1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How is shipping of guns done?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by slowdp, Jun 2, 2013.

1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Please help get firearm selling ready by answering the following questions. I have bought guns for years but never sold any except locally. It is now time to sell quite a few items.

1: Do hand guns have to be shipped from gun dealers in Florida or can they be shipped directly to the buyer's recommended firearm trader without a local firearm trader?

2: I assume rifle and shotgun items are taken directly to the shipper for all shipping. The local shipper (seller) sends the gun to the firearm dealer point to by the receiver. Is this right?

3: How is question number 2 handled for shipping to California?

4: Any other states similar to the problems with California (question 3)? Which states and what?

5: Where are good quality boxes and packing material bought? What are the best packing material items?

6: What else do I need to know to line up selling and shipping of guns.

7: Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

No one can help with the info needed?

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Go to your local gun store and have them ship it for you.

I sell and ship guns all the time. It's not hard to do but there are rules.

Just getting started I would go the gun store route for a while until you learn what to do.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

1. Can't help you because I don't deal with handguns or live in FL.

2. Correct. Federal law even allows you to ship private party to private party, without going through a FFL, if both parties are residents of the same state, and state law doesn't prohibit it.

3. For a private seller, CA is no different from any other state. If you're dealing with target-grade shotguns, you have very little to worry about. If you're dealing with semi-automatic rifles, pistols, ect, you need to be aware of what is legal and what is not, regardless of the state.

4. Not that I've run across.

5. I reuse boxes I already have, so I can't help on that.

I've got 2 guns in Fedex hands right now, one I sold, one going back to mfg for upgrades. Both should be delivered Thursday. I don't ship a lot of guns (under 5 per year) but have yet to have an issue, knock on wood.

5. BustClays

BustClays Member

0   0   0

For long guns, get a long narrow box, label it "Golf Clubs," and ship it anywhere you like. For a handgun, do likewise only with a shoe box. After you have shipped , just sit back, relax and wait for the knock on your door. BTW, did you just arrive here from another planet? If I am being too harsh, well then I apologize. Take these questions to your local Florida gun shop, they will fix you up.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Thank you all for the directions.

7. Customstox

Customstox Member

0   0   0

Bustclays is waiting for a knock on the door from the Feds. You have to declare it is a firearm when you are shipping it.

Pistols can go by USPS if they are sent by and FFL holder to an FFL holder. Otherwise they have to go by common carrier and sent next day or something similar that is expensive.

You can send a rifle or firearm to another state without involving an FFL but it must go to an FFL holder to do the paperwork and get a background check.

I use a lot of bubble wrap and make sure the firearm is stationary in the box. You can often get boxes from gun stores for shipping. I make it a practice to ship them by USPS Registered mail. It may cost a bit more but it is the most secured way to ship. Make sure you get insurance on the contents.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

The most economic way to ship handguns is to take them to a ffl and have them ship it via Priority. Otherwise Customstox is correct, they have to be shipped via commercial carrier and I believe they must go next day, which even for a small box is pricey.

Long guns can be shipped regular ground from the seller directly to a ffl if they will accept from a non-ffl holder. Some dealers do, others don't. It is customary for the seller to include a copy of an id for the dealer to log the firearm into their books.

AS far as packing goes, don't scrimp and insurance is advisable. If the firearm is damaged you at least have a shot at getting the damage covered.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Customstox is wrong. There is no rule that says you have to identify the contents as a gun. Maybe handgun rules are different, but long guns require no identification. Make sure you obey all state laws.

10. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

0   0   0

The ATF site has the answers to many of your questions. I used UPS, got a lamp box 40x12x12 from one of their stores, bubble wrapped the shotgun, put it in an old shotgun box, centered it in the lamp box and put foam peanuts around the inner box. You do not put anything on the box showing it is a weapon, that infro goes on the receipt for the insurance. The insurance cost as much as the shipping.

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You have to declare the contents of your package if shipping it via UPS. You have to declare the items and the value. At my local UPS hub, they made me open up the box to inspect the firearm to make sure it was not loaded. I just roll my eyes and deal with it and package it back up. I have shipped several long guns within the last couple of years, some just field guns and others were "high end" sporting shotguns. A couple of guns were evil black rifles. Each time was the same. I have shipped only one gun via FedEx Ground and I still had to declare the contents on the paperwork, since I was insuring it for $5000. Writing something goofy like "metal machine parts" will not help you with your insurance claim, should your package become lost or damaged and you want to claim the insurance.

What I don't do is put any words like "gun" or "firearm" or "shooter" or associated words on the recipient's mailing label. For example: Joe Blow's Shooting Supplies would be put on the label as Joe Blow Supplies.