1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Bags of Shot Can A 3/4 ton Truck Haul ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trim tab, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

You shouldn't have any problem. Put most of the weight toward the front of the bed

2. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

How far are you going to haul them. Short distance you can haul 2000 lbs. Put the bags over the rear wheels and to the front of the box to spread out the load. If you have load range D tires if load range c tires 1500 lbs. Make sure the air in your tires are near max inflation and tires in good shape. mark

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A lot dpends on hopw far your traveling and how fast. How long will the weight be on the vehicle? Once in awhile loaded correctly will not be a problem.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If it was a Chevy you could haul it. I wouldn't risk it on a Dodge.
    Just kidding. How far do you have to haul it? I wouldn't attempt it with a 4 hour drive. A half hour drive, yes. Get a tonner.....or larger. Get the load centered, or your steering and headlights will be poo-poo.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I regularly carry 80 bags in a 1/2 ton GMC pickup, 50 miles to my home. Weight forward, 12 bags in the front passenger side and tires at maximum inflation.

Ed Yanchok

7. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used to haul a ton of shot ,20,000 wads,20,000 primers,and 48lbs of powder 150 miles each year in a Ford Ranger Super cab 4-4.All hiway miles.It just took a little longer to stop .KS-OKIE.

8. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

The truck grosses at 8800. Depending on the configuration of the truck(reg cab, 2/4 wheel, diesel etc.., it should be legal for between 1600-2800lbs. If you really need to know check the owners manual. That being said, I regulary put 2 tons in my 3/4, 2wd, reg cab, diesel Dodge. Spread the weight out a little, mostly front, tires max psi(all 4), and don't drive like me.

9. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

hualed 1 ton on the rear of a 3/4 ton dodge/cummins. barely even made the thing squat and didn't know it was even there.hauled over 150 miles

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You can afford 80 bags of shot???

Or is this a heist from a sporting goods store?

Hauxfan!

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

As others have said, it should easily haul it but beware of tire issues. You also won't be able to stop on a dime like before, either.

12. 100straight

100straight Member

Most 3/4 ton pickups have a GVW (gross vehicle weight) around 8000 lbs and weigh in the neighborhood of 4500 lbs. You do the math. If it won't haul 2000 lbs all day long it's a poor excuse of a truck. If you really want to know, the GVW should be listed on a tag inside the driver's door. Take the empty truck to a grain elevator and ask to weigh it. If you're nice they probably won't charge you anything. Just subtract the empty weight of the truck from the rated GVW to find out what it is rated to haul.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How many trips?

14. pn

pn TS Member

I have a little 1/2 ton Chevy Crew Cab. I have carried over 1 & 1/2 tons several times a little over 160 miles home on the interstate. The trick is weight distribution, I get at least 15-bags in the front floor board and another 25-30 sacks in the back seat floor. I stack the rest as far forward as possible in the bed.

Be careful, the first thing you will notice is that you can not stop very well. Don't drive fast, I run about 65 in a 70 (usually about 80) and don't change lanes fast or run off the shoulder. The tires will get hot and the nerves frayed, but we make it home.

It may not be the best of safty. No bent frame or wrecks so far.

15. dshot

dshot Member

You will have to have someone riding guard, with that value of cargo. A shotgun guard

16. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I have carried over 2000lbs more than i can count in my F-150 without a problem. I did a full draft of 8' 6x6 posts one time which was beyond stupid. The trucks can carry alot more than they are rated for. I do have a f-250 now and recently carried a 2600lb diesel engine with a gear and it barely squatted the truck. I drove it 5 hours at 70 mph very comfortably. With that being said, i would not worry about 80 bags of shot. Its a good load, but nothing a light duty truck couldn't handle. Wow, i just did the math on 80 bags, HOLY S**T.

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

If you haven't figured it out, tires are as important as springs. It's kind of like drinking and driving, drive fast and limt your "exposure".

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Well if ya figger it this way 60 bags in the back (3/4 ton) and 20 bags in front (500 lbs) that is the same as having a couple of typical Trapshooter with ya!

19. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

The only mechanical difference between current model 3/4 ton and 1 ton Dodges are the extra (overload) leaf spring on the 1 ton trucks.

2,000 lbs is nothing for a 3/4 ton truck. I run that much routinely for 14 hrs straight -- 814 miles. Just put good, D or E load range tires under it, run at max (cold) inflation, and off you go. For my 3/4 ton diesel, the extra ton and a half in the back (with airbags under it) cost me 1 MPG. 19.3 mpg on the last trip, 68 mph average. HTH, Dutch.

20. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have done what Dutch has done. Must have good tires. Proper tire pressure. I put the ton of shot still on the pallet up next to the cab so all 4 wheels have the load. Just as others have said,,, your not gonna stop on a dime so allow extra stopping room and beware of city streets that have big dips. Take your time an enjoy the ride!!!!!
    WesleyB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.