1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How high should I set my gun to shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JC523, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC523

JC523 TS Member

I am going to go pattern my gun sometime this week. I haven't patterned it since right after I purchased it (July). I am starting to think that maybe I need to raise the comb to get my head more upright.....also with the hopes that it will help me from raising my head. I don't do it a lot.....but enough to make a good score a mediocre one.

I know there are a lot of other things involved, but I need to find a starting point. I recently changed the cast, as I noticed my eye was not centered up on the rib. I believe this helped me a good bit. I am in the middle of reading Rollin Oswald's book, but have not gotten to the patterning section.

I am a new shooter (started in April)......and just not 100% sure how high my gun should shoot. I also need to pattern with some different chokes. I mainly use MOD at 16 yds, but I am starting to re-think that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Set it as high as you need to smoke targets.
    Steve Balistreri

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your gun should shoot as high as you want it to shoot but more importantly at a height that you can shoot with it set at. There is no right or wrong answer and certainly not one answer someone can give you over the internet. I'd suggest having someone help you fit your gun to you. Someone with the knowledge and skills to set it up for you.---Matt

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Bring a flat of shells. Plant yourself on station #3, set the machine to throw "straights". Adjust for sootballs. Then shoot a round or 2. re-adjust if necessary. Concentrate on your mounts, keep them consistant. Practice, practice, and then more practice. Dave T.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Adjust the comb until your head is up straight and level. Then adjust the height of the front sight to get the POI right. HMB

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

There is no one answer.

Do you shoot quickly (birds rising quickly) or are you "riding" the bird and shooting near the peak of the target arc?

Most new shooters will gradually want (need?) a higher POI as they begin shooting birds closer to the house. I started with a 65/35 setup and now shoot about 100% high (only a few "fliers" below my POA).

The advice above is very good. Your style will affect the POI that works best. That POI may change as your timing and swing speed changes.

It is VERY important the gun not shoot left or right. That will hold you back.

I would dump the modified choke and put in a full. (Or at least a choke that patterns like a full - hotter core). If you want to learn to point the gun, keep the full in. Also, the same barrel can print a different POI by changing chokes; so do NOT assume the POI is the same with every choke you have.

Don Verna

7. grntitan

dverna---excellent advice, especially the last part about the Full choke. Thats the only way to fly. It will make you a better shooter in the long run. No sloppy shooting.---Matt

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

25"inches high at 30 yards then all you have to do i9s move right or left the pattern is right there. But there is a learning curve there.
    Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I wouldn't set your gun to shoot high until you feel it will help you break more targets. Then, don't be surprised if you break fewer birds until you re-program your subconsious. After the reprogrammiing, you should be right back to where you were before you raised the POI.
    Missed birds aren't caused by the wrong choke, the wrong shot size, the wrong payload, the wrong MV, or the wrong POI. They are missed because the shooter pointed the gun in the wrong place.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing worse than a sloppy 100 with a skeet choke. HMB

11. grntitan

HMB---I'm quite good at reading sarcasm and would be proud like you if i had a bunch of 100 straights with a skeet choke. How many sloppy 100 straights do you and others you know have with skeet chokes for comparison purposes? I have none. You sound like a very proficient shot with open chokes. I'm not. Your opinion is as welcome as mine though and thats the beauty of this site and our Country. All good on my end.---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how high should a trap gun shoot

should a trap gun shoot high