Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How long has it been since Hercules made Red Dot.

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Ljutic111 
#1 ·
In a deal on some reloading componets I was given 2 cardboard cylinders full of old style AA's. The label said Red Dot and was manufactured by Hercules. It threw me a bit when I read that. How long has it been since Red Dot was labeled that way?

ss

#4 ·
From what information is out there, Alliant Technosystems did not aquire Hercules inc. They bought the powder business and names. Hercules was aquired by Ashland inc. on Nov.13th.2008 for $3.3B Hercules was started by Dupont in 1912 because of antitrust actions brought on against Dupont by the feds.

#7 ·
I find this fascinating there are all types of years and claim floating around in the thread. Especially the years and claims that Dupont started the company.

The Hercules Powder Company was established in in the later half of the 1800 and Dupont never acquired the Hercules Powder company per say. What they acquired was the California Powder company and when the town was Incorporated it was renamed Hercules California. The story is all available at the above web site.

Check it out It is fascinating I wish more fact were available.

Bob Lawless

#8 ·
A fairly accurate account of the company's history can be found by looking up "Hercules Incorporated-Company History" on Google. At least it is close to what I learned working for the company for most of my life. The Hercules Powder Company was incorporated in 1912 as a result of antitrust actions against DuPont. Close ties remained between the companies for many years due to both being located in Wilmington. The name was changed to Hercules Incorporated in the 1960's. DuPont got out of the powder business after the Carney's Point plant burned and IMR began producing their formulations. Hercules sold the powder business to Alliant in 1995 and the remainder of the company to Ashland in 2008.

#9 ·
Reloading Powders, Consumer Products
Brian McCardle
P.O. Box 4607, El Monte, CA, 91734
Phone: (626) 444-9271
Fax: (626) 575-2848

If you want to know the history of the reloading business and Hercules, talk to Brian who represents W.A. Murphy Co., West coast distributors.

#10 ·
Dupont and Hercules had there plants very close to one an other in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ. for many years until a few explosions happened at the Hercules plant which I believe prompted them into closing that plant. Dupont is still in operation but closed more than half of their production and operations in the photo industry . Other than that- I know nothing !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.