1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important is a Shooting Clinic??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Johnny One Time, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny One Time

Johnny One Time TS Member

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if a shooting clinic might help me. I shoot a good score now and then but never know why. Could those of you who are familiar with these clinics tell me how or why they have helped you. Maybe give me some advice on being more consistent.

Thanks Folks,

Hank

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A clinic is the best money you can spend on your trapshooting efforts. Only those who go to a clinic thinking they already know everything fail to learn something.

Ed

3. 2labman

2labman Member

Read the latest Trap & Field. The question for the All Americans was, to paraphrase: "What would you do different if you could start over again"? A large majority of them said they would take a clinic much sooner in their career.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

The question you must ask yourself is are you willing to pay for it and what do you honestly expect to get out of it.

5. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I would be much farther along in my shooting abilities had I taken a clinic when I first started shooting. I was finally able to take a clinic at the end of September and the difference it has made in my shooting is unbelievable. I attended a 2 day clinic with Nora Ross. She made a few changes in the way I hold and mount the gun, had me shorten my recoil pad just a tad, had me tighten up my chokes and changed my stance a bit. She taught us a practice drill that I do first, before I practice or shoot registered. I'm am quicker to the targets, I've made more inkballs in the past month than I have in almost 5 years of shooting. The list goes on. My confidence in my abilities alone has skyrocketed. When I hit 'em, the targets are gone, when I miss, I can tell you precisely where and why I missed. The biggest improvement I have made is in my handicap; not shooting yardage scores yet, but I'm really close.

I didn't expect (nor should anyone) to go out and run 100 straight in anything when the clinic was done. What I did expect was solid teaching and things that could/would work for me. Above all, my willingness to listen and to be open to change was crucial. I listened and I applied those changes.

I WILL attain my goals this year and then some. Best thing I ever did.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The biggest problem I see with clinics is that each instructor teaches his/her own style or own way, whatever you want to call it. If you happen to sign up with someone whose shooting and teaching styles happen to match you own, you may learn a lot. If you sign up with someone who is 180ยบ off from you, you'll have a miserable experience. Some two-eyed teachers cannot give much help to one-eyed shooters and vice-versa. Some teachers teach a high hold and some students just can't adapt to that.

I've taken 3 clinics in my life. Kaye Ohye was first and he and I simply did not get along personally. Let's just say that after I found him abrasive, he found me resistant and let it go at that. Harlan Campbell was second. He explained the "whys" and "therefores" of his style very well, but I simply could not/can not adapt to holding a high gun as he does. I liked his clinic but my scores went down. Nora Ross-Martin and Randy Martin were the last and I finally came away from a clinic feeling as though someone actually wanted to find out how I shot and address my deficiencies and refine my strengths. That clinic I enjoyed.

Personally, I feel it's a bad plan to choose a clinic simply because it's close to your home. A clinic needs to be chosen by instructor, not by mileage.

Morgan

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

very well spent money...especially if you can take one from Britt Robinson!

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think clinics can help or hurt depending on who is giving them. I've seen several clinics given at our club that were just not worth the money. I like individual attention and dislike any "my way or the highway" approaches.

I'll tell you about two clinics that I think were worth the money (for a number of reasons), and I plan to take again in a year or so.

Phil Kiner runs a great clinic with an average of ten pupils. You get lots of theory, lots of classroom work and information, and lots of video examples. Phil checks your barrels, chokes, trigger pull, and set-up. He'll adjust your gun for you, but doesn't have a preferred set-up. His motto is ... whatever works for you. He videotapes you while shooting and you and the rest of the class review them later. You learn a whole bunch about how you stand, mount, move and shoot from the videotape. Much more than you would expect. In this instance, each picture is worth more than 1000 words.

You'll be asked to try this, try that, go back to what you were doing. When Phil tells you, this is what you are doing, pay attention. He's right. For example, I thought I was missing behind from Post 1 and kept opening up my stance. Phil said NO, you're way out in front, close up. He was right, and the ink balls and video proved it.

Harlan Campbell Jr. takes a different approach. You get the theory and the mechanics and you shoot for POI. He sets up your gun, and corrects after he watches you shoot. He explains how to compete. How to be mentally prepared for competition, and how to concentrate. You get a few drills. Harlan likes high shooting guns and has everyone start off with a particular stance and mount. He says he has enough experience teaching and doing, that his method is learnable and useable by anyone. I will say I had no trouble adapting. When I made a modification and it worked, he complimented me for thinking and trying.

Both believe in a "move" to target. I'll say that both helped. Both clinics resulted in lousier scores for quite a while until I got used to all the new. Phil's two day clinic had a class size of 10. Harlan's 2 day clinic was limited to 5 students. I took Phil's last fall, and Harlan's this fall. I like that order. I plan to take a one day refresher course with each next year or the following year. You get a lot of information, but not all of it takes the first time.

