1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long can you store clays powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jliveng1, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jliveng1

jliveng1 TS Member

How long can you store Clays powder before it goes bad? I've been storing an 8 lb container in my Phoenix garage since 2005. The seal on the container was removed but it's been stored with the lid tightly closed. Is there a way to tell if the powder is bad before loading up a bunch of shells?

What about primers, do they have a shelf life?

Thanks Jason

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I would think the dry climate in Phoenix would be very good for the shelf life of reloading components.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly it states to store in a cool dry place. I do not know what the heat would do to it, if it is not excessive. Primers should be fine I would think.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I lived in Indana, South Dakota, Colorado, Arizona, oregon, washington and now Idaho. Some of those climates are humid, some dry and hot. I have lots of Powder that is 30+ years old and has moved with me and it still shoots like it was freshly made

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Forever and a day if keep cool and dry. How hot does it get in that garage. If it goes bad it will smell like ammonia. HMB

6. jliveng1

jliveng1 TS Member

The temperature in inside of a garage can reach 120 degrees on a regular basis during the Phoenix summers. Does that fall with-in the "cool" range?

7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I've got some over 20 years old. Most of those years it was in Florida - but it was stored on a top shelf of a closet inside an a/c house.

Mike

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Load up a couple of boxes and hit the range. I would give you better than even odds that the powder is just fine.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Clays hasn't been on the market long enough to be bad :)

I just finished loading some Winchester 450LS and some Alcan 5. Some with Flite Max wads. It's so old most of the Trap shooters haven't even heard of them. I still have some Herters 164 to go.LOL

Ajax

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bring it into the house!!! If left in the orginal plastic container you bought it in there will be no problems at all. Oh Yeh, the powder will last longer than you!!! just keep it dry and a little cooler than 120 degress. break em all Jeff

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I had two 8 pounders of Clays in storage since 2001 and just started using them, shoots no different.

CM

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

2005. I'm still using powers from the 1970's. You'll be fine....

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Just a follow up to the question. I have been reloading since 1966(for myself) and have never found any shotgun powder, stored properly, that has gone bad. I have found some rifle powder, but never any shotgun.

Has anyone else?

Ajax

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I just finished a 12 pound keg of 700X that I bought in 1971----I also have some WW2 , 4831 rifle powder that shoots fine.

Chuck

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto buddy Ajax; I recently shot 4 boxes of shells I put together in 1976 with Fed. paper hulls and 700X. I shot them at fun and practice to be certain but there was not a hint of a failure. I know my brother had stored these shells in hot and cold, dry and damp garages from California to N. Mexico, and Squim, Washington. Just keep things dry......breakemall

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Umm, maybe you should ask Hodgdon?

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, were those cases covered with wax? LOL. What would we do without the plastic age?

Well 99, I would think that would be the place to ask about Hodgdon or Winchester powders, or maybe some IMR. I'm not sure they would have any answers for powders like Herters,Alcan,Nobel,older DuPont or even Hercules/Alliant for that matter.

Many of these hoarders, myself included, are still shooting some of this stuff from the 60's and even the 50's. I found two boxes of Dove loads from the 60's loaded with Red Dot. These two came out of a very hot climate and they shot nice.

Just curious if anyone had personal experience with shotgun powder going bad?

Ajax

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

LOL Jack, no, they were just cranked through my (then) brand new Grabber and boxed up for shooting but got lent to my brother who seemed interested in the sport. He hauled them around from place to place until he died a year ago and I got them returned to me by the Sis-in-law.

RE any experience if failures at all? Not me, I've loaded pistol, rifle, and shotguns beginning in 1961 and forming a pistol team for competition in the cop shoots. I can't remember ever having a failure in the pistol and rifle and the rare one in the shot shells were easily determined to be errors of the guy making them, not the powders, wads, hulls, or powder(s). I have some powder that dates back to the 60s still in my garage and I know they'd work if called upon.

Got rain?......breakemall

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hi Bob, can you believe it. It snowed here today. Didn't stick but it came down pretty good. It's only in the 30's now.

I actually had some rifle powder go bad a number of years ago but no telling how old it was when I got it. It was some of the reclaimed 4831. First time I ever smelled bad powder. I have some old Herters 101 and I'm not sure if it's good or not. It was made in Scotland with the old nitrate system and it smelled bad when it was new.:)

Jack

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ajax, the original post asked about Hodgdon Clays, hence my reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.