1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long until Republicans CAVE on shutdown?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ah, sports fans, here we are...a replay of the Clinton-era "Government Shutdown."

Anyone want to guess the outcome will be any different?

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I can hear their spines collapsing from here. I predict another round of dump the RINOs in 2012.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Actually, Boehner and the Republicans may just have out maneuevered the Dems this year. They now have set up/agreed to continue government with a Continuing Resolution (CR) as long as the dems agree to a 2 billion spending cut each week until a full budget is passed. The dems are now kind of hung out to dry, since if they turn this down and shut the government down over 2 billion by claiming there is not that much waste, etc they will look pretty stupid. But, the each week there is not a budget, spending is cut by another 2 billion. Pretty soon, that would add up to the 60 billion cutthe Republicans want in this years budget to begin with. Dems have suddenly gone pretty quiet about government shut down. Since all of the talk about shut down has come from dems this time (unlike last time), if they turn down this Republican "deal" over a mere 2 billion (really, it is much more, but sounds like a mere 2 billion) they will not only look foolish and obstinate, but to any half way thinking person, will obviously be the ones to blame for such a shut down. Even the lame stream can't likely cover that up.

Jim R

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ok...just playing devil's advocate and taking that at face value: if the dems settle it quick, and we get no additional cuts, and no shutdown...is that good?

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably not, but we can always soothe ourselves by listening to Mo'town.

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I don't know how the budget showdown will unfold. I do know this: $61 billion isn't a cut.

I might describe $61 billion as 'Mickey Mouse money' but in the context of the U.S. budget, $61 billion doesn't rise to the level of a Mickey Mouse amount. In reality $61 billion isn't enough to qualify as a rounding error.

jimrich60:

Don't underestimate the fawning parasites in Obummer's adoring media. In an effort to undermine the GOP's fiscal efforts (piddling as they may be), a PLETHORA of media outlets have labeled and bemoaned $61 billion as "radical" reductions.

And... Obummer's toadies in the business world are doing their best to help out as well. The LA Times ran this recent article:

Report: GOP budget cuts would hit U.S. economy

February 23, 2011|By Lisa Mascaro, Washington Bureau

Reporting from Washington — Spending cuts approved by House Republicans would act as a drag on the U.S. economy, according to a Wall Street analysis that put new pressure on the political debate in Washington.

The report by the investment firm Goldman Sachs said the cuts would reduce the growth in gross domestic product by up to 2 percentage points this year, essentially cutting in half the nation's projected economic growth for 2011.

----------

Readers might be inclined to give a negative Goldman Sachs economic analysis some credence if they didn't know Goldman Sachs was one of Obummer's biggest corporate supporters. Here's the skinny to back it up...

From an April 10, 2010 CNN report...

GOLDMAN SACHS WAS TOP OBAMA DONOR

Which said in part,

"According to Federal Election Commission figures compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics, Goldman Sachs' political action committee and individual contributors who listed the company as their employer donated $994,795 during 2007 and 2008 to Obama's presidential campaign, the second-highest contribution from a company PAC and company employees.”
    _________

So what we really have is Obummer's buddies at Goldman trying to help Obummer and his Congressional lib dems crew by floating an phony economic "analysis".

We've had a two year non-stop spending orgy by Obummer and his lib dem cronies. If conservatives aren't successful trimming a trifling $61 billion now, it's all over.

sissy

7. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

The repubs have already caved in. 61 billion is pocket change. I heard the new head of RNC last night speak, we, meaning congress repub will get together to speak about next years budget cuts. Who the hell is this dribble, what does he have to do with us, we didnt elect him, I for one want no part of him.
    I expected more from the repubs and the game is on, they will not give us cuts. I expected 500 billion easy. If we cut all fed employees obama just hired, 207 K people, every single one of them is paid by YOU, you pay for their health care, you dont have half as good as theirs, you pay for their pension, tell me now about your pension, OH you dont have one, your salary, did you start at 70K, no oh, but your paying that for them now. Congress, we must pass some law against them, no more pensions, no grandfather clause, they pay for their own health care,they must abide by the same laws we do, they must get salary cut, they make almost 200K a year for 2 days a week work, their staff makes more money than you do,has more benefits, thats OK with you, well its not with me. In case you havnt noticed all cuts proposed come from you, did anyone in congress say we must cut anyone or thing from govt, their are dozens of worthless programs that dont work, did you ever hear any repub say we must cut, except Paul. 50% of dept of ed's budget goes to dem reelection, cancel the entire dept, the energy dept,80 billion salary + outside contractors,one stinking job, the reason they became, get the US off foreign oil, hasnt been done, how mant different depts like DEP, EPA, Wildlife how many more, all do the same, 50 years,noting has been done Remember, the next election, ALL
    INCUMBENTS MUST GO!
    Do you know how much obamas group has really put us in hock, you dont, your probably too lazy to be bothered, 6 months ago we owed the fed 40K, now, each and every person owes 167 K effective last week, look it up and YOU dont dare and tell me give you where I got the facts. Did you know he recently gave away another 2 trillion to the world, Europe, a promise or a draft he gave.
    His wife,just hired a professional shopper for herself,6 figures as fatty there cant go shopping for herself. If your ready to submit, leave, leave my country, you have no right to be here, your not an American, your a hyphen-american along with the rest get out. Lee

8. shelly

shelly TS Member

Slic, if you want anybody to read what you say, use PARAGRAPHS.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

They will cave rather fast. Hope I'm wrong.

Look at Indiana - old Mitch has already told the house and senate to forget about passing - "Right to Work". Thanks Mitch - Republicans got control of the house, senate, and governship in the state and he says the time isn't right???? WTF?? If the time isn't right now, when????

So nationally, with the Repubs only controlling the house, how long do we expect them to stand.

In my dream world we should shut the government down for at least a month or two, then see if anybody really noticed that it had been shut down.

10. DJM

DJM Member

This is a political mine field for the Republicans. It is the issue that sunk the 1994 "Republican Revolution". That year they ran on the Contract with America and made big gains in the Congress. They promised among other things to cut spending, then passed a budget that did not cut spending, but did reduce the rate of spending growth. Mr. Clinton vetoes and a government shutdown ensues. Because of a liberal press bias and skillfull politicking by Clinton the Republicans took the blame for the shutdown. I never understood why the veto was not perceived as the reason for the shutdown.

IMO they did not recover from that blow for many years and Clinton went on to easily win a second term. Hopefully it's a differnt political climate this time and the electorate actually is serious about spending cuts.

I am hopefull we can limit Mr. Obama to one term. That is an uphill battle. First we need a candidate. One that can get out the base and appeal to the "mushy middle" of the electorate that may not vote on issues alone. In this day the candidate must have some of that "Rock Star" appeal.

Secondly we must stand for an alternative, offer the voters a clear choice. No more "Democrat Lite". Getting serious about cutting govt. spending is a good place to start.

11. shelly

shelly TS Member

I disagree that the Clinton government "shutdown", which didn't really shut down the government, brought down the Repubicans. What brought them down was not keeping their word and becomming big spenders like the Democrats they replaced. Who needs Republicans to throw away money when the Democraps are even better at it. Jimmy Carter had a government "shutdown" every year of his presidency and it never hurt anybody. Ronald Reagan had a few too.

The Republicans have been given a second chance- they shouldn't blow it.

BTW, the reason Clinton won a second term is that he took a hard turn to the right and gave up governing as a liberal. The fact that the Dems lost both the House and Senate helped too. Essentially, the Republicans were responsible for Clinton's second term victory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.