for you. break em all Jeff

16. ctreay

ctreay Member

FWIW-I have reloaded both paper and plastic GMs for the last 10 years. I load 17.5 700X, 12S3 wad w/1 1/8 shot, and the Fed 209a primer. These crono @ 1150-1175 FPS. I used to use the 12C1 wad in the papers until the supply dried up. I see no difference with the 12S3. Your milage may vary.

ctreay

17. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

In Plain View,

Check your Private Messages.

Jim

18. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I truly hate that you are haveing trouble finding data for that nasty old 700x.I think you should just send it to me and let me dipose of it and you won't have to be concerned about loading it in the paper hulls.While you are at it just ship me all those old paper hulls you got and everthing will be out of your way.thank you.I can't wait for the shipment!lol............I should be so lucky.

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

There's really only a 2.5 grain range that's useful for 700X (though a friend of mine loads 12.5 grs over 7/8 oz for his girlfriend to shoot). 16.5 to 19.0 is all you need to know. When you decide to approach the upper limit, the noise generated by the load will attract some attention, so be ready for the comments. Remember more than one person saying "I use 19.0 grains of 700X. It sounds like a stick of dynamite, but is a heck of a handicap load.". I finally went to Green Dot for HCP, but all of my other loads (singles, doubles) get 700X in 17.0 - 18.5 grains. Used to have 11 empty 12 lb kegs in my basement.

20. Pull & Mark

That's the exact reason I only tried 700X once. It metered great, loaded great and was a pretty clean powder as far as that goes, but It was very loud and when fellow shooters next to me started saying what kind of loads are you using now!!! I said a standard l l/8 oz. load at 1150 fps. They said it sounded much hotter!!! I just never bought anymore. I then tried Clays and never looked back. break em all Jeff

Jerry Coy thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700x federal papers 1oz
700x paper hulls
700x powder recipes
federal paper 20 grains of 700x
federal paper reloads 700x 1oz
hodson 700x powder receipts for trap loads
how many grains in a trap load

how many grains of hodgdon 700x for trap loads