9. Johnny One Time

Johnny One Time TS Member

This is going great!!!

HH

10. ouch

ouch Member

Practice makes permanent and old habits are hard to break are two sayings that come to mind. Take a clinic before you start learning bad habits.

I tried several and learned several things from each instructor, But felt I gained the most from Nora and Randy Ross and there 2 day clinic.

If you can afford it try several instuctors to find the one you like best, If not pick any of the big names and let them get you started on the basics. Richard

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The other side of the equation is that some people just are not trainable and will never progress out of the "A/B Class". Trap is just like any other sport in that respect.

Having said that, I feel anyone wanting to be better should spend the money and time on a good course of instruction, practice what they teach and adapt it to your own personal style.

Curt

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Took A kiner clinic in Sept of this year and the results were immediate. I've only shot registered two times since then but I shot better scores in both of them. I hope it is still the same way next year when I shoot registered again.
    I feel it was well worth the money.

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I am starting my 5th year, I have not taken a clinic yet, I found a book by Fred Missildine, "SCORE BETTER AT TRAP", Of the shooting books I have picked up or started to read, his is great reading, quickly to the point and short enough to enjoy. Maybe it was because I had already made the corrections, and had of all places tried them out in a skeet league, but what I had decided were the faults I had change fit right into what the book instructs.

Now will I take a clinic? still don't know. Still a marching to my own drum kinda of guy.

I will blame my first straight event on this book, if nothing else it was a confidence booster.

If you think a clinic will help, do it! the quicker the better!

Al

14. jimsw

jimsw Member

Clinics can be a great help. I would advise a shooter to take them early in his shooting career. In 25 years of shooting I took 2 clinics with Frank Little, one with Nora (I was a one eyed shooter) and 2 with Daro Handy. They were all excellent.

I took my first clinic with Frank Little after I realized I was shooting better than my friends who were telling me what I was doing wrong. I knew I didn't know what to do but was shooting in the upper 90's, they were shooting in the 80's and very low 90's so I was pretty sure they didn't know what to do either. After the Little clinic I made a deal with myself that I would only do what he said. I'd be polite to my friends but never listen to them. I've only followed the advice of the experts and my shooting has been pretty decent.

Summary, get professional advice and follow it.

15. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Clinics are money well spent. Make sure your gun is professionally fit and you have given yourself an adequate amt of time to get used to it before you go to the clinic. If you dont, much of your clinic time will either be USED UP on gunfitting issues, or your learning experience will be greatly hindered by the lack of proper fit. Coach's worst nightmare is trying to teach an ill-fitted shooter. Todd Nelson

16. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Very

HC returns to NC - March 2008

38-01615

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The only thing you will earn from average shoters is how to shoot average it really is no more complicated then that if you are of average ability. It's a funny thing ... I can't tell you how many guys I have talked to over the years that have taken clinics from my favorite coach Daro Handy. Many of these guys have taken courses from everybody and often after learning the Handy method and it seems that the majority of the guys I talk to say that when they go back to the Handy method they shot better scores. I don't know as I have only taken courses from Daro and since I was so new when I did it I really learned the basics from Daro. As for guys wanting somebody to teach them how to shoot the wrong way better.... Well, There are two schools of thought on that. Learn to do it the way the pro's do it and you should be ahead in the long run or you can perfect the imperfect technique that you are using and be happy doing the best that you can do. I am a fan of following expert advice that I have paid for. If you don't want to learn a new way to shoot then don't bother taking a clinic as far as I am concerned. I went with the mind set that I would be shooting a new method when I got back. Two things.. Take a clinic with an open mind and then practice what you have learned for 10,000 rounds before you decide to go back to the old ways that didn't work in the first place which is why you tok the clinic in the first place.Jeff

18. biff

biff Active Member

This doesn't sound like TS.Com. Where are the Naysayers, maybe they don't feel that since they have never taken a clinic they can't comment on this thread--of course that has never stopped them before!

I liked what Morgan said and have respect for his experienced knowledge. Will I take a clinic, I haven't and doubt that I will. If I were starting out again, I feel it would have helped me to have avoided all the things I had to learn the hard and expensive way. I have heard pros and cons about many of the of the top shooters clinics and at this point I don't feel I need to change my style, nor learn fit or the physical aspects of shooting trap. Once you have mastered the techniques of how to break targets with a gun that fits and shoots where you look and where to look and hold; you are on your own and the instructor will not be breaking the targets you shoot at, YOU must see and shoot the target. YOUR score will be the result. When I miss it is not because I didn't take a clinic, all my misses now are from the mental aspect of shooting.

I'm not putting down the value of clinics and feel most shooters with the right instructor would benefit greatly and avoid having to invent their own wheel. I still want to learn more and read articles pertaing to shooting trap especially in areas of enhancing concentration. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mental aspects of trap shooting

what is a shooting clinic