1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is having a back-up gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

and do you haul it to all your shoots ?
    I have a combo and shoot all three events, but don't have anything to shoot should I have a break-down. Never had a problem so far, but hate the thought of traveling 100's of miles only to miss out do to a malfunction.
    If you shoot it well is an Auto better than another O/U?

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Very important, and the older you get and the more money you have to spend the more backup guns you need!!

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is imperative.

How else do you justify having two K80's?

That's my story and I am sticking with it.

Don

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like knowing that, if I have a problem, I can retrieve the backup gun quickly. Both are Remington 870 trap grades.

Over the years, I have used a backup gun three times. The reasons for the stoppages were a broken firing pin, really stuck federal paper hull in barrel and broken action bars.

Ed Ward

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

In my experience not only do you need one but it should be the same kind and fit as your regular gun. Had to switch to back up gun several times and since I was shooting a break open gun (90T or 682)and the back up was a fitted 1100 it was a goat rodeo. Your experiences may vary.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Ljutic, you'll not need a backup gun.

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

BEWARE, the man with ONE gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You worry too much!

Morgan

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never leave home with out one.

Seriously, I never have had a gun failure during a shoot but the one time I show up with less than two guns the worst case scenario will happen. Having a plan B is a good idea.

As mentioned above, plan B is a perfect reason to get another shotgun. (As if reason is applicable)

10. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I normaly bring an extra gun along. The one time I didn't I had a problem and had to borrow a gun to shoot league..........Roger

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I always carry a backup gun when I attend a registered shoot. I have had to go to the backup only once. However, it is one less thing to worry about. A gun is a mechanical instrument that can break down. It is comforting to know that if your main gun malfunctions you have something to fall back on. I have a Beretta 682 combo and my backup is a Super X-1. Even though they are two very different guns; they shoot the same for me. Ed

12. tomk2

tomk2 Member

When travelling to shoot, I always have one. No point in driving or flying somewhere, only to end up sitting around. For a local shoot of normal consequence, one gun is enough.

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I used to shoot a Model 12 and never carried a back up gun. I now shoot a SBT gun and carry my 682 doubles gun as a back up. I can shoot both equelly bad or good depending on the day. I did have a breakdown last week on my TMX the fireing pin broke and I could not open the gun with a live shell. I was able to take the forarm off and remove the barrel to unload the gun. When we took the stock off half the fireing pin fell out it is easy to replace but cost 40.00 for that skinny little piece of needle compaired to a Model 12 pin it is a sewing needle. First time I had a gun break on me in 50 years but I don't shoot but 8 to 10 thousand a year.

Buddy

14. mono1393

mono1393 Member

With a combo a person can get an extra receiver, or if you have a drop out trigger gun, a receiver and a trigger and be safe. You don't really need the whole gun. If it is a problem with the barrel, you can switch to the other barrels. You may want to put a stock on the receiver set up exactly as your original. I haven't been able to do the above yet, but that is the plan for the future.

Chris Morris

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Unless all these guns are identical, my crystal ball sees lost targets in your future. You can drag extra guns along, but can you hit your average with your "back-up" gun.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Whenever I buy a gun my wife tells me to get two, so I will have a back up gun if something goes wrong with the first one. HMB

17. vdt

vdt Active Member

sorry,but i have been shooting the same gun since 1983 it has never failed to fire ,i shoot about 8000 rounds a year ,have owned several back up guns ,[which i could never shoot as good as the one i shoot ],o i forgot to tell you i shoot a poor man's MX3-c Perazzi but i keep it very clean and well oiled ,helli told you my secret....vdt

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It's only important if the gun your using breaks. I take my Mod 12 as a backup. I cannot afford another K80.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's not important at all--------unless your main gun breaks down.

John C. Saubak

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot a Beretta 303 auto and I have 11 backups. My wife simply does not understand that one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.