1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long from tap to trigger?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Since having a drink of some alcoholic beverage is grounds for being ruled out of a shoot off or such, I was just wondering if there is any time period from the time you "tap a keg" to the time you pull the trigger.

For instance, if you have a beer with an early lunch (say 11:00 A.M.) because that cold beer tastes so good after coming of a 106 dg. trap field, and you do not have another drink the entire rest of the day, but then you qualify for a shoot off at 8:00 P.M., is the one bottle you had nine hours earlier grounds for disqualification? I know there are "bottle to throttle" time limits for pilots but what about shooters? As I recall, a single drink's worth of alcohol is "burned" off a body in two or so hours (depending on weight, gender and race) it would seem that you BAL would be about 0.00% nine hours later. Is there a hard fixed rime limit imposed anywhere?

2. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Pyrdek, You have a good question.

If you are a pilot it is 8 hours bottle to throttle.

I guess the real question is..if you are a maybe for a shoot off why would you want a beer? Do you need the beer? Just have water or iced tea and then you do not have to worry about it. I have withdrawn from events in the past after seeing a squad mate have a drink. However, I will never withdraw again, I just call the management's attention to the drinker and they are done and I keep shooting.

What if the freek acident did occur and it is pointed out that you had a drink earlier in the day...are you willing to lose everything for a beer? Water beats beer in the heat so drink water. If you need the beer get help.

CA

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

A beer at 11 o'clock in the AM??? Okay,,,,but did you shoot the afternoon handicap???? If so,,,you shouldn't have made it to any shoot-offs,,because yoou should have been dis-qualified hrs earlier....a single beer burned off in one hour??? Okay,,, But,,,a single mistake,,a moment of carelessness lasts a lifetime!!!! Mostly,,,,this is completly ignored at the smaller clubs,,,and many times the large ones as well.....

Dosen't happen you say???? I have seen too many instances of the traphouse being shot,,the gravel in front of the shooter exploding upon a squads legs,,or control boxes and wires for the voice release shot in two or otherwise being destroyed by 100% "sober people"....

AKA Grammie.........

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Let's see now - if the pilot has 20 - 100 proof shots and his body removes alcohol at the rate of 1.5 ozs per hour or 12 ozs in 8 hours is he still drunk when hitting the throttle? Odds are he is.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I don't see how 1 beer can effect a healthy adult 9 hours later. I don't drink when I shoot but would not hesitate to shoot with anyone who had 1 beer 9 hours ago. Would I disqualify him? No. It would depend on (posted) club rules.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Otter

Otter TS Member

When I used to fly, it was 12 hours bottle to throttle and I never cheated . . . much . . . except that one time . . . .

Luxor

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it....as long as you don't have a problem with explaining to my family why you "accidently" shot me. You also need to not have a problem with the subsequent lawsuit for disfigurment/death. I assume it would be north of $10MM. Nope don't have a problem, do you?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rule XII B 2a indicates that if one drinks a single can of beer during an event or between any events (including a shoot off)held on the same day, it is a rules violation that requires disqualification.

I am not stating the rule is good/bad, fair or unfair. It is simply the rule.

Pat Ireland

9. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Based on a lot of these kinds of threads in the past, most of people are unable to give up their precious alcohol for any reason, sensible or otherwise. I'd say if you can't go a day without your booze to help you skate through the day, then maybe you should just focus on the drinking and sell the guns.
    A wonderful beer after dehydrating on the field at 106 degrees? I'm pretty sure anyone with an ounce of sense would say the diuretic properties of the alcohol after exposure to that kind of weather would be a less than sensible idea.
    I have no problem with anyone drinking but I grow weary of the fools that will fight to the end to make sure they have the booze and the guns near each other and then blow smoke about how they "never" would drink then shoot. Right. If you have that much control then why can't you wait till you get home or to your hotel room?

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Drinking in hotel rooms is for helpless alcoholics.

I never heard such drivel.

If it's the rule, then fine. But one beer after 9 hours? Get a life.

Freakin hardshell Baptist busybodies.

HM

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Everybody will be just fine as long as something doesn't occur that lands you in court.

12. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

It's been 276 days and 14 hours since I've read a thread so moronic.

LL

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When I shoot, nothing but water and gatorade for me thanks. Alcohol and guns certainly don't mix well at the same time. I hafta ask some of you that shot in prior years, where in the hell were you when almost everyone was cheating by not following the 3 hole rule? That too was a "rule", wasn't it? I agree with Halfmile! Hap

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Lets see, it was very hot at the GA - could we be talking about a recent event?? Are you the beer police or just a behind the scenes snitch?? We all know it doesn't matter so why bring it up??

15. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Whoa bob, he didn't say drink and shoot, he said nine hours in between. You say 24 hours, then blaze away, Big Deal. No State sez you can't drink and drive, that would be un-American. Blood alcohol less than .02 in most cases, many of us have developed a sixth sence about that 02 thing. Oxygen.

Anyway, for all of the rule afficianados. Take a look at Section IV. G. "Contestants shall (must) shoot in squads of five, except...." nothing about short squads for pre-squad no-shows. This rule is NEVER inforced.

So why get a hard-on about the alcohol rule. You're an adult, if you want a beer, have a beer. If you want to shoot on a short squad, shoot on a short squad. Remember Mateys, they're not really rules at all...more like guidelines.

Arrrgh, LL

16. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Gee, Timber, I guess with your finely honed 6th sense which I am sure gets ever sharper when you drink, you have it all figured out. I guess shooting a short squad has just exactly the same effect and danger as some instinctive drinker like you going out to shoot. If you shoot on a short squad, it's probably more dangerous than if someone sniffs down a couple of quick beers before hitting the trap field. They could get all giddy with the quick shooting and blast the voice release in their excitement.
    You should run for ATA prez and then you could do away with all them confounding rules and just let everyone run by their 6th or 7th sense.

17. halfmile

"thin skins and no spine". Muahahaha....nice. When you remove the hook, be sure and clean the wound with alcohol.

And, Shooters, remember, No Cherries Jubilee until shooting is done!

HM

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Little Limber- In the rule you cited above with the claim it is never enforced (IV G sic 1) you forgot to include sections a,b and c. It seems to me that the rule is followed. In fact, about the only way to violate the rule would be to put 6 shooters on one squad. At one time, in non registered events, 6 shooters on one squad was not unusual.

The no alcohol rule before or between events on the same day may be extreme but simply because it is a rule, it should be followed. And, I know it is not followed by many but it will be followed by me. I am most interested in making sure I follow the rules, what others do interests me less.

Pat Ireland

19. halfmile

3 hole target rule...............(yes, it was once) oh, well.

HM

20. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Little lumber is just like every other democrat/liberal. When you call her out on something they said, a finger gets waved at the one that made the point. I didn't expect any sort of an intelligent response and by golly that's what we got. You cried about the rules not being rules, not me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.