1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many from your club are going to the Grand????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

10 shooters from Birmingham Gun Club in Michigan will at at the Grand. This is about 15% of our membership. We are 600 miles away.

Don Verna.

2. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Were 20 min. away from the old Grand American i only know of a couple and one of them is going to work there. Kirk

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

None.

Seems most travelling shooters are going to the Cardinal Center instead of the Grand.

Curt - Delaware

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

The GRAND is the Grand. A shoot at Cardinal is just another shoot. I find it hard to believe most travelling shooters are going to Cardinal. Don't get me wrong, I hope the Cardinal does very well & continues to prosper and grow, however, it is not the Grand American. As far as I can see, for at least 6 more years, the Grand will be in Sparta---end of story!!!!!!!!! JMO Colonel

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

At least 4 from my small club. I'm a traveling shooter and the 600 miles is a nice one day trip for such a Grand event.

6. zinger

zinger Member

Colonel, yes the Grand is the Grand, but the Cardinal Classic is thousands of dollars cheaper, 9 hours closer and still just as much fun. Why is it hard for you to believe that travelling shooters can't make it?

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Zinger, I said I do wish the Cardinal great success as I would any club. I understand finances sometimes limited ones ability to participate where travel/cost is involved. The Grand is still the Grand & that is in Sparta.
    I live 20 miles from Sparta so my travels/cost are small. I did travel to 5 Grand Americans when they were in Vandalia, Ohio also. Some years I went & sometimes I could not go. I get it! My point is that this is still the Grand. Nothing more than that. Enjoy yourself no matter where you shoot, it's all good. Colonel

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Grand is the Biggest little trap shoot in the world ... I have heard dozens of people say that they don't need those that do not want to travel to Sparta, obviously they do need them because the attendance keeps dropping without them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

The Cardinal Classic shoot is the week after the Grand, so we're going to both!
    Why pick only 1 to go to. Let's go to them all!

Trapgeek

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

better question might be, how many shooters are going to the grand to shoot. alot of shooters from my area, just window shop on vender rowe
    at the grand, and try a used gun and shoot practice.
    steve balistreri

11. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Steve,

Why would anyone drive 4 or 5 hours to go to the Grand and NOT shoot a single bird. Does not make sense to me.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Steve,

You and your buddies are lucky to be close enough to attend just to shop, and maybe try out a couple of guns. I envy your good fortune.

The vendors will be ecstatic if 25% of the league/casual trap shooters within a 100 miles radius come down and spend money. Let's hope that happens so we can keep the vendors coming.

On another thread, you wondered if there was a difference between League shooters and ATA shooters. Serious ATA shooters will go to the Grand to shoot even if it is 600 miles away. Not many of us in SE Michigan are happy about the Grand being another 8-9 hour drive away; but the Grand is in Sparta. 15% of my club will be there. We may whine about it a bit; but we shoot the Grand.

Honestly, I believe Sparta was a mistake. People will only travel so far before they refuse to attend. Fuel costs and travel time play into the decision for most of us.

Too bad your book is not ready. You would make a killing at the Grand. There isn't a shooter out there who cannot identify with some of your experiences.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.