1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Till I can shoot again?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Well I just got out of the hospital, 12 years ag I had a total replacement and the glenoid loosened (socket) so that was redone and a larger humurs head installed. 4 hrs of surgery and now the pain and thearpy begins. Twelve years ago when I had the first replacement at age 45 had the surgery on the 15th of Apirl and was shooting trap wih a 20ga by July 1st. Guessing it will take longer this time so what do you guys think?

2. Bruce Specht

Sorry guys I left out the fact tha is was a total shoulder replacement Left I'm right hnaded

3. DocJim

DocJim Member

I think you are asking the wrong people. Put the question to your orthopedist and then follow his recommendations EXACTLY! He may not be familiar with shooting so make sure you explain to him about the motions, weight of the gun, and recoil involved etc. Please don't try it early, you have too much invested to risk aggravating something or spoiling an otherwise good result....................Jim

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Good news, you can start shooting tomorrow. Have fun.

Remember the rule- no pain, no gain. Dr. Stud

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If your a right handed shooter, with a new left shoulder? I would think you maybe back quicker than you think, ask your DOC and your recover team?

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Next week at the latest.
    Just stay away from the Nitro 27's for a few days............

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bruce.......Heres hoping you can shoot again soon, but don't rush it! Theres many things more important than shooting and your shoulder is one of them. Take it easy and the best to you. Merry Christmas!

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Your body will let you know. Shooting a BB gun in your yard would be good physical therapy.

Pat Ireland

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you get tired of shooting the BB gun you can try a 410 skeet gun from low seven. HMB

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Put a 28 ga. Briley Companion tube in a BT99 and shoot 3/4 oz of 8s. Very little recoil and a lot of fun to boot.

Of course, you could also develop a 3/4 oz load for the 12 ga. and load it to around 1100 fps. That is even less recoil.

11. Larry Lark

Larry Lark TS Member

I had a shoulder replacement in May. My Dr. told me not to shoot for 9 months.

12. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Bruce,

Had total left shoulder replacement on 6th June 07 and Doc has given me the all clear two weeks ago (6 month recovery with Physio 3 times per day).

I am same as you right hand shooter, have been shouldering the gun a couple hundred times each weekend for the last three months to build up strength (Doc was fine with me doing that).

I am 57 years young and it is has been very successful and as far as the pain is concerned it was a walk in the park as compared to the four knee replacements that I have had (no I'am not a centerpede).

Arthritis is a pain to us shooters but with the right advice/surgery no reason we cannot enjoy our sport for years to come.

Have to have right shoulder after 08 Grand, will be a bit longer recovery with that one.

All the best and good luck, do the physio and should get good results.

Release Trigger.

13. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Get yourself a Rem.1100 My little girl shoots that with no problem....Nuc

14. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I had 2 shoulder repaires(4weeks later shooting again) Had 4way by-pass 6weeks later shooting) Its all how fast you want to recover Be active be agressive in rehab the more you rehab the better off you'll be in the long run.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just got a new hip replacement done in October. It worked wonderfully but it woke up other back pains.

16. Bruce Specht

Thanks for the responses and get well wishes. This was my fifth surgrey on the same shoulder, and the second replacement of components. The Doc says that I'm 3 months or so from shooting and 5 from golf. After the last replacement 12 years ago I shoot a .410 for 3 months, 3 months after the surgery then just kept moving up in gauge. Got pretty good with the .410 from the 16 was consistently breaking 18's I'll be 57 in a few months and am really getting tired of shoulder surgery! I guess I have no reason to complain; if this is the worst problem I have; many other suffer far worse, Happy and Healty Holidays to All I look forward to reading your post for the education and the laughs

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Listen to the doctor. Period

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.