1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long to get used to a new release?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tom monzitta, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom monzitta

tom monzitta Member

Finally got my Beretta back from Spears with a new release trigger. I took it out on Saturday, I've never shot a release before, and shot 22's, 23's, 24's. All pretty good hits, but it seems a lot faster than the pull trigger. How long did it take you to get fully accustomed to your new release? Anything to suggest to help the process?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Tom: It takes no time at all. Just set the trigger and release it when you feel the time is right. My first round of trap gave me a 25. I will admit it was a practice round and the 2nd shot I forgot to "set" the trigger and took that shot over. A release made shooting fun again. Good Luck. Ed

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would practice in the privacy of my home with a snap cap. Practice especially the routine for un-setting the release as if you got a broken target. My release trigger is slow enough that it is not scary to use, it sure makes shooting a lot smoother.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It sounds like you are already in pretty good shape. I set mine just before I call for the target. It's like turning on the "shoot switch" and clears my mind of other thoughts.

You may find that you will be more comfortable holding the trigger a little tighter. It gives me a better cheek to gun feel and slows down the release until I have swung to the target. If I don't hold mine tight, I sometimes will shoot just behind as my swing hasn't caught up to the bird.

I got mine from Spears on a Thursday, shot a 24 and a 25 in practice and then a 97 in an ATA shoot that Saturday.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

you know you learned how to use a release trigger when you stop shooting the trap house. lol

6. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

yea i shot the house the dirt the air, but after the first 3 shots i had it down

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Practice, practice and more practice. Most don't shoot the ground, traphouse or air. You will determine how fast you adapt. Good luck and enjoy.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.