1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is----

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I am about to buy my first O/U Trap gun. How important is it to have an adjustable comb? Should I spend the extra $250 for an adjustable comb?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Try it first and see. An adjustable comb can always be added later. Most shooters will be helped with an adjustable comb, but if you have a rather short neck, right out of the box may serve you well.

Pat Ireland

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Tom try it out first. I can say that my SKB (1st Trap Gun)has served me very well, and it has an adjutable comb, and I am glad that I have it. Good fit with the gun is important. bkt

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I say why wouldn't you get it. Depending on the gun, $250 could be a small percentage of the overall cost. Gives you a chance to change if your body weight changes. Don't have to send it off to be done and then be without your gun. Allows for custom fit as your form develops.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The adjustable comb is.. in my book.. the very first thing to do to your shotgun shy of the pattern board to check POI. I remember when I got my MX14.. one tiny shim was the difference between a break.. and an inkball.. Made a believer out of me.. When I changed sights on my bunker gun this summer.. a comb adjustment was needed to recenter my pattern..
    You might be dead on today.. but.. what about tomorrow?????

6. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

The money spent on an adjustable comb will be well spent..... PBB is right, sometimes it takes only a little shim to center the target versus breaking one. You will appreciate it later to have one now...............Good Luck

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

An adjustable comb is an important feature but you need to understand how and when to make adjustments. Usually some coaching is required to get to that point. The good news it that there are several people that can install very high quality adjustable combs if you decide to make that transition. Check out tronspace.com for examples and pricing. The hardware and fitting that Joe (Tron) does is much better than what you find on most factory installed adjustable combs.

So my recomendation is to buy the gun you want without an adjustable comb and shoot it for awhile. If and when you determine that there is a consistent point of impact problem then have the adjustable comb installed.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with wolfram. Try it first and then you can always have the adjustable comb installed later. If you have Tron, Greg Hissem or several others that have been mentioned on this forum that install combs; you will get better hardware than what most companies provide. Ed

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's nice to at least have the option of adjustment. What are you going to do if it doesn't fit? An adjustable butt pad would be your second choice and it's a lot cheaper. I'd have both on the gun when I picked it up. Don't worry so much, this the fun part.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have always needed a higher than standard drop at the comb but I have never had an adjustable comb. In the early days it was moleskin on the comb and later on it was laminating a block of walnut onto the stock. For the last 25 years I have used a Meadow Industries Convert-A-Stock pad or something similar cuz I like the feel of a soft comb but I haven't switched guns either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.