1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Bee Keepers Are On This Site??????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I'm in Va and I have had as many as 4 hives. I'm now down to 2 hives. I have been a bee keeper for about 26 years.

Who else on here have bee's?

2. psfive

psfive Member

What does one have to learn or do to keep bees? Paul in Nebraska.

3. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Always wanted to know about that too!!

D.P.Reynolds

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nothing better than fresh honey. My uncle has six hives in Southern IL. I helped him out one summer with the honey extraction part. It was an interesting procedure with the bee smoker. Its an uneasy feeling the first time you put on that bee suit and start gently removing the frames. Its a neat hobby.

P.S. My uncle doesn't even wear a net on his face anymore. I on the other hand duct taped everything tightly.

5. Auctioneer

The best way to learn about bee's is to see if there is a group in your area that have monthly meetings. You then can learn from that till someone takes you under their wing and show you what you need and what to do.

Google bee keepers in your area. Go to your farmers co-op(seed store, hardware store, bee supply place in your area). They just might know of people and groups.

I'm a bee keeper not a bee haver. Whats the diff? A bee keeper will work his bee's, feed his bee's and take care of his bee's. A bee haver just gets bee's and forgets about them. In other words he does nothing with them.

Be a bee keeper. Its alot more fun. Start with one hive till you learn how to work one hive then go to two or more. I just don't want you to get in over your head.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A friend of mine has about 150 hives and I've help him a little, not enough to count but one thing I know is that they will sting me and pass everyone else up. LOL I have been amazed for the past two years at all the hives that are brought down here in South Georgia for the winter. I'm talking thousands. I've learned that they bring them down by semi truck loads to protect against the cold. Unfortunately they also bring diseases. One of my friends is a inspector for Southeast Georgia. There's a lot more to bee keeping than most people think. Jackie B.

7. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

My beekeeping days ended about 15 years ago but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them. Still have some beautiful comb in the freezer.

:)

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I was introduced to bees by a 'bee haver' - he wanted to place hives at my house in that we had about ten giant Linden trees and the honey from them is exceptional.

From working around them (hey, someone had to cut the grass...) I became a bee keeper - climbing trees to collect swarms, feeding in the winter, re-stacking the supers, painting the hives, etc.

We lost them all to what at the time was called foul brood - I suspect it was one of the mites or this new "thing" that is going around (I live in S.E. PA - this area has been hit hard)

Several good friends have recently put in a few hives each and I keep jealously looking for a place at my present house to tuck a hive or two...

TRICK - put one less frame in your supers that are destined to hold honey - the bees will build the comb out further - which puts the 'caps' above the frame. Makes de-capping a whole lot easier...

9. Auctioneer

I use to put ten frames in the supers but now I only put nine. To those who wonder how you do so you order frame spacers from the bee cat. Its worth the money.

For winter I rap the hive with tar paper and duct tape it in place. Just enough to go around the hive one time with a fair amount of over lap. I will put extra tape on the top so that snow and rain doesn't drain down inside the tar paper. It works well and the black paper does keep the hive warm in the cold days and nights. When spring comes around I just wait till all the cold nights are passed and take it off before it gets to hot during the day.

I also think I have found a queen bee just 45 min south of me. I will know more Mon or Tues.

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Glad to see there are 'bee keepers' on this site, the FIL kept bee hives and passed unexpectedly in January. We have had fresh honey for 15 years....

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Always been interested ever since father in-law had a few.He lost his to some kind of moth,never got around to getting him to show me how to get started.He's 91 now,I wonder if he could still get me strted if I ask.

Doug H.

12. grntitan

Doug--You may be suprised what that man still knows. I have two Grandparents of 90+ and they are both quite with it. The stories from them are priceless.

13. Auctioneer

I bet if you get him a chair and something to drink HINT HINT he will be more then happy to help you get waht you need and help you from the chair put it all together. Don't let him do any work of course but do the pointing. He will be glad you ASKED him to help.

14. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I am a newbee (!) with 1 colony. These were feral bees that were hiving in the wall of neighbors storage shed. i have had them about 2 months now and they seem to be doing well. i am hopeful I can split them in another 6-8 weeks. They are fascinating.

K

15. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have had bees for ten years now. Always a struggle with the two different mites. Seem to lose a hive or two every winter. They are a lot of work but I do enjoy watching them. I'm down to three hives right now, have had as many as 6.

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of honeybees in a catalpa tree in the yard. My little dog runs over and sticks her nose in the hole near the ground every morning, but she nor anyone else have not been stung yet. They also hover around the little pond I have in my yard. I would like to get rid of them before they sting the grand kids, but I don't want to kill them. Any ideas out there?

17. grntitan

tripod---Call some local exterminators. I know you said you did not want to kill them but the exterminators may know some bee keepers that would come do it for the bees. Another option would be to look in the yellow pages for bee keepers in your area. Just a thought. My neighbor in my old neighborhood had such a tree. A guy came and removed them for free. Just wanted the bees.

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have been beeking for a few years now.. just wish i had more time to spend doing it..lol..

19. Auctioneer

Years ago and I forgot about it I had a clear hive that was in the window in the house. Talk about watching bee's. People would come in the room and start to look around then notice the bee hive scream and run out. In time they notice the bee's were contained. They then started to relax and enjoy watching them. The only problem was you just couldn't maintain the hive because you couldn't open it up to say kill and replace the queen. It was fun to have in the house and if you can do so do it yourself.

20. grntitan

Auctioneer---i am a truck driver by trade. There was a place i stopped one time that had a hive partly inside and partly outside. It was glass so you could see it all. I believe it was at a "Stuckeys". It was very neat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.