1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW IMPORTANT IS AN ADJUSTABLE RIB ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,
    I"m an old (age )new shooter. I see a lot of guns today with adjustable ribs. How important is that to the shooter such as myself. Also I see most combo guns as 34/32 . Is the 34/30 combo a bad choice-they seem to sell for less ? If so why ? I can remember many years ago fellows shot 1100 & model 12 shotguns with no rib adjustments. I can understand progress , I just want to know the importance -or is it another " gingerbread " option .
    I have a BT99 PLUS -it has an adjustable rib but I've never touched it. Maybe I should .
    Just looking for some answers ?
    Thank you in advance for your time & help.
    HIT

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

FOLKS , I"m an old (age )new shooter. I see a lot of guns today with adjustable ribs. How important is that to the shooter such as myself. Also I see most combo guns as 34/32 . Is the 34/30 combo a bad choice-they seem to sell for less ? If so why ? I can remember many years ago fellows shot 1100 & model 12 shotguns with no rib adjustments. I can understand progress , I just want to know the importance -or is it another " gingerbread " option . I have a BT99 PLUS -it has an adjustable rib but I've never touched it. Maybe I should . Just looking for some answers ? Thank you in advance for your time & help. HIT

Hit- IN MY OPINION...................

Adj. Ribs; They mean little if you are getting the sight picture you want; figure 8, etc. Some shooters like a pair of stacked beads, some want to see a single bead and some want a flat rib. Pretty much, it's a matter of choice as long as the gun shoots where you want it to and where you look.
    If you are not getting the sight picture you want, an adjustible rib may allow you to move the rib to where you feel it should be.

34/32, 34/30; I guess most guys like longer bb'ls. I've heard guys say they like the "swing and balance" of a longer set. I know a trap shooter with a BT-99 and 32" bb's who loves it and would not go to 34". I seem to see more 32" for sale than 34's.

For me, the two best features are an adj. comb and butt plate.-Jerald

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

Check out this post from 1/26, by pheasantsgalore;-Jerald

ADJ. RIBS -- NEED ADVICE

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

hit, I my old combo was 35" and 32" (really 31.5"). When I bought the O/U barrels I bowed to conventional wisdom and bought the 32" set. I was told the 34" don't swing well. I hated switching between them because the sight picture was so different. You would not believe how much difference there was between where the bead had to be in relation to the bird to break it. And that with the barrels set up to shoot to the same POI.

The longer the barrel the less apparent lead you have to see. It truly is more precise. My new set is 35/34 and I love it. Yet, there is still a small difference. If I ever do this again, both will be the same length, as long as they weigh and swing the same.

My barrels came with adjustable ribs. That's the only way they come. I like them and occasionally adjust only the rib. If they didn't adjust, that would be fine also.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Trapguns are trendy. Right now adj rib guns are "in". Right now, if you want to sell or trade your trapgun, you'll do better w/ and adj rib than w/ a fixed rib.
    Likewise w/ the O/U barrels, 32" are more popular than 30".

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

An adjustable rib is a great way to change the POI without moving the comb so a gun might come with a rib that allows the shooter to change the POI from relatively flat to a pattern or so high. Ljutic makes a model that can be thumb adjusted but that seems like a real gimmic. Changing the POI while shooting seems counter-productive. If you thought you were missing targets before, just change the POI between shots. However, there are shooters who swear by changing the POI between singles and handicap and I believe that guns with simple rib adjustments (no set screws) have a real advantage over loosening set screws and trying to find just the right size washer to use on the comb or trying to find the allen wrench or fooling with K-gun ribs.

Having said all that, the rib of my new gun is set all the way down and I am not about to move it up. So for me, a fixed rib producing a POI that is about a pattern high would work just fine. So if you know what your best target smoking POI is, you don't need to pay for the adjustable option - (but I got mine from DeVault and an adjustable rib, comb, and choke tubes are part of the base gun price)

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

An ajustable rib is a very important feature on any trap gun that also has a price tag on it.

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

My unsingle has an adjustable rib and the only advantage I can see is you can raise or lower the point of impact to make the gun shoot where you are looking(when you achieve this you should weld or epoxy it in place),best case scenario is to find a gun that shoots where you are looking with no adjustments.The disadvantage is when you are not shooting well rather than fix your real problem you adjust the rib to try and fix the problem and really make it worse.An adjustable comb can create the same problem,but can be useful to re-create a proper sight picture if you gain or lose little weight or grow a beard in the winter.Jerry

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Hit,

I am an old (age) shooter who has spent way too much money on trying to buy a target. If you have been shooting for a couple of years and have a good idea of where your eyes and reflexes will take you, an adj. rib. might be of some help. If you are a fun shooter and like your gun and shoot in the mid 80s - low 90s you probably are not going to gain a great deal with the adj. rib. It is just another toy to play with. That being said, I have an adj rib on my unsingle and once it got set where I wanted it...there it stays.

JON

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I personally need an adjustable rib. I have the ole' "high cheek/low eye" problem, and shoot what you would call a 100% high gun. I do not shoot well "off the end of the barrel". With a Mod 12 or 1100, I'll see 3/4" of rib between the beads to get my POI. Now, all my trap guns have an adjutable rib or add on rib.

We got 8" of snow last since last night, so I'm home and bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.