1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how many feet per senond is 39 mph

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

Just wondering on doubles.how much difference a second or so can make.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

57.2fps

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Except . . .

It doesn't work for comparing target speed measured by radar guns and chronographs.

Why? Extra credit for both reasons.

Neil

4. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

The radar gun uses the Doppler effect to register a speed (the change in frequency of the radio wave as it bounces off of the measured object) - radar measures the speed at a specific time.

The chronograph measures speed by the time it covers a specific distance which is an average speed and if the object is changing speed it will give a different reading.

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

39 MPH is 57.2 FPS

BTW: 1200 FPS is 818 MPH; 1350 FPS is 920 MPH - pretty fast

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

OK, BFJ201 that's a great reason (I'd not thought of) but it can't account for the quite different speeds you would actually get by measuring a single target - neither system is capable of such fine-grained accuracy. You got a couple of pellets into it with imaginative analysis, but the scorer sees only dust, no visible piece, unfortunately.

Neil

7. romie

romie Active Member

I am not splitting hairs but If I take one second longer it will have moved approximately 19 yards or 57 ft.Approximately assuming it is slowing down it will be a little less

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

here's on e for you...what slows down faster: the target or the shot!?!? Or the same.

9. romie

romie Active Member

according to Newton the same.Although he didn't have domed targets at the time

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

The biggest difference is that the chronograph is measuring the clay just as it leaves the trap at it's fastest speed and the radar gun measures the target some distance (variable by gun and setter) from the trap as it is slowing down.

--- Chip King ---

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Remember that 1 mph is 1.466 feet/sec and multiply from there.

MK

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Which ever object encounters the greater air resistance slows down faster. HMB

13. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

ie::: ballistic coefficient (BC) an object ability to overcome air resistance in flight....wonder what the BC of a clay target would be????Grubby

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

+
    The acceleration of the shot is much greater than for the target both in being launched and being slowed by air friction. Acceleration is also known as the change in velocity with respect to time. So the shot looses velocity at a much greater rate than the target.

The applicable Newtonian therory in this case is that the acceleration due to gravity is a constant and affects the target and the shot equally. Gravity is that nasty downward force that doesn't always appear to be a constant because different objects experience different amounts of counterbalancing drag while passing through air. An example would be two guys jumping out of an airplane at the same time at 5,000 feet agl. One deploys a parachute and the other doesn't ... which one hits the ground first?

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

7mm rifle bullet has better BC than a 30 caliber bullet - with both being roughly equal in shape and weight. The 7mm simply flys better.

Gravity question - a 22 rifle and and a 300 winmag both barrels set at same angle to the ground and then fired simo. The bullets hit the ground at (about) the same time due to gravity?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"The bullets hit the ground at (about) the same time due to gravity?"</i>

Yes

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Same time if the barrels were level with the ground plane, but the winmag would have traveled way farther. Drop one at the muzzle and when the fired bullet hits the ground the dropped one will hit at the same time.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mythbusters actually tested this recently, and when they finally figured out how to release the bullet and shoot the 45 ACP at exactly the same time, the results were that the drop time was within milliseconds of being exact.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tim, I'd wager their measuring equipment/timing was farther off than the actual time it took for both bullets to hit the ground!

Hap

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hap,

It was a pretty elaborate setup, and was filmed with high speed, high resolution cameras. They did a pretty good job, in my estimation.

The biggest stumbling block they had to overcome (not surprisingly) was to get the bullet to drop at <i>exactly</i> the same time as the gun fired.

I was impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.