1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important Is The Supreme Court Ruling?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I just read a disturbing fact in a Firearms Trade magazine, American Firearms Industry. Perhaps beside me, many of you are or were unaware of this fact. There are 55 million Adult Americans who live in an area of the United States where owning a firearm is either outlawed or restricted. That's around 35 percent of the Adult population. That fact is another piece of importance on the upcomming Supreme Court Judgement.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

With the correct ruling; states, counties, cities will have to issue handgun permits (where required) and if not, they will have to prove why a person cannot have a permit.

In many regions, a county worker, judge, or sheriff can turn you down, as the unofficial rule is no permits issued for regular people as seen in NYC.

Also, you will not have to keep your firearm disassembled (long guns) in your home (Washington DC).

http://losttarget.blogspot.com/2008/03/right-to-bear-arms.html

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I hope we don't have to have another Tea Party to fix this problem.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The NRA and other pro-gun groups I'm sure will start legal action where needed, state by state, upon a favorable ruling by the Supreme Court.

You do all belong to the NRA?

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Of course Joe.

Mike

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A decision by the court that the 2nd Amendment is vested as an individual right does not negate federal or state rights to implement restrictions. Feds already restrict fully automatic firearms and individual states can institute further restrictions, but I think the threshold that will be breached is the ability to totally ban a type of legal firearm.

Handguns are legal. Therefore if the SCOTUS interprets the 2nd Amendment to be an individual right, states or cities (if the states defer) can continue to restrict ownership "reasonably" by requiring licensing, registration, banning concealed carry, limit magazine capacity etc... but not allowing any licensing, no registration would be deemed a ban of a legal type of firearm and probably no longer allowed... if we get that interpretation.

Taking that to an absurd conclusion, if the Federal government wanted to ban concealable firearms, I suppose they could try and do what they did with machine guns - then the rank and file would only have their long guns.

something to watch...

Jay

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Brian in Oregon, there is more than this problem that calls for a new tea party.

8. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Joe Potosky,

Facts show without a doubt that many on this site DO NOT belong to the NRA. It is sad but true. Before the elections in 2000, NRA figuers showed that there were 82 million gun owners in the United States and yet only 4.2 million were NRA members. Try something sometime. Next time you are at a shoot and a discussion ensues regarding gun control, ask those involved to see their NRA membership card. I did this twice in a 3 month period. I walked around at a turkey shoot where 35 shooters were present and asked to see NRA cards. There was 3 counting mine........ The next time I asked was at a registered trap shoot and of the 20 people I asked, I found 2 counting mine.

People will rant and rave and whine about reasons NOT to be NRA members. "I get tired of all the mailings" "Why don't they ask someone else for money?" etc. The simple fact remains that the NRA is the one and ONLY pro Second Ammendment that fights for our rights 365 days a year. When I hear Charles Schumer or Hillary Clinton make a statement when gun control measures fail in a certain state: "The NRA was heavily involved here." it makes me smile.

The first, most important and positive step in fighting gun control is joining the NRA. If you haven't I hope you will do so today.

Thanks!

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I agree with Bisi about a new "Tea Party". Samuel Adams said that a country needs a revolution every few years. Given the corruption of American ideals and the ignoring of our Constitution by our elected officials, we are long overdue.

The slogan should be, "throw the bums out". Every incumbent should be sent packing, for a start. Then term limits should be imposed on all elected officials. All professional staffers should also have service time limits since they are the ones who really run the country and they certainly run the elected officials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.