1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you wait?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmueller, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmueller

rmueller Member

Just got done with the second cataract surgery, first eye was done two weeks ago. I'm not sure the Dr. really understood me when I asked 'When can I go shooting again?'...her reply was go ahead, with modern cataract surgery there are no restrictions...

I was planning on waiting at least 3-4 weeks (just about the time the meds stop).

Just out of curiosity, what advice have others who had this procedure been given?

I'm chomping at the bit to shoot a round...with the new hardware I can see a bird crystal clear at 60yrds. Before, all I could see was an orange streak, best I could do was point and shoot at whatever was moving.

ron.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, mine will be done in October. I am looking forward to seeing great once again.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I shot end of the week. You'll be doing eye drops so a week makes sense...

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'd call the Dr. back and make sure she understood what you are wanting to do. It would be a shame to take a chance on destroying what was done just so you could shoot a week early.

5. BigM-Perazzi

And how possibly will you destroy whats done????!

Hell, find an eye surgeon like Sensoli in michigan who treats shooters. Get a real projection...

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Had both eyes done this summer,my Dr said wait two weeks for heavy lifilting and no pool for a month. As for shooting she said, go when your ready it won't cause any problem I wiated one week after each eye. WOrked out fine for me to wait that long.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had my second surgery on my right eye 1 week before the 2005 Grand. I am left handed, I shoot all 1000 targets, no problem.

8. TANGO ECHO

TANGO ECHO TS Member

Hadright eye done 3 weeks ago. Good job no problems, am seeing better than I have for several years. Dr said wait 30 days to shoot, said he wanted the pocket where the lens is inserted to heal. Did not want to chance the lens slipping from where he placed it.I would like to shoot sooner but not willing to take even a slight chance of messing up a good job. Sight is much to important to take even a slight chance. Only 1 more week to go!

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'd wait at least the 3wks if it were me...its worth the wait to keep the fix permanant..hate to see you go through all that to end up undoing the great results it sounds like you ended up with

10. JRW

JRW Member

Had mine done last Oct. Doc asked if I was shooting handguns. when I told him shotgun, he asked me to wait 4 weeks after 2nd eye was done. That made it 6 week for me. Jerry in MI.

11. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

I waited 4 weeks, Doctor said I could shoot after two weeks. Better safe than sorry. What a difference it is worth the wait.

Ron

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think with that type of surgery I'd wait 30 days even if the Dr. said go ahead.
    It's just not worth the risk of more damage.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Gee, what could go wrong? Since it takes about any serious wound to the human body 4 to 6 weeks to completely heal........go on out and shoot right a way where you may get a hot piece of crud blown in you eye.

I'm like you. I don't think your doc's thinking of all the possibilities. Good luck and be careful out there.

14. BigM-Perazzi

Barry, in 6 months a hot piece of crud in your eye will do less damage????

15. rmueller

rmueller Member

I'm convinced 4-6 week wait is worth it. It's awesome to be able to see this good. I'll see the doc next week, then another 3 weeks of drops. Just to be on the safe side ill go a week after that. I was out for 9 weeks last year about this time after the retina reattachment and vitrectomy (that was a picnic) it really did not effect my shooting that much. The unfortunate part of that surgery is the advanced development of cataracts. So, all in I've had a whole year to get mentally prepared to put the shot gun down for as long as necessary. It still hasn't stopped me from playing with my DrozdMax (fully automatic CO2 BB gun) shooting clays hanging from a string...no recoil.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.