1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long is the shot string?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was talking to some shooters yesterday and one of them said that he had read an article recently that said the average shot string trapshooting was 15 ft long. I didn't argue as I don't pretend to know for sure but thought 15 inches is more realistic. What is it? Thanks Jackie B.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

From recent photo footage it is appearing to be in the 7 ft realm by my viewing. Old standards stated 12 ft. There are variables and no absolutes dependant upon choking methods.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh gawd...not this again...

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You have to be more specific. First to last pellet? 80% them? If it's the latter, maybe 6 or 8 feet is a reasonable estimate for trap loads.

Remember:

1. The shorter the better

2. You can't change them.

3. Which is lucky, because they have no effect in trap anyway.

Neil

5. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

Phil Kiner had some interesting experiments shown on his blog. His experiments showed it was more like 15 inches. Neil Winston most likely has conducted experiments but if he hasn't he certainly will sooner or later.

Tony Fortino

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The string length extends as the cloud gets farther from the muzzle, as the deformed pellets lose velocity more quickly than the more perfect pellets. There are a lot of variables involved but it's clear that, if we're talking about the string length out at the distance where it impacts the birds, and we disregard the 1 or 2% of the pellets which might be severely deformed/slow, the correct answer is between the two extremes you mentioned. When informed techincal people talk about 15 foot string lengths, I think they are including 100% of the pellets, from heavy loads, at great distances. While this extreme length is possible, it is misleading and atypical. Also keep in mind that string length becomes more important in trap when hard angles are involved, or when you don't get on the target quickly like you should. In my opinion, string length matters, but it's way down the list of things to worry about for all but the highest level shooters.

-Gary

7. Neil Winston

If you go through the calculations Ed outlines, it will be clear that shot string does not matter at all in trap.

The idea of a "tube" of candidate pellets is critical, and I just noticed that John Brindle had about the same idea.

Neil

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Neil, do you think the article supports your conclusion that shot string does not matter AT ALL in trap? Isn't that an overstatement?

Respectfully,
    Gary

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

All of this has been talked about over the years but add one more equation. We shoot scrap a lot at our club and I used to load 700X and shot about the same average as the rest of the guys but switched to Green dot using 21 grains of powder. This is the only thing I changed, same wad, hull and weight of shot. My shooting improved tremendously especially when shooting the long bird wobble trap. I noticed it right off but several other shooters noticed. Same gun etc. This made me wonder about the shot steam or is it just that it's a hotter load. Jackie B.

10. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Other than bore diameter, how do you make a shot string longer at 30 -40 yds? Choke???

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

FWIW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQj8cCjMYxE

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Shooting Times, has a good article written by Scott Mayer called Shot String Silliness. Click the above link. Wayne

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can make your shot string longer at 30 - 40 yards by using a mixed load of 7 1/2s, 8s and 9s in your reloads. The 7 1/2s will wind up leading the pack followed by the 8s and then the 9s.

Remember:

1. Longer is better

2. You can fine tune the shot string

3. Which is lucky, because it has a big effect on trap shooting. HMB

14. Neil Winston

Don't pay any attention to Howard; once again he's gotten into the New Year's cheer a little early.

Neil

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

LOL! I would think that the 7.5 shot would migrate together towards the bottom of the shot bottle during a round of reloading??? If you could come up with a way to pour the 9's first - then pour the 8's then pour the 7.5's on top - maybe this load could be concocted??? Sounds crazy. Time to go over to the neighbors house for black tie new years - again...

16. Neil Winston

Oh great, Marlon. Many of us are just beginning to master the skills of lining up the pellets in the MEC bottles as Trap2 tells us is so important

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

... and now we are supposed to do it with three different shot sizes? Just how much time do you think is reasonable to save about three bucks a weekend?

Neil

17. doniphandad

doniphandad TS Member

What would happen to the shot string if the pellets were dimpled like a golf ball? It makes a big difference on golf balls, and even cars according to mythbusters. Just a thought, maybe not a good one though.
    Happy New Year,
    Bob

18. Neil Winston

The reason I call it insignificant, Gary is that all it can do is hurt pattern density. Doing the math

For 80 percent of the string and 80 inch shotsting

Target velocity = 20 ft/sec

Shot velocity 700 fps

Shotstring factor = (80x20)/700 = 2.3

And looking at Table B we find a predicted drop in effective pattern density of 0.7 percent. That's three pellets. And since patterns commonly vary by several times that, one to the next, it is not an overstatement to say that shotstrings do not matter at all.

Neil

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.