1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do game birds stay fresh in Fridge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Have some now, marinated 3 days. Had some for lunch. wow

Given that poultry from the store is ??? how old before we get it.

With feather draw etc, how long will game keep?

thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have had pheasant two years after freezing but being vacuum sealed makes a big difference

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My personnal response is that I don't like to leave them in the fridge over five days before transferring to freezer. But that has to do more with if asked by someone that Iam feeding it to. Now for nostalgic purposes, fowl use to be hung by the legs till weight of body pulled away and thus legs still hanging. It was then considered seasoned and ready for preperation for the table. In my experiments this took 5 to 7 days depending on type. Yes I did eat them afterwards and no I obviously didn't die. But I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying it as they may not be as lucky as I was to survive....

Thus I would say for several days in answer to your question and would just judge it by smell.

4. pdq

pdq Member

I've kept them in the fridge for years at a time. It's just a matter of keeping a good supply of grain and fresh water for them, and change the newspaper every other day.

Pete

5. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Good question and I'll add my input with no jokes. You asked about "in the fridge" and not frozen if i'm not mistaken. I've upland hunted all my life and enjoy the game. Part of the answer you are seeking is related to care of the birds in the field coupled with ambient temperature. Doves hit my bucket on ice within 15 minutes in the fall.

Quail, Pheasant, Duck and Goose are more forgiving in Central Ky. due to temps they are normally harvested in. That being established, if you dress your birds the same day and go to a saltwater bath, I'm fine with up to 7 days before cooking or freezing.

Hope this helps.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OELH, thank you.

Yes I meant fresh not frozen.

For "doves" I breast them out only so does that extend the shelf life?

Marinating in water for 3 days takes all the blood taste out. I recall the first, and last, time I didnt do that. They stink when you cook them.

They are usually still warm when I breast them and its usually with in an hour of the shot.

My concern was feather draw contaminating all the meat in the wash.

I try to slice the pellet channel and wash that out first.

How much salt? I had them in fresh water and sometimes a bit of soy sauce.

regards

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Try a table spoon of Armor Hammer baking soda in place of salt, it takes the blood and any oder out of birds. I like to get all birds on ice ASAP. THANKS Ronnie

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

We hang ours for a fortnight.

9. sandyman

sandyman TS Member

PDQ, you owe me a moniter!

10. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

If you leave a quail in your vest in the back of the car. It will go to stinking after about a week.

BK

11. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I also breast out my doves but I treat most any breasted or whole birds the same as far as salt water bath. Large enough container to cover game completely and about two tablespoons per gallon for first overnight soaking. Change water and rinse well the next day.

I actually reclean my doves, quail,pheasant, whatever that next day and lighten up by half or so on salt. This gets rid of the extra feathers and anything I missed the first time. After that if I'm gonna keep them in the fridge before cooking or freezing, I'll change the water every other day if not more.

The soy should be fine if that's your preference. Might add some darkening but it's mostly salt so you accomplish the same thing.

Congrat's on your quick field prep.-that's where the flavor lies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how long can dove stay in the fridge
how long can pheasant keep in the fridge

how long can you keep fresh pheasant in the fridge

how long can you keep pheasant in the fridge

how long does pheasant last in the fridge

how long is pheasant good in the fridge

how long will dove keep in the refrigerator

how long will pheasant last in the fridge