1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many coyote hunters here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And I don't mean frustrated deer hunters taking it out on a yodel dog. Active coyote hunters.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

that's me, just got back from whyoming and called in a dozen coyotes in 2 days. heading to texas in january. how can i help you.

3. smsnyder

gordy, what state?

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Going out in the morning if the wind isn't blowing too hard. Have a score to settle. Called in two Fri. evening(got down wind of me) end of that story. Sat. morn called one in and (can't believe this) missed. Coyotes two--me 0. I'll get even. Steve

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

2 weeks ago 8 coyotes,1 bobcat and a fox in 11/2 days in the mojave desert between the 2 of us..I went with a predator hunting fanatic and learned alot about it.Had a great time and also saw many more animals we didn't get a shot at.

Darr

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Darr, that's where I started predator hunting in the late 60s also. Many coyotes and few bobcats, called in one mountain lion but didn't get a shot! Hap

7. Eleanor

Eleanor TS Member

Define coyote ?

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

About the same conditions here Gordon. Just checked outside. No wind at the moment. Stopped snowing about an hr. ago. Think it's a go for me if I wake up in time. Good luck.--Steve

9. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

What are you all using for calls??? Mouth, electronic ??? I've seen some very expensive calls that sell for over $300 and I've also seen some that sell for under $50 that have a few different programmed calls. I know the big expensive calls work well, but how about the less expensive ones??? I raise sheep and I'm fighting coyote problems all the time. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tony G (Texas)

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Tony, I only use a mouth call. Mostly Olt and an old wooden Wheems, but there are some very small inexpensive electronic units out that work ok.Check Cabela's Steve

11. smsnyder

gordy, i have been applying for an elk permit in utah now for 10 years. any areas you suggest i apply or hunt if drawn?

12. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Yote hunter here. I hunt S. Texas. I use a JS Prey Master E-caller and a Savage .204 Ruger. I let the air our of a few this past Thansgiving plus a hog.

13. Questor

Questor TS Member

I tried it and didn't really care for it. My problem was that I didn't have an application for the hides, and didn't want to kill the animals because they weren't really pests where I hunted. So I decided to leave them alone.

Now prairie dogs are a different story, and I enjoy shooting them. Some may disapprove, but the reality is that they will either be shot by shooters or they will be poisoned. In either case, they are doomed on the ranches I shoot. The general philosophy with the ranchers is that they seldom want the dog towns exterminated. They just want to keep them from getting bigger.

One of the most devastating things ever to happen to prairie dogs was a few years back when there was a movement to make them endangered or threatened species (the ones that are commonly shot in the Dakotas and Wyoming and Montana are not in any way threatened). A lot of ranchers and property owners poisoned the dog towns on their land to the extent that the entire dog towns were wiped out-- fully exterminated. They didn't want to deal with the threat of having endangered species on their land, which is a major hassle. So the kind hearted people who petitioned for saving the prairie dogs ended up indirectly killing more prairie dogs than shooting ever has, and also permanently destroyed thousands of prairie dog towns that may never again be suitable for prairie dogs after the cattle start living on the land.

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Have not done so for several years now. But, in the past was an aerial gunner for predator control board in Wyoming. Used 12guage and number 2 lead out of super cub flying very low. One winter we got just over 200 flying on weekend mornings only. Most I ever bagged in one day was 26 coyotes and 10 fox. The spring after that winter the foreman of one sheep ranch told me that they had the smallest lamb loss in 25 years.

Shooting out of an airplane is a real rush but, probably not the safest thing one can do. pk

15. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Im one also, I love to call in coyotes and bobcats, although I havent had a chance to do much this year, but I will settle down for a week or two of hunting. I am finding(here in central missouri) that the bobcats are multiplying every year, and more big cats(mountial lions)are being spotted by local farmers out and about. I would like to call in a big cat just to see what our conservation dept would have to say. I have a buddy who let a friend of his trap 12 bobcats in two-weeks on one area of his farm just north of highway 36 in central missouri, and trapping buddies of mine are doing well the past couple of years on bobcats as well. I used to be "that guy" that lived in the woods from 0ct to Jan, but I am finding that predetars and ducks are action packed enough for me...... Good Luck....

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I am guilty. I like to call em and we also drive them.............Roger

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Phil K., Beuford Baily used to hunt them from a plane yrs. ago. Think he had the opposite door removed and a shotgun rigged on a strap strung across the door.

Don't know if you remember,but a yr.ago last Sept. (wind, some snow,and cold) during that clinic we had one cross the trap range in front of us while we were shooting there in Cheyenne. Steve Elliott

P.S. I still applaude you for continuing the clinic that day under some rather adverse conditions.

18. BL

BL Member

Am celebrating my 51st winter of calling old Wiley me and the old winchester swift have put many on the boards.

19. hoser

hoser Member

I've shot a few while in deer camp. We hang the gut piles on fences 200-300 yards from the hut we stay in, and wait for dusk. Used my .223 or my recent acquired .204.

Always got one or two each year.

One year I called one right up to within 10 yards using a mouse squeaker...I didn't see him til he was about 20 yards away. What a rush!! That one got away though!!

20. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

hoser, several yrs. ago I had one jump in my lap. I was sitting just over the rim of a sand creek in a blowout. He came in behind me. All I saw before he ended up in my lap was a shadow. He then decided to leave the same way he came in and clawed his way back over my shoulder. After I cleaned my drawers out,I stood up and cleaned his drawers with a 22-250 round. I was suprised to find that he was a large older male. Must have been hungry. Still a rush calling those critters after over 40yrs. of doing it. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.