1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long and how much??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mxrider458, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

New to the site, and new member in the ATA, but not new to trap shooting. My question is to the guys that have been shooting for a while, how long did it take you to get where you are, and how much time did you spend at one spot before moving on(basically handicap yardages)? I've been shooting off and on for about 5 years. I've shot in a local winter/summer league, but never entered bigger shoots. I did this for 2 years in a row, but kind of stopped, as the love for competative target archery took over. I worked my butt of for 4 years shooting bow to get where I'm at, but don't see much future in it. I've won 5 of 7 state titles this year, and 9 in the past 2 years. I was hoping to get noticed for a staff position, but just not happening, so I'm back in trap. I bought a CG Summit combo unsingle. I have about 1,000 rounds through it, and seem to be catching on, but not as good as I was with my old XT trap a few years ago. I still us the new gun excuse, but hope to get away from it. Guys told me about 3,000 just to feel it out. Is this true? Any help or guidance is appreciated. Also, any good instructor schools to go to...Thanks!!

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Stick with archery, friend. It sounds like you're good at it. If your reason for leaving archery is lack of product endorsements or staff positions, I got news for you...trap doesn't have squat for that.

You sound like you're young. Stick with what you know. It's cheaper and has a richer future.

Signed,

Washed-up Has-been trapshooter

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

buzz-gun is right about the endorsements and sponors and such but i won't be so quick to run you off. Check with a local club in your area and see if they have any trap coaches or clinincs you could attend. Alot of the so-called Big Guns(our term given to the elite top shooters) give one or two day clinics at various clubs around the country. The clinics are usually not cheap but are about the best thing you can do to better your game. As for the people that said 3000 rounds just to get used to the gun, i agree and disagree. Just like archery, it takes practice practice paractice. The more rounds you put thru your gun the more comfortable you will be with it. One of the most important things about a trap gun is not the make or model but the fit. Perhaps your XT fit you better than your new purchase. I could go on and on but you get the picture. Its really no different than archery, its just using a different tool and shooting a different target.

Matt

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The late great Frank Little said it takes 5,000 rounds to get used to a new gun. I am not a good enough shooter to argue with his thought on the subject he was a truly great shooter.

Franks shooting Biography can be seen at the link I posted above. His official website is at http://www.franklittleshooting.com/ Maintained by his daughter Kim I believe she also posts here.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.