1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long does a wad stay with the shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stilltrying, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

How long or how far down range does the wad actually influence the shot pattern? Are windjammers good for long handicap behind 1 1/8 #7.5? Windjammers vaporize the rocks are close range.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A rough guess is that the wad is useless beyond 20 feet from the barrel.

Eric

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The link has still photos of shot and wad. Never seen a Windjammer break a bird....... Just joking. Wayne

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There were some pictures posted here a while back thet showed the wad seperating from the shot a few inches from the muzzel of the gun.

5. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

stilltrying,,,I use windjammer wads on 16's and handicap, 27 yd. After I first tried them for long yardage shooting and found that they smoked targets from back there, I haven't used anything else. My wad inventory has only windjammers and 1 oz for first shot of doubles....

Hope this helps,,,43 years shooting experience...

Shoot well in 2010...

Grizzly Adams

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's one photo. I believe it was done by a poster called welderman. Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=of50590370.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

So much for the B.S.about the wad disturbing the shot charge !!

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I see them land behind the trap house all the time.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The wad will make a difference . I also see SOME on and behind the trap house but most land out front of the house . I also see wads at the target being broke as in singles and have seen wads hit targets .

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Here is a composite shot of things coming unraveled. I am assuming that the photos were taken with a single stationary camera but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the spacing:

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Lister

11. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

I was shooting at a sporting clay range two weeks ago, (my first time for sporting clays) and at the number three stand, second shot, I saw the wadding hit the target and change it's direction, but I didn't break the target.

Where in the hell was the shot?

In front of the target, I guess?

Shoot to soon?

Leading the target too much?

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd love for Neil to show a 12SO and a CB4100 24 gram.. 1350 fps at 55 yards with a .035 choke.. and then see if wads do not matter..

13. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

I have used the windjammer wad @ the 27 and it works very well out of my MX8 single choked 34.

Aaron Holguin

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I shot Fed 12S3 wads for four years at 1200 fps most went 25-30 yards

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Carol Lister, the photo you posted above was taken be (Welderman) that posts here once in a while.

Each sequence was taken at different times for five different photographs, each being a little farther from the muzzle.

Wayneo, thanks for posting that link! That's the first time I've seen how steel shot reacts in a full choked gun. Looks like it does string out faster than lead? Hap

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The wad and shot should separate right out of the muzzle. How far the wad will travel after that will depend on the wad. Regardless, the shot should be out ahead of the wad.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

The wad is very important while it is in the barrel. After it leaves the barrel, it has done its job.

Pat Ireland

18. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Herb. Remington had the first shell with a wad like today. "power piston". Remington also had the first pictures of the shot and wad leaving the barrel. The pictures showed the petals folding back just a few inches from the choke. Brother Ireland has the call. Once out of the bore, the wad has done its thing. how far te wad flies has to do with wad weight for thje most part. Stroker

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The wad falls back immediately upon leaving the barrel. That is why I don't understand how the wad can have any real effect on the pattern.

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

PBB, I can't pattern that far back and it's way farther than I hope to be shooting my birds, anyway, so I'll never get to try your challenge.

However, when ZZT predicted a big difference, I did test Federal 12S0 wads against WW Grey ones but the promised difference never showed up.

Either at slow speed:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Or higher:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

As a results of multiple failures-to-find-anything-interesting like this, I'll not be doing much more with wads, except, perhaps, some with likely differences, say Windjammers or Versalites.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.