1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long till HD is standard

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

Do you remember when colored tv's came out? You had to be one of those rich people to have one. Well now is the HD era. How long till HD is standard everyday living?...Remember when vcr's were the cats meow?...Ziggy

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Color? I remember watching a test picture in black and white for 5 months before they turned on the tv station in the early 50's. While laying on the floor in the dark watchint the test pattern, we listened to the Shadow on the radio. ( we were not out doing drugs anyway)

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

My dad would put a colored plastic sheet on the tube.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Canada does not make a digital converter box necessary yet. Am I correct that if you have satellite TV you don't need the digital box ??

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

We all including the entire neighborhood went to my Uncles house in the 60's to watch the moon landing. He was the first one on the block to own a color TV, Much to our dismay it was televised in black + white only!

6. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Miketmx:

If you have satellite you already have a converter. It's the folks that are getting airwave transmission directly to their TV via an outside antenna or just the airwaves.

ABD

7. chessney

chessney TS Member

Shannon thats funny but same holds true with HD. The whole family goes to my sisters house to watch the Super Bowl in HD. It's funny to see everyone fight to get the best seat in front of the tv.Naturaly Pap get all loaded and mom gets nuts on him and Uncle Pat gets...well you get the picture.......Ziggy

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

HD becomes the standard next Feb.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think its either Feb 17, or 19th of 2009 that it goes into effect ... I have satelite (Dish Network) so I think I am ok ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Jammin

Jammin TS Member

Guy's I believe it changes to digital from anolog, HD will still an option for carries.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If your cable plugs directly into your TV (older sets) and not a cable box, you may need a converter or a new TV.

12. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

HD isn't scheduled to become standard ever.

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Digital broadcast transmission becomes the standard on Feb 17, 2009. Digital does not mean automatic HD, you must subscribe to HD service from your cable or Sat company.

The converter box is required if you're using rabbit ears or the old roof top antenna to feed your current analog tv.

If you've got a newer set with a digital tuner and you're using rabbit ears or roof top antenna you'll be fine.

Eric

14. dward

dward Member

HD is basically a high end version of digital. Digital as stated is all that will be broadcast beginning in Feb 09. HD will never be mandatory but I'm guessing within 5 years just about all network broadcasts will be offered in HD. An HD set is required to see HD. HD can be received with 1)an antenna on your house (an HD/UHF antenna is best, but most times the old antennas works), 2)Cable or 3)Satellite. To receive the antenna signal you need an OTA tuner which now days is built into many of the new sets, so you can plug the coax right into the TV. The Cable and Satellite requires a box the companies supply.

Here's a story, two years ago I bought a 50 inch plasma to watch the masters in HD and had the cable company come out to hook the Cable Box/HD up. Well to my disppointment they hadn't negotiated a deal with CBS yet and I ended up using an antenna on top of the house to get CBS HD. You'd be surprised how many HD signals you can get using your antenna.

Big Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long till ultra hd is standard