1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important is a adjustable comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I am looking to purchase an over-under trap gun. How important is it to have a adjustable comb?

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I find it quite important...

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't leave home without it. HMB

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It's as important as an adjustable butt plate..LOP, drop & pitch....with the following proviso....once you learn where it's shooting, and properly adjust the system, preferably with a professional fitter, learn to shoot it, then, leave the damned things alone.

best....mike

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a very important feature that any dedicated target shotgun should have.

That being said, I'm not impressed with the adjustable combs that typically come out of the factories. You are money and quality ahead if you have the adjustable comb installed aftermarket.

Our very own Tron is a master at this kind of work and his prices are much lower than paying for a factory option.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

An adjustable comb is invaluable when you're trying to get the gun to fit you.

After you've got the gun to fit, the comb is a liability that you'll fiddle with every time you hit a slump and figure you can adjust your way out of it.

Keller

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think it was Phil Kiner that said it is the most important innovation made for the trapshooter ever. Being able to dial in the gun without having to fight poor dimensions has really helped a lot of shooter's games.

The adjustable rib took it one step closer but a lot of folks don't understand the relationship between the two adjustments.

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It gives ya something else to blame your misses on.

GneJ

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you don't have one now, you'll never miss it. If you get one on your next gun, you'll never own another one without it.

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

grntitan is right.

When I got my first shotgun with an adjustable comb, I patterned it from a rest and found that I was shooting way left of the point of aim. I was all upset and wanting to return the gun until I learned what cast off was. With some adjustments in the comb, I began to shoot better than I have ever shot in the past. I was also physically more comfortable shooting.

John

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Why does the comb need to be adjustable? It doesn't touch anything!!

[​IMG]

-Gary :p

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If your gun fits you poorly in "stock condition", an adjustable comb could be a lifesaver (along with an adjustable buttpad, and adjustable length of pull).

When it comes to setting your point of impact ("shooting where you look"), the usefulness of an adjustable buttpad depends on the way you like your sight picture set up. If you shoot strictly off the front bead, the adjustable comb will let you dial in your shotgun just like a rifle. If you have a mid-bead and like to line it up with the front bead a certain way, you will just be crawling the stock to get the same sight picture, no matter what you do to the adjustable comb to affect the point of impact. Think about it.

That being said, it IS nice to have the option to adjust it, when you finally get to that point. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

GW22, Bet his left hand got hot shooting a hundred.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Setterman:

They actually made an accessory for that. Made of leather.

-Gary

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I agree with the above about the importance of an adjustable comb.

However, it should not be a deal breaker when buying a shotgun. Others mentioned after-market adjustable combs can be installed. If the O/U does not have an adjustable comb just factor in about $200 for an after-market one.

That said after you purchase the gun take it to the pattern plate to see where it is shooting (aiming from a bench rest) and where you shoot it (free hand focus on the aim point and shoot it at some straight aways).

If the gun fits perfectly from the get go, no need for an adjustable comb.

Jason

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

If you are the type of person who can set up the adjustable comb to fit your particular style of shooting, and lock it down, and never make constant adjustments, it's very valuable.

But, if you are the type that every time you shoot a poor score you take out the allen wrenches to make adjustments, I'd suggest stay away from it.

I have an adjustable comb and found that with every poor score that I shot, I was making changes to the comb. So once I found the correct height and cast I decided to lock the comb down with epoxy.

With all the adjustments that trap guns come with today, I find that some shooters really have a tough time getting the gun to shoot the way they really would like the gun to shoot.

Some shooters including myself, would be better off to shoot a gun without all the adjustments. The key is once you start breaking good scores leave the gun alone.

Sorry to say, some shooters feel that they can make additional adjustments in order to get that one extra target. They than find out the gun shoots worse than it previously did, and then have a very tough time getting the gun back to it's original settings.
    Steve Balistreri

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you had to choose 1 option on a shotgun, it should be a cut adjustable comb. Set it and throw the wrench away.
    Clyde

18. troe

troe Member

i would rather have one and not need it then need it and not have it!

19. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

been shooting a M12 for decades factory original. never had issues. never adjusted anything....because i couldnt. i find the option to adjust can drive people nuts.

i can say this...like pistols, people tend to chase dope and blame the sights rather than poor marksmanship.

too many shooters try to adjust out bad habits.

i use to be able to change my pistol poi just by regripping my pistol. 1/32" difference would send the hole 4" right or left. gun was perfect. i wasnt.

so back to trap.
    ive watched guys with adjustable combs go nuts trying to zero them in. only to have the gun miss the next day, because they changed something in their basic grip, stance, or swing. so to compensate for it, theyd change that comb again. it becomes a crazy goose chase or like trying to catch a greased pig.

thankfully, im just the audience to all of it.

only gun i really zeroed in was my SXM1 trap that i used for world class level skeet 12ga events and doubles. i had to. it was just a tad off on poi, so i used an adjustable morgan pad to get it perfect,(not the comb.) but mind you...it was only after i was skilled enough from years of shooting to be able to know the difference and only after my routine was perfected.

and as time passed, i realized that the whole time i shot and missed, it wasnt because of the gun at all. the gun was perfect. i was me. and as i got better at the shooter basics, the closer i tuned myself to the perfect gun.
    note what im saying. i adjusted to the perfect gun.

which leads into another whole different topic...people change guns like dirty socks. but they dont wear them enough to smell. just look at any given website for sale room and see for yourself. sad indeed.

gleen what you can from this. hope it helps.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the stock fits you well, you don't need an adjustable comb.

If the stock doesn't fit, then you need an adjustable comb (assuming it doesn't need to be thinned or lowered, which can be done carefully).

Shoot the gun first, then decide. You can also temporarily shim the comb to test with cardboard or balsa wood and tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

afjustable cobm on trap gun

are adjustable combs important on trap guns

can cast adjustments be made with adjustable comb on stock

do you need an adjustable comb on shotgun

how important is an adjustable comb on a targetshotgun

over under adjustable comb forum

shotgun with adjustable comb or not

types of combs for trap shooting