1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many grains in an ounce???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Just wondering

2. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Just wondering

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

About two tablespoons.

ss

4. parker20

parker20 TS Member

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

7000 (the number of grains in a pound)/16 (the number of ounces in a pound)=7000/16 x grains/ounce

Neil

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil,

Do you have a graph for that? :)

I'll agree with Neil. 7000 grains per pound, 437.5 grains per ounce.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

As the old phrase goes, "A pint is a pound the world around".

I still like my answer better:)

ss

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've never bothered to count them, but i would imaging that the number could vary a lot depending on the size of the grains! good luck with it

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

in the future use the google ounce to grain search or grains to ounce, it will come up with a chart. I print them out and keep them at my bench. Almost any conversion you want is there

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

short shucker,

"A pint is a pound" is only true under very specific circumstances. First the liquid must be water. A pint of gasoline is less than a pound as is any liquid that floats on water.

An Imperial pint is larger than a U. S. pint and is about 20 imperial ounces of H<sub>2</sub>O and weighs about 1.25 pounds.

Precious metals and apothecary goods were sold in troy (or apothecary) ounces of 480 grains each, while everything else was traded in avoirdupois ounces of 437.5 grains each. An ounce of gold (31.1 grams) weighs more than an ounce of feathers (28.35 grams). On the other hand, the troy pound has only 12 ounces, while the avoirdupois pound has 16 ounces, so a pound of gold (373 grams) weighs less than a pound of feathers (454 grams).

This is what happens when politicians are allowed to define measurement units.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

tachyon

So where does the "British Pound" fit in all of this?

12. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

The Brits are all screwed up. They measure their money in pounds and their weight in stones, and their speed in kilometers per hour.

It's no wonder their teeth are set on edge!

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My last two cell phones did conversions for ounces to grains. I use it when calculating shotgun recoil on the web or sometimes when reloading. Both of them are just the cheap models of phones. Comes in handy.

14. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

WOW
    Looks like a reloading manual would be a prudent purchase,

Craby

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Quackshot,

Here's an explanation of the "pound" from Wikipedia.

"It dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, when coins called sterlings were minted from silver; 240 of these sterlings weighed one pound, and large payments came to be made in "pounds of sterlings"."

Eric

16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Or it is 400 loads per 25 lb bag!!!!

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

According to Snopes, Neil is wrong. This is actually a trick question, kind of like asking what the square root of a million is.....nobody will ever really know.

18. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Short shucker.........about 2 tablespoons!!!...thanks, that sure makes my reloading a lot simpler..........RUN"EM.........

19. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Tere are two kinds of grains. I can't spell either of them but one is used in ammo and it is 7000 grains in a pound according to my reloading book.

20. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Gee thanks EE, (Shooting class I guess) Just for your info, it's nice to ask some folks on this web site to give me a hand while I'm downstairs just asking a question, so I don't have to go to the garage where my info is to answer a VERY simple question, as it is cold any rainy here, I was tired and my friends on this site could give me a quick hand, thanks for those who gave me that hand. I'm loading Clays powder and use a balance scale for my measurements, I have a new digital scale that I took from some drug dealers that only measures in GRAMS, just wanted to know how many GRAMS were 18.4 grains of CLAYS so I could double check loads that I were loading FOR SURE! Nice post EE, have a nice day. By the way, the load I am using, is indeed, 1.192, in Grams, that will win you state championships, I know. regards. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many grains in an ounce