1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW IS THE GROUSE HUNTING IN YOUR AREA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

How is the ruffed grouse hunting doing this year in your part of the country? Here in western Pennsylvania it has been fantastic. Have made it out the last four Saturdays and have been averageing 7 to 9 flushes a day. Finally got one this past Saturday.

2. AACT

AACT TS Member

Hi Yukon....

We don't have Grouse in New England. We only have Partridge. My son and I took ten in North Western Maine in two days & seven in Southren Vermont so far. Population is up in both states.

Partridge dinner this Sunday, opening weedend of deer season, for ten guys. A litle snow & colder weather will help on an already great season in the great state of Vermont. Two year old Lab from Mario Fasano is comming into his own this year. Life is good.

Good luck in PA.

E S Hale

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

not worth a damn in Ks.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What's a Grouse? Here in eastern PA it was not uncommon to get 30 to 40 flushes a day-that was in the 60's and 70's. I've now forgotten what they look like!!

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

The only Grouse I hunt is in the cabinet, The Famous Grouse, good stuff. Try some.

6. philk

philk Member

Just back in Indiana after deer hunting in nw Minnesota. Didn`t spend much time on Ruffs as I wanted but seems to be quite a few, also lots of Sharptail. There are a few of each that left me looking like a fool.

7. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Sharptail Grouse seem to be fairly steady in numbers from year to year here in central Nebraska . Its the Pheasants that have vanished. Also dont see many Prairie Chickens any more , only Sparptails .

8. old tex

old tex TS Member

Well in Texas we don't have grouse, we do however have several old grouches. Kenny is president of the North Texas chapter!!!

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

SOuthern NH it is horrible.....at least for me

10. james dent

james dent TS Member

in nevad we hae sage grouse and blue grouse and some ruff did go sage and blue huntting never see any ruff before but me and my shrot hair have got a lot of chuckar and quail so far

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pretty sucky. We had a fair amount of forest grouse a couple of decades ago. Enough that I'd hike old logging roads for them. Until this season's deer hunt, I haven't seen or heard a grouse in western Oregon for over a decade. Heard one drumming a couple of weeks ago.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Brian? Are you joking me? I saw more ruffed grouse last year then I have all the other years of my life combined! I killed multiple limits with my 28ga. I bet i shot 50 grouse last year. It was the highest end of a cycle I have ever seen. I had days when I was deer hunting that i could have shot a limit with my bow if I had brought along bird arrows.

This year is another story. I have seen two grouse this year. Quail numbers ( Mountain quail) seem to be about where there always are but the Grouse just plummeted. You need to hunt Lane county and in the Coast range of lane and Coos county. This is where I have always seen the most grouse and the best areas to hunt with a dog. Jeff

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- Like in eastern Penna. the Grouse have nearly disappeared in southwestern Virginia. We have lots of Turkeys and Bears are becoming quite common. But, the Grouse have gone and Quail are uncommon.

Pat Ireland

14. dshot

dshot Member

Just what Pat said, I hunting all year, 10 years ago, I would shoot 20 to 30 a seson, now you have a good season if you flush 5 a year. Don't plan on getting a shot, they run, flush way ahead of the dog. It's not the same game but I refuse to give up on the sport or the Va. game com.

15. davnport

davnport Member

AACT:
    When I lived in Maine, I was told that Grouse were shot over pointing dogs, while Partridge were shot out of trees.. :)

Carl Davenport

16. PNT

PNT Member

It's been great in NW MN, both ruffed & sharptail grouse. Best in years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.