1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long after cataract surgery?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sid fraser, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sid fraser

sid fraser TS Member

I am going to have cataract surgery soon. How long after surgery before it is OK to shoot?

Sid Fraser

2. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Just finished getting the surgery done on both eyes. I was told to wait 2 weeks. Good Luck you will enjoy your new sight.

Jerry Walker

3. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

Had one eye done a year ago the other next week. Doctor told me to wait two weeks. However, it took about three to four weeks before my vision really got sharp. I am sure everyone is a little different. You be surprised at the difference.

Ron

4. RJ

RJ TS Member

Had left eye done then two weeks later had right eye done and two weeks later Dr. said go shoot with my blessing. Best thing I have ever done. The only thing I might add is use the eyedrops to help keep them extra moisened. I live in Az. and we get sand storms or blowing sand and dust quite a bit. This helps wash out the sand or dust to. Don't touch the eye or eyes unless you use the drops first to wash them out. Then use a soft tishue to blot em. Be sure to use some shooting glasses, this helps greatly expecialy if the dust and sand is blowing. Not only for that, but for protection as you are shooting to. RJ IN AZ>

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

My doctor said a week to 10 days was ok. No problems at all.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My Dr. said resume normal activities after two weeks. That included shooting. I had my eyes done two weeks apart. For about two weeks after the last surgery I had extremely good eyesight, 20-20 in each eye, without glasses, and I was very pleased. But be forwarned: It seems to be quite common after cataract surgery for a lace like film to separate inside the eye causing what looks like out of focus cobwebs floating just in front of your eye(s). This is common to the point where the Drs. Office has brochures explaining what has happened. I do not have the brochure handy but if you want more info I will find the formal name given this after effect. This happened to me in each eye approx 4 to 5 weeks after surgery. So far there is no plan to relieve the problem. I am told that the problem may deminish over time or that I may "GET USED TO IT". If not, after 3 months he can try to break it up with lasor. At this point, 6 weeks after final surgery, I am very frustrated. I see well most of the time but the fuzzy cobwebs are maddening. Many people have good results without suffering this problem. No one explained this possible side effect to me ahead of time and I thought you should be aware. Good luck, Marc

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I am looking into having my cataracts removed. I am pretty much blind in my left eye. Right is better. To say the least I am worried about the whole thing.
    Todd

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

luvtrapguns, sorry to hear about your problems. They are very uncommon for this type of surgery.

Trapshooter, it's a very common and accepted procedure that will benefit you immeasurably.

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

9. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Luvtrapguns,

Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble. It has been 46 days since I had my right eye done, and 25 days since my left eye surgery. At this point I am not having any of the problems you describe.

However a friend of mine had his done and after 5 or 6 years he was having the same problems you are having. He had the laser procedure, and it fixed the problem.

At this point I have 20/20 vision in both eyes and have regained my night vision. I do have to use reading glasses. The only problem I have experienced is, that before surgery I was experiencing a "cross dominance" problem. It is now much more pronounced. I am going to have to use tape on my left lens or something.

I highly recomend the surgery.

Jerry Walker

10. sid fraser

sid fraser TS Member

Thanks for the responses. I go in for the first one Monday. I think I will have the other done as soon as the Doc will do it. I am not looking forward to the time where I have to wear the patch at night.

Sid Fraser

11. TjayE

TjayE Member

luvtrapguns (Marc)

Marc, I am having the same problems with my cataract eye surgery as you explained you are having. I had cataract removed from my right eye and lens implant on May 1, 2009 and same procedure on my left eye September 18, 2009. I have not had good eye site since the operations. My eye surgeon said I am one in one hundred where the surgery does not work for the good. Now what am I to do? The surgeon tell me it will take time for my eye site to get better. It has been one year for my right eye and seven month for my left eye since the operations. Still can not see well. I do not know what to do. I hate to go back to the same surgeon. Tom

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

TjayE, then go to another one!! It's your eyes!

13. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

My Doc turned me loose at one week after surgery, vision fantastic, sorry to hear about problems of others. This is one of the most common surgeries worldwide. Try consulting a doctor in a teaching hospital to correct extraordinary problems. Hurry, before the Bamster puts all our hospitals and doctors out of business and the docs have to get in the perpetual soup lines with us and our kids. Wait, they're gonna let us Old Farts croak to make the lines shorter. Then perhaps the docs will tell our children about the great system we once had before Nazi healthcare.

14. shootsome

shootsome Member

In March I had both eyes done one week apart (Wed). On Thursday after the second cataract was removed the doctor cleared me to shoot that weekend. I was suprised but shot. No problems.Should have had this surgery done 10 yrs ago when they found my first cataract. One obbservation. It's really bright out there now. I've had to go to a bit darker lenses.

15. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

After surgery the colors are phenominal compared to the washed out brown-tan shades before surgery. The difference is amazing. Songbirds radiate color. Shootsome makes a good point about darker glasses. Even with tinted auto glass, you'll need darker glasses while driving or shooting in bright sunshine .Some cataracts are sudden onset, see your doctor regularly. One eye can become badly impaired over a short period, but the healthy eye will hide the condition. Eye dominance problems can be a result of changing vision.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you ask your doctor?? Do any of these experts know you and your personal problem.

Don

17. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I vote with Don. My Dr who shoots a little had me wait
    30days. Said probably not necessary but why risk a problem.
    Had done in winter so nothing missed.

Doyal

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

This is the problem and is easily corrected.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/cataract-complications.htm

19. luvtrapguns

I have added a new post with follow-up. Marc

20. luvtrapguns

ke4yyd,

Thank you for the response. This differs from my condition. I have made a new post to better describe whats going on. Thanks, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cataract surgery one 1 eye how long do you wait to have other eye done

after cataract and lens surgery how long do you wait unyil having the other eye done

cutting grass after cataract surgery

how long after cataract surgery till you can use a push mower to mow lawn
how soon after catract surgerg can i mow my grass
how soon can i mow the lawn after cataract surgery
should grass cutting avoide after cataract surgery
when should it be ok to mow lawn after cataract surgery