1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many clubs have NRA range Officers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

How many clubs make their Range Officers go through the NRA RO classes to get certified?

Thanks!

Bill

2. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Only the ones that run by an intrussive oversite-board, who doesn't understand the sport, are afraid of their shadow and feel an over whelming surge of power rush to their heads when they implement needless rules such as this.

God forbid they look at historical facts. If they did, they would find that Trapshooters regulate themselves just fine with oversite from experienced peers. Not saying it doesn't happen occasionally......but how many times do you hear about major accidents occurring at a trap range; not very often. If they want to come up with rediculous requirements (based on no evidence of improvements to safety), why don't they impose a rule that you can't be a range officer until you have X-amount (say 10,000) targets under your belt. That would at least make sense. If you have to send someone to a "sanctioned training" to feel safer about things; the gun club is already screwed.........putting newbies in charge of a shooting range, only becuase they have a certificate of completion is actually making things less safe.

Sorry Bill, probably not the answer you were looking for, but the morons who are on that board are just that.......MORONS. That dude should go back to Hanford if he needs to feel important and wants to live in a "zero-risk" world. I worked there and know their type. They can't make it any where else (other than at the government trough), then they actually get the sense that they know how to run things. They just need to stay out of the trapshooters world and stay in that strange bench-rest world, where they need the structure of someone telling them when you can open your gun, fart, load your gun, blink, shoot your gun, scratch your head.........God their are weird!

Shane

3. Bill Roberts

Why don't you say how you really feel. Lol

4. greengael

greengael Member

Uh!, he did ask about "clubs" not just trap clubs. our club has had a major influx of "bullet" shooters and we will not open the rifle, outdoor or indoor pistol ranges without a certified range safety officer on duty. Your intemperate response indicates just the kind of jackass that we try to eliminate, or at least to supervise.

5. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

LOL.......sorry Bill. It's these folks that are gonna ruin a good thing. Mark my words, if they are allowed to continue, they will run your place like a rifle/pistol range with little swarthy men with inferiority complexes running around barking out orders to everyone just becuase they have their name engraved on some crappy tag pinned to their shirt lapel. It won't be any safer, it will only suck!

How does one get on that board?

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And your post completely overlooks the fact that there are anal retentive range officers who go on complete power trips and in the long run wind up ruining the range experience for many completely safe shooters. They've come to be known as Range Nazis.

7. greengael

greengael Member

Everyone wants to go home, deal with it moron.

8. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Sorry Greengael,

I just happened to know he was talking about trap clubs. Also dumb-ass, what I said was, sending someone to a NRA training for a certificate was not a good idea. I'm fine with a range officer as long as they are practical and logical.....not just anyone who passed a silly training class put on by presumptious tards such as yourself. As I beleive in capitalism, please tell me the name of your club so I can ensure I don't do you the favor of spending my money there.

Oh yah, congratulations on your NRA certification, you're exactly the type that I suspected would have one.

Shane

P.S. Brian from Oregon....once again, you're dead on! Classic.

9. greengael

greengael Member

Ah, intuitive!

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had a safety person get highly upset and tell our trap chairman to shut down a long yardage practice shoot.I asked what he deemed so dangerous and it was the two yard stagger between shooters. Pointed out that the ATA and PITA feel it is safe along with the fact that one of the shooters is a HOF guy and three of the others have won state championships. They know what they are doing. He responded;"well I don't like it". He is not a trapshooter and also does not like my release trigger! When the weather gets warmer I will spring the 3 yard exception on him.

11. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Wrong word.......not "intuitive"....."observative" is the correct word (actually the inverse). As in, I have observed you being a dumb-ass.

12. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Fedex.....that's exactly my point. I don't think range officers are a bad idea, I just think they need to know what is going on in the dicipline they are supervising. A peice of paper signed by a dork named "greengael" is not going to ensure anyone is any safer.

13. greengael

greengael Member

You have truly revealed yourself. I need add no more.

14. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

good. Now go back and watch Pelosi or whoever you voted for. Also, if I recall, you were the one going on the offensive calling folks morons and jack-asses. Don't start it if you don't like it.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Few however I am no fan of the current NRA certification system which is an employment agency for a few cronies and a source of income to the NRA. (same for the Aim program!)

In years past I was an NRA instructor but since they started to bleed prospective instructors with unreasonable fees for the courses I am against them. The attendees of the courses are mostly volunteers who donate much of their time to the betterment of the sport I feel that they could create a Volunteer Instructor pool to train the future range officers or instructors for minimal fees and help the sport much more than lining the pockets of the instructors and the group teaching the course.

Just my opinion but in the past the certification as an instructor was basically a safety knowledge test and it cost almost nothing.

The other problem with the classes from what I have observed is that depending on who gives the class almost anyone can pass. Once passing these programs then there is an assumption by some whom have taken the courses that they are now qualified to instruct shooters for pay as if they are instantly expert Olympic level instructors.

Now I may be a bit bitter since at one time I designed one of these programs for shot gunning and offered the program and the instruction for a materials only fee and had even secured some private funding to help with instructors traveling expenses. The program was turned down in favor of offering an almost identical program for several hundred dollars to the attendees.
    Joe Goldberg

16. Bill Roberts

So are there any Trap clubs that require their RO's to be NRA cert?

Thx Bill

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

None that I know of including a few that are NRA member only clubs.
    Joe

18. Bill Roberts

19. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have somewhat of a certification of being a Range Officer through the 4H programs.

If your going to have a "competition" in a shooting disciple, you'd better have a Range Safety Officer! Trap/skeet not so much, its a little different then pistol/rifle/indoor, shooting events.

If you have one, the shoot will go a whole lot smoother. There is always a need for someone to be in charge and have "authority".

Someone has to be able to tell a adult "your a accident waiting to happen, leave the firing line immediately" and see to it that it happens. Also when a shooter is not paying attention like they should be, call them on it.

Your not being a "Nazi" by enforcing the rules or safety issues on a firing line.

I think that's why in trap shooting the 16 yd line is not called a firing line. I do appreciate the trap shooting events I've been to. NO RFO's but if you make a wrong move, SOMEONE WILL put you in your place!! or ask you to leave!

I've had to watch my p's and Q's at trap shoots with things I see take place, but again because its a different type of shooting.

20. Bill Roberts

To clarify we have trained RO's now just not NRA trained.

There's a move to require them all to be NRA cert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.