1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long can I expect my BT99 plus to last?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

A long,long time. I would say your lifetime with replacing springs and pins along the way.
    Doug

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Very strong, very long time...

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have a 1991 BT99 Plus, and it has never been serviced. It has shot maybe a couple of thousand rounds, lever is way to the right. Outside of some blue wear on the rib from the gun rack at my club, it looks like new. I suspect with care, and a bit of service, it can shoot longer than you can.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you don't get mad and throw it against the concrete, probably a very long time.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its probably almost junk now...you better sell it to me while it is still worth a couple bucks in parts

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Alwasy grease the bbl lug that goes into the forend metal. Then it will never get sloppy.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ok. Here is the way you keep any BT from getting sloppy and loose. Use wheel bearing grease (CMD and Krieghoff are ok too) and grease this lug befroe you put the forend on. The forend iron is very thin and each time you assemble the gun you wear the thin metal plate where this lug is received. And as that wears the gun gets sloppy. AND that is thie only reason you see these guns get sloppy. Grease this guy and keep it greased.

[​IMG]

Then while yo are at it grease the parts that you normally think of greasin gto prevent galling.

The hinge pin

[​IMG]

The slot for the ejector

[​IMG]

And the forend iron to recvr conneciton.

[​IMG]

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

My BT-99 was purchased in 1978; shot approx. 2k per year and has no signs of any wear. The barrel locking top release is still to the right of center. I make sure it is lubed at each firing and the gun is cleaned after each use.

There's a guy at my club been shooting his old style BT-99 since the early 1970's and still going strong. During the winter months he shoots it in Florida. I'm not aware that anyone has worn one out. It's a very durable gun with minimal care. The hammer in these guns are massive and I've never heard of that part breaking. Never broke a firing pin either. The weakest part is the ejector extension which is located on the barrel just in front of the ejector. That piece takes the full force of the hammer in the forend. It's easily replaced. If I was limited to one gun, it would be a BT-99. BT-100dc

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The only ones that ever wore out were because of less than optimum cleaning and lube...especially in the areas Jack pointed out in his great photos

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

My BT-99 is a 1970, and has never had to be serviced. My Dad's BT-99 is a 1968 and has shot so many rounds, I couldn't even take a guess. He and Mom used to go to the gun club every Saturday night and shoot a five gallon bucket of shells. They did this for years. His has never had to be serviced either.

Not sure how the "newer" models measure up, but I can't say enough good about the early models.

11. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I will be the dissenting vote.

I am very dissappointed with mine.

It is a 2005 manufacture 34" adjustable comb which I acquired NIB in Feb. 2007 as a 30 year service award.

It has fired no more than 7,000 rounds, been kept properly cleaned/lubed, shot with light 1 oz loads, closed not slammed shut, totaly unaltered, etc.

The lever went within about .040" of center in less than 7,000 rounds. The gun still locks up tight but I don't like the way the lever centered so quick.

Worst problem; when I first got the gun, the trigger pull was right on 4 pounds, consistantly. In less than 7,000 rounds, the trigger pull went to 1 1/2 pounds. This was due to sear wear.

This is my first BT-99 even though I have been shooting for 40 years, I have observed them in use for four decades and had high hopes for mine, based on what I saw.

I had the choice of what my service award was and I selected a BT-99 because I had never had one and I hoped and expected it was a gun I could enjoy, trouble-free for a long time. This has been a disappointmen and I wish I had chosen something else.

If your 1994 gun has been well cared for and you look after it, I expect it will serve you well for a long time. IMHO, "the jury is still out" on the guns made after 2000 when the BT-99 was reintroduced.

12. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

RE: Greasing. I also apply grease to the locking bar recess on the barrel (locking lug).

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I made a joke earlier on this thread but seriously I bought a BT99 Golden Clays. This was about three years ago. It was NIB. The first day the center bead fell out. While cleaning it the 1st time I notice that the factory porting was not deburred and it was bad enough that I thought I could cut myself on the ports. Also the graycoil sytem some of the edges of the aluminum was sharp enough to cut me and I did get cut before I filed them down. This was Brownings top of the line BT99. I never did shoot it well and sold it. The person I sold it to loves it. Maybe I got one that failed to go though any QC. I hope so because they missed the boat on the QC of this particular gun. Back to answering the orininal question I still believe it's almost impossible to wear one out.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The older guns were better made in my opnion also the big bore guns seem to be well made and shoot softer. I have had both and deceided to keep the bige bore gun. I do not think there is a better single for the money except the TM1 Perazzi they can be purchased from 1200.00 to 2500.00 dollars and they are solid quality guns. I paid 1500.00 for a real nice one but got my BT99 big bore for 800.00. I only hope to live long enough to wear them both flat out.

15. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Thank you for the pics MIA. I did not know about greasing the bbl lug. I am always impressed by the way, that the gentlemen on this forum will take the time to share their knowledge. Rodbuster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

worn bt99