1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you bake Federal Paper Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just put a 100 Federal Papers Hulls in the oven at 250 degreses for about 15 minutes and let the oven cool with them, am now going to reload them w/longshot
    1 1/8th oz #6s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

That's about right. I used to get a board with 100 nails through it and place the federal papers on them. I would pre heat the oven at 300 degrees and place them in for 15 minutes. Let them totally cool so the wax sets and you can reload the shells to get a good crimp and it will look like a factory new shell. I am sure some of the newer shooters never heard of this method but as you know it works. I once had 8 boxes of federal paper reloads in my bob Allen shoulder bag and while I was shooting it rained. The next week I could not even get most of the shells into the chamber of my gun as they swelled up. If I could find federal paper new shells in my area that's all I would shoot. In my opinion best shell ever made.
    Steve Balistreri

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used a hot finger gadget. You could have one shell heating while you reloaded another. Mine had 2 fingers on it, and would keep up with a progressive press.

I sold it to a TS.com brother.

If 12C1 wads were around I would still shot the papers.

HM

4. loop02

loop02 Member

You don't want to get them over 300, 350 at most. you burn the wax, If you want some real god looking reloads, rewax the case mouths before you reload them. Put parafin and beeswax in a cookie sheet approx. 1,2 " deep. Make a metal basket that fits in the cookie sheet. Put the cases in mouth down, and put the whole works in an oven at 300 or so for about 10 min. Pull the basket and let the excess drain back into the pan.I have two baskets, load one cook one. You can load a paper 3-4 times doing this

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I always heard that you CHOSE: 350º & 10min, OR 200º for 30min.

My paper irons have long since walked off ... {sigh} ... but leaving the hulls in a trash bag in your car-trunk for a couple of days in July or August re-waxes them perfectly.

Bob

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

Unless they've soaked up a lot of humidity and won't run thru the press or chamber in the gun, you don't unless you're just looking for a single reload.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

FlaLagato ... if LS doesn't want it, I do.

Bob

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I do not think that the current Federal paper hulls are as strong as the hulls from the 1970's and 1980's. To me, the paper was a little thicker on the older hulls.

I keep my remaining Federal Hulls in an open White Flyer target boxes in the top of my garage. During the summer, it gets well over 100 degrees F up there and the heat condition the hulls. I have a few thousand or so and they have been up there for a couple of years. I take some down and reload a few flats every once and a while but mostly I reload the Federal Gold Medal plastics including older ribbed hulls and the newer smooth hulls.

As to the Federal 12C1 wad, this was a great wad. I have less than 500 left which I am saving for some "games" loads if I ever shoot "games" again. IMO, the Claybuster 12C1 clone does a great job. It would be hard to tell the difference for any shot from concrete.

For long range "killer" loads in a Federal Paper hull, I really like 1 1/8 oz. of copper plated 5's, a 12C1 wad, 18.5 grains of 700X and a Federal 209A primer. I can shoot this load well and it stays together out to where the targets hit the ground from 35 yards behind the house. I still have a 4# jug of 700X I keep for this load. For everything else, I use an Alliant powder.

I try and get at least 2 reloads from each Federal Paper hull. I don't mind pulling separated hulls from the chamber of my 870.

For any hull from any manufacturer, I make sure that I remove an entire hull from the chamber for each shot.

Looking back at my last 10,000 rounds or so I have shot, I have had one Nitro 27 hull break off at the base and the entire hull, wad and shot fly downrange (a zinger). This hull was old and had been reloaded many times including some hot games loads. I remember this hull as it was in my "rejects" bucket that I use for practice.

I have also had one Federal ribbed hull that has been reloaded many times separate and lodge in the barrel. This was just a few weeks ago.

Finally, I had one Federal Paper hull separate and lodge in the barrel. This paper hull was shot in the rain several years ago at the Kentucky State shoot.

Ed Ward

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot Federal Papers 4-6 times without heating them?? Some last longer than others but that is an average

10. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Does Gordon Ramsay have a recipe? Also, what goes better with Federals, Merlot or Chardonnay? Oh, and don't forget to soak your hands in Palmolive when you're done, cooking shotshells can be tough on a guy's hands.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I got my Federal paper hulls at Sparta. They come pre-baked. Clyde

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jerry ... yep, I knew that ... being perlite and waiting my turn 'n'all, though.

Bob

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good one Clyde,

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jim:

It takes me longer to reload paper as compared to plastic hulls. That said, I used to reload a lot of paper hulls in years past because I used them in games and I could shoot them well. Now, I shoot mostly ATA and practice and reload plastic hulls.

If you are or were once a devout user of paper hulls, IMO they are a joy to reload and shoot.

With once fired paper hulls, you can reload them IMO almost as fast as plastic hulls. However, once a paper hull has been reloaded, I take the time to inspect each hull for pin holes near the base caused by powder burn through. I also inspect the case mouth as the newer paper hulls sometimes blow off a portion of the crimp and must be tossed.

A paper hull has a little more room in it than many plastic tapered hulls and generally produces less pressure than a tapered hull. This is very important for heavier loads. Also, there is a significant of published reloading data for paper hulls, especially for heavier loads.

A lot of games shooters rely on paper hulls for their "back pocket" loads.

Ed Ward

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Till they ere "Al Dente"! Ha-Ha! Had to say it. Sorry.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Until a tootpick stuck in the side of one comes out clean! Could not resist. We most always 'baked' our loaded ones for a few minutes to dry them when we came in for lunch when we had been hunting in wet weather. Yes it is a little bit of knowledge thing to put loaded ones in the oven. Actually we put them on a cookie sheet and left the door open because we would be drying our socks and gloves at the same time. late 1950's

17. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

When you put the hulls in the oven to rewax, do you set them base down, laying flat, or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.