1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many 24s before 25?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

How many 24s did you shoot before your first 25?

I hit my first 24 last week, dropped the first bird then ran the next 24, then 3 24s today, dropping the 25th, 13th, and 21st. I know Im close just wondering about other's experiences. -Rich

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

3. teleskier

teleskier Member

Rich, you have shot numerous 25's no doubt and don't realize it. Of course they have not been in the same round but you have done it. Stop counting birds and shoot just one target at a time. Before you know it, it will be 100 straight.

I can't tell you how many people I have out shot because they loose focus, beat themselves in the head mentally etc.

Hang in there, your goal is near...MIke

4. richrob

richrob TS Member

There is no doubt that I loose focus, and I will get over that. More than anything just looking for some good stories, Im sure there are people out there more frustrated than me.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Every target counts, the fact that you run out the 24 after dropping !1! is a plus. I see guys that are caple of hitting 25s they miss 1 and the end up dropping more after. If you are running 22 23 24s regulary 25s are just a focus point away.

6. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

A LOT! I always hit 24 before I hit 25.... (somebody had to be a smart ass..may as well be me).

Seriously, if you can hit 24, you'll hit 25. Just relax, stop counting targets and shoot each one. If you start thinking about that 25 you're going to drop targets. The only target that matters is the one floating in front of you...look at it, move the gun to it, and pop it! No other target, previous or coming matters, and once you start shooting one at a time you'll be hitting 25's, 50's, and more.

7. ScottD

ScottD TS Member

I shot 7 24s before running 'em all the first time. Now I shoot twice as many 24s as 25s. (I record scores so I can try to combat slumps.)

I you consistently drop just 1, you're really close. If you drop late birds, try to end the round on a station you find less callanging (for example, starting on station 4 will let you close out the 25 on 3).

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe the often stated advice of not counting targets is nearly impossible to do. If you are 20 or 90 straight, you know it. Enjoy your good shooting and look forward to breaking the next target. But, just as you mount your gun, then think only of smashing the target. Block out past and future scores from your mind for about 1/2 a second and think about keeping your head down. After you break the target, then enjoy the fact that you are straight until you mount your gun again.

You can concentrate on the next target for about 1/2 second but it is difficult to concentrate on only the next target for the entire round. You can worry about breaking the next target for long periods of time but you can only concentrate all of your effort toward breaking it for a short period of time.

Pat Ireland

9. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

I shot 1, 24 before I shot my first 25. I shot that first 25 in my second registered ATA shoot. I shot 6 25s between the 16s and the handicap that day. Ran 2 fields back to back for 50 straight in both the handicap and 16s. I got punched a yard and went from penalty B class right into B class. Mike

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I shot no 24s before my 25 just went from 22-23 to 25. Right now I am shooting way more 24s that should be 25s. Last year at the grand, 16 yard singles, I shot 6 24s in a row 1 was in practice then 2 23s and a 22, needless to say I was frustrated and on the 1st 23 of the day I dropped the last 2 targets talk about screwing your score I remember thinking oh well its another 24 and then dropped the last bird. No matter what just stay focused on that damn bird!

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"I shot 1, 24 before I shot my first 25. I shot that first 25 in my second registered ATA shoot. I shot 6 25s between the 16s and the handicap that day. Ran 2 fields back to back for 50 straight in both the handicap and 16s. I got punched a yard and went from penalty B class right into B class. Mike"

That's terrific, Mike, but you left out the part about your truck and your sister-in-law.

Or, maybe I have the wrong Mike?

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Rich, I predict you will bang off a clean round on your next trip to the range. Like you said, you know you are about to make it happen. Just keep that positive mind set and shoot them one at a time.

I don't remember my first 25 but it seems like it took a couple thousand targets to get there. The only imporant thing is that you are having a good time blasting the clays. Shooting a high score is only the topping on the desert.

13. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

As many as it takes. lol

I would be happy to hit 24!

14. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I shot my first 25 two weeks ago. Before that there was one 24 in April or May. I followed the 25 with a 24, though. Since then it has been 22s and 23s. The hard rights from station 5 kill me. For the 25 I lucked out and didn't get a hard right from station 5. I don't miss a hard left from station 1.

15. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

There is some good advise and personel history on this thread. Once you are consistantly shooting 23's and 24's you are that 1/2 second of concentration that Mr. Ireland mentioned from shoot straight. Once I did it, the second came the next day, whenever I just shoot and, avoid shooting over that troublesome high right on station number four. Before anyone says it, I've already scheduled a day at the range to shoot as many high rights on station four as it takes to be automatic.

16. BMC

BMC Member

I don't recall if I shot a 24 before my first 25. I'm certain I never did get a 24 before then, it was mostly 21-23s.

17. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It will happen soon as you quit worrying about it.

Jim

18. letts

letts TS Member

The first time and only time I shot 25, I had not previously shot a 23 or a 24 so I reached 3 coals in one round, 23,24, & 25. I have shot a few 24s sense then, but no 25s
    I have been shooting for about a year. I shot the 25 in June.

Letts

19. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

this post kind of made me chuckle at myself. I just took up trap shooting at the age of 69 altho it seems that Ive had a gun in my hand since ive been 10. well after about a mounth I started wacking 25s than went up to a couple of 50s wow than I hit a 75 and a couple of 74s, now the bottom droped out a little bit I do know why. I just have to stop it Iam counting birds as the previous post said never worry about what you have done only what your going to do, now is all I have to do is practice what I preach

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland has it absolutely right. I don't care who you are, or how long you have been shooting, you KNOW exactly how many targets you are straight, or how many you are down, in an event. While we all count targets, the key here is to still take it one target at a time. When it's your turn to shoot, just concentrate on that one target and break it. Counting targets is ok as long as you don't dwell on it and let it interfer with you concentration.... Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.