1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How LOW with Green Dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

A buddy of mine used my gun last week for the first time and broke 24/25. I asked him what recipe was in his shells as he was smoking the birds (16yds SKB 85TSS unsingle with a comp-n-choke Modified choke). He said they were Green Dot with Fio209 primer/ 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's / Fig. 8 clapbuster wad / and that he used a 28 bushing on his MEC. He does not have a scale. I weighed my powder from a 28 bushing and it comes to 16.2 grains. I have seen no data for such a LOW amount of powder.....but it works????ANY EXPERIENE ON THIS???
    P.S...I'm trying a box of my own tonight as it SEEMS my gun like them

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use 18.2 grains Green Dot for 16 yards and they worked great with Win209 primers and Winchester AA wads but I got off-sounding loads with Remington primers and some older Blue Duster wads. I quit using Blue Dusters and Remington primers but I think the pressures would be too low with only 16.2 grains of Green Dot. They might Smoke a target but would have too low a velocity for me.

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

You don't see it on the loading data because that load will not cycle thru an auto!!!

But,,,,it is a very good load!!! The fact that it is "low speed" works out in the long run,,,the pattern is very good,,it holds,,speed does not blow it apart,,and will absolutly mash targets,,,that low speed matches a persons "timing" better than hot loads!!!

AKA Grammie..........

4. Pump Gun Pimp

Pump Gun Pimp TS Member

Rule of thumb ... If you have to buy powder, You HAVE to buy a scale.

5. incognito

incognito TS Member

OH MY GAWD!!!!

I,,,, agree??? with*** grammie....

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd like to see what that load does for velocity and how it holds up in colder weather. I've had good results with Green Dot while using Federal 209A Primers, but much less than satisfactory with the Fiocchi primers when the temps get low. That is unless you load it up to reasonably higher pressures. Always consult the data when substituting primers. You can experience a significant change in pressure when doing so.

I'd strongly suggest a scale for that guy. I've had some lots of Green Dot and Red Dot vary by almost a grain between certain lots. I don't think I'd like to play that game without checking the powder drops on a scale.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

grammie, I was interested in your comment " ,,,the pattern is very good,,it holds,,speed does not blow it apart,," because I wondered how you determined that. How many patterns, and more to the point, how many patterns did you do that did "blow apart." Be specific, please.

Neil

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If he reloads without a scale tell his wife to buy some insurance on him. Should pay out better than a lottery ticket.

jim brown

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Just shot my "25" shells.. 22/25 nice boom/good breaks. Ohio weather:42 degrees.
    Data: 16.2 grains Green dot/TGT wad/STS hull/Fed 209 primer. Worked JUST fine.
    Low recall...........but not as low as would have expected. As far as all the comments on the guy having a scale....If it's at at the low end "who cares" ?
    Anything below 8000psi shouldn't merit comments like "tell the wife to buy insurance". Yes, I agreee that a scale is VERY GOOD.....but if you reload on the conservative side of published data...I think you could (I will) bet the farm that all will be OK. I shot 2 more rounds at 29 bushing (17.4 grains) and I saw little diffwrence.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I loaded some 16.5 a year a two ago, if someone will give me some more Green Dot I will load tha load again.

Well maybe I should ask, will it work with a 7/8oz load? or even a 3/4 OZ?

Al

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

dkusner- First, since this person is a friend, take your scale over to his home and find out how much powder he is dropping.

Green Dot is one of my favorite powders but it is designed for mid to heavy loads. I only use it in the loads it was designed for and switch to Red Dot or American Select for lighter loads.

Pat Ireland

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

That's right Flincher. MEC's 28 bush say's 17 grains....I weigh 16.2 (actually I weigh 175 lbs LOL). They are conservative. Mr. Ireland, please try 16.2 grains of Green Dot with a Fed. 209 primer/1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's and ???I used a TGT12 wad. I promise (not guarantee) you will revisit green dot's low end !AND.....my buddy has been loading these for 2 years...AND shooting in -20degree temps here in OHIO. He has my scale now, we'll see if his bushing and mine are "close". I will also add that he's a "bean" counter" and is acurate.

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Flincher...If a man is so "cheap" as to not want to weigh, and goes to the "Low" end of manuals ...what's the problem??? other than shot falling out his barrell and going to the next highest bushing?What WOULD be scary,is a "cheap/scaleless" person loading to the MAX.I agrre to a point that it shoud be LAW..if you buy powder / you must own a scale. Think I'll get him one for Xmass !!

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

dkusner

Your first post stated that your friend's load was assembled with the Fiocchi primer. I think the Federal 209A primer may be the reason you can get decent cold weather performance from these loads. I had less than stellar performance in colder weather with a bit more powder using the Fiocchi primers in a similar load. Have you actually put any over a chronograph yet?

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You want a chronograph from a guy reloading without a scale?

Man, that's funny.

The real world will tell you that loads under 6K PSI will be erratic and have more velocity spread than is commonly considered desirable.Also will be dirty but that is secondary.

But if it works.................

HM

16. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You need to READ halfmile. I AM THE ONE THAT HAS A SCALE .....see above.Funny one Gary, as a matter of fact, I bought your excellent shell cutter because someone here gave me a bad recipe....and to boot it was with Green Dot. So, I've learned a little.Although I don't have a crono, I would venture t osay the load I posted (16.2 grains G DOT/TGT wad/Fed 209/REM STS hull) is at about
    1100 fps and WAY over 6K psi.Would really like to hear of someone "crono"ing one.Granted the Fed 209 helps, but my buddies have Fio209's and he shoots them all winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.