1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    for the past 3 years i have used a browning bps trap gun. it has a pull trigger, and i have never flinched while shooting it. recently i purchased a rem 870 tb and started flinching immediately with that gun. i also purchased a 870 release trigger and that stoped my flinching. today i went to the gun club, took the wrong gun to the club and shot my old bps. out of 50 targets i had zero flinches. last week when i shot the pull trigger for the last time i had numerous flinches. How can this be? can you flinch with certain brand guns and not other brand guns? if so, i have never heard of anything so wierd. What do you think. the remington pull trigger is set at 4 lbs without creep, same as the bps. any insite would be appreciated.
    steve balistreri

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Check the trigger pull first, the 870 may require more pull strength. If they are the same or close then make sure you are pulling straight back on the 870 trigger. If the grip is farther away from the trigger you may be pushing on the side and your brain expects the gun to go off and it doesn't causing the flinch. JRM

3. senior smoke

perga1- you bring up some possibilities. the stock length on the bps is 14 1/4, the 870 lop is 14 3/8. on the bps, the grip is closer to the trigger than the 870. over the years, we have all heard possible reasons for flinching. i have heard, your mind is telling you it doesn't want the recoil, or your site picture isn't correct, your afraid of missing. the list goes on and on. could it be if the pistol grip is to far away, your finger is not positioned correctly and when you start pulling the trigger , and the gun does not go off when your mind thinks it should, you flinch?? thanks for the good response.
    steve

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An 1/8" LOP difference contributes to flinching?!?!?!

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

SS, I experienced a flinch after I installed a PFS on my GA1. I thought this is rediculous. Then I realized the grip of the PFS positioned my finger more on the side of the trigger and when I pulled the trigger the gun did fire but it was not when I expected and I would flinch. I never flinched before that and have not since I changed grips so that my finger was pulling straight back. In another case I tried a Precision trigger. The trigger was faster than my stock trigger so I was taking the bottoms and backs off handicap targets. I spoke with Jim Coons and then sent him the trigger. He increased the pull from 3-1/4 lbs. to 4-1/2 lbs. It did the trick to get me back on target but I developed a finger flinch. I guess after shooting a 3-1/4 lb. pull trigger for 17 years I couldn't get used to the extra pull required so I started to flinch. I put the stock trigger back in the gun and no more flinch. Just my experiences over the years.Jim

6. senior smoke

perga1- it is unbelievable that such little changes can create big problems for us shooters.
    steve

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I guess that $275 gun was not such a good deal after all.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke's experience highlights two important things in shooting -

1 - Fitting is extremely immportant. It should be the highest priority of any shooter.

2 - Gun designs vary greatly among makers/manufacturers. Standard lengths of pull (14 3/8" e.g.) do not necessarily define how a gun fits. For a given gun, 14 1/4" may be long compared to someone elses 14 3/8". Configuration and design mean a lot.

Senior, thanks for bringing this up.

Best,
    Dennis

9. senior smoke

shannon391- i second that!!! best gun i ever owned was an old style bt 99 purchased in 1974. wish i still had that gun.
    steve

10. senior smoke

pendennis:
    i have been shooting since 1970. after 38 years, i realize that there is alot i still don't know about this sport. infact, i will be placing a new thread about knowledge in regards to this sport.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.