1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How high over the trap house, and how wide?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cls, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

I hold a high gun, level actually. And I always set up for the straight-a-way. Less gun movement indeed is better. cls

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I don't like to hold away from the house on One or Five. If I am on Five and get a hard left, I can see it quicker if I hold about a foot in on the far side of the roof. I do the same on One.

On Two, Three, and Four, I hold at the center of the far side of the roof. This way, the bird always comes out over my barrel. I cannot see through steel. It would seem to me that if I hold my gun high, and the wind betrays me and pushes the bird down, I might be tempted to lift my head to see the bird, since I cannot see through steel. LOL

OTOH, if I get a breeze in my face, I can figure the bird is going to the clouds. I still don't like a high gun. That low bird will escape you if you allow a lapse in concentration.

My focal point is over the barrel, at a point about a hundred yards downrange. This helps me see the bird quicker and makes it less likely for my focus to drift back to the bead.

My way is not the only way. I am sure other shooters have methods that work for them.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm usually 1.5-2' off the corners on 1 & 5. My thinking is I can get a jump on the hard angles and anything else is alomost a straightaway. As far as height I'm always comming up to the target.

Eric

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Middle of the roof on all stations

John C. Saubak

5. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

To paraphrase a "AAA, 27,AAA" friend of mine-A sure way to not reach the 27 is to hold off the corners...wrong technique.

6. canada

canada Member

Maytag is absolutely right. Holding outside leads to cutting off short angles. By cutting off I mean coming straight up and shooting behind it.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a low gun. On posts one and five I like to have my feet positioned so that my gun naturally comes up where the extreme angles leave the house. If I am a little off, I still call for the bird and make a slight shift before shooting the next bird. My feet and body position determine my hold points. I never mount my gun and then twist my body to bring the gun to where I think it should be.

From any post, the 50 yard stake represents the middle of the extreme angles from that post. When I go to post one, I stand so that I am looking at the 50 yard marker. I am right handed so I know I can swing a little easier to the left than the right. To compensate for this, I next stand so I am looking a little to the right of the 50 yard stake. If I do this correctly, my gun will naturally come up just inside the left corner of the house.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.