1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How long after Carpal Tunnel Surgery??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Ok, I am right handed and having carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand. How long before you were able to get back to shooting registered targets? I am hoping that for singles and caps anyway, that I will not miss too much time. I would like to hear from others that have gone through this. I know if it was my right hand it would be longer since I am right handed, But hoping that since it is my left hand I can be back shooting sooner.

Thanks,

Jim Bradbury

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Jim, it should take too long. I had my left done 2 years ago Feb 22 and my right done March 11. I started shooting in early April with no problems. As long as I didn't put a lot of pressure on my palms everything was good. Good luck with it. Larry

3. Beni

Beni Member

Hey Jim, Had carp surgery on my left hand 1 year ago was only out of shooting 3 weeks and all is well now. Just had right hand done and shot right after stiches came out ,that was way to soon. Had surgery mid december and am now back to shooting 100 targets day no problem, just remember do the stretches and rehab like they tell you. Good Luck beni

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Have them do the surgery from under the wrist. It does not cut the muscles in the hand. I had mine done on a Friday and went back to work on a Monday. I never did stop shooting. My shooting buddy had his done the old way. He was out for 6 weeks.

Good Luck,

Ajax

5. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Thanks guys, This sure makes me feel better. I should not miss hardly any shooting which is great news. I am just getting really settled in with the new gun I bought last January and do not want to miss any more shooting than I have to.

Thanks everyone,

Jim Bradbury

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3 weeks, right handed, surgery on the trigger hand. Also had the "trigger finger" syndrome in the pinky on that hand released at the same time.

Nice not to have my hand buzzing.

HM

7. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

If you do the rehab exercises daily, several times, you should be good to go two weeks after brace/bandage is removed and exercise. Had my right hand done and I'm right handed.

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I had ligament surgery on my right hand (I'm right handed) and was still in the brace when I started shooting again. I think that was around 2 or 3 weeks post surgery, I waited until cast was off and stitches were out. Was uncomfortable shooting in the brace, but no issues otherwise doing it. Following PT, was shooting at full speed within 2 months.

HJH

9. eperry

eperry Member

I was told 2 weeks, was more like 2 months til up to snuff

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

Three weeks with the regular sort of surgery through the hand. There is another type, endoscopic through a small cut in the wrist, which has a much shorter recovery period. HOWEVER, the risk of failure is higher with endo, about 15% vs. 2% with the regular type. I recently had the regular type after my surgeon showed me some statistics. She does both, BTW.

11. running bear

running bear Member

It surprises me how many doctors are on here?

12. letts

letts TS Member

Doctor said six weeks. I listened, did what he said. That was two years ago. I ride my Harly, my 4X4, my snowmobile (the snowmobile gave me the most problems prior to sugery) shoot trap, sporting and a little skeet. No problems what so ever as of right now. My surgeon recomended that he do a one inch cut as he felt he could do a better job that way. He was right at least I think so. Very happy with outcome of sugery.

Letts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long are carpule tunnel surgery in typing ok

how long before i can type after carpal tunnel surgery

how long until i can type after carpel tunnel surgery