1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many grains in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 oz?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have wrongfully assumed that when you install a charge bar that says 1/2 that it is actually 1/2 oz and same goes for 3/4 or 1 oz. I found a chart that I think is correct and the 1/2 oz bar was 40 grains under 1/2 oz. The 3/4 bar was almost 80 grains off or less than 5/8 oz. The 1 oz was almost 90 grains off. I have recently gotten the scale back from having it calibrated so hopefully it's right. Counting the shot won't help since they seem to be made up with shot from 8 to 10's. I had ofen wondered when the shot seemed loose in the hull. Is this common on the charge bars? Someone please give me the grains for those shot loads please. I almost forgot, I am checking it with number 9 shot. Thanks for your help and info. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Jack

That is good. Thanks a lot. I still couldn't believe how wrong the mec charge bars are. I have spare bars for all of the reloaders but won't check them until I have to remove those installed now for maint/cleaning or something. I appreciate the help. Jackie B.

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

MEC bars give a volume of shot, you will get different results with differnt sizes of shot due to packing.

Also, you will see that you will get more weight with chilled shot than with magnum. Magnum shot has a higher % antimony, which is less dense than lead, creating harder, yet lighter shot.

The bars are a very good approximation, the only way to get the exact amounts you are looking for is to get a universal bar and dial it in. To me it is a non issue, but if your anal about that type of thing universal is the only way to go. -Rich

4. darr

darr Well-Known Member

If you want to be precise get a Universal charge bar.No more bushings to mess with and you can dial in every batch of shot or powder to perfection.I hhave 4 MECs and a Universal on all of them.They are worth the $30.00

Darr Wilson

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Rich and Darr. I am anal enough to want to be as close as possible with shot and powder charges and Universal bars have been in my Grabber since the late 70s and 9000H since it was bought in the 80s. BUT even with them, I find there's some variance from one year to the next in purchases of bags of shot. When I start a new bag, I'll check the shot drop a couple of times to ensure consistency and some adjusting is often needed....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Bag the bushings and yes, both powder and shot will change density with different lots. I have adjustable charge bars on my Dillon because it came that way and I appreciate the consistancy I can achieve when I get a new jug of powder or a new shipment of lead.

You're not the only anal one out there.

Smash Em,

Jerry

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Jackie

Go to the URL above. This web site converts any thing you may want. I find it very useful from time to time. Check it out.

Frank

PS; Darr Wilson comments about the adjustable charge bar, is good advice. I have two of them; one for 1 ounce and the other for 11/8 ounce.

8. Shooting Jack

Pull Bang Thanks, I loaded that to my favorites so it will be easy to go back if needed. I had a conversion table that came with my reloaders but couldn't see it for looking. Jackie B.

I was looking at a adjustable charge bar and saw how easy it would be to adjust the shot charge but I must have overlooked something on the powder charge. I would need to set it at 1x 31 for 13 grains of Unique for 28 gauge but could not see the one setting on the bar when mounted on the reloader. Am I overlooking the obvious. Jackie B.

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Jackie

The adjustable charge bars can be contrary to work with. I found that to tweak or fine-tune the powder drops, turn the knob BACK, than in small increments turn it forward until you obtain what your want. You really should have an electronic scale to set up the adjustable charge bar.

The same for the shot drop.

Good luck.

Frank

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I have the handiest conversion tool for a PC you ever saw. Send me your email with a subject line of "Conversion program wanted" and I will email it to you. It will convert almost anything to anything. Like there is 7000 grains in a lb. Another one of the lookups indicates that there is 16 ounces in a pound. Another look up indicates that there is 437.5 grains in an ounce. We are discussing avoirdupois pound here and not troy - right? For you Englishmen, there is 98000 grains in a stone.

No - Mec is usually on the light side. I hone my bars a bit to get them closer. Universal often hangs to the left and screws everything up.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This web site is great for conversions, and tons of other stuff.

12. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Do any of you gentlemen know a web site that will give me acreage and distances if I input the lat/long cordinates of the corners of a piece of property?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz is how many grains

1 shooter how many oz

3 4 oz in grains

4 mm on boots in how many grains

grains less than one ounce

how many grains in 1 ounce

how many grains in 1 oz

how many grains in a