1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How high do you set your comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

    kgun_shooter Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Messages:
    528
    I've got my comb set pretty high but the gun doesn't fit quite right. If I lower the comb the gun fits better but I seem to go clear through a target and shoot over it. Any suggestions on what I should do?
     
  2. Trapmanjohn

    Trapmanjohn Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    364
    Kgun, Set your gun up for fit first. For example, is the bead in line with your eye's pupil? Then put the trap machine on straight away targets, stand on about the 20-22 yrd line and shoot targets adjusting your comb for the correct point of impact. You should be centering about 80% of the targets and taking the top out of the other 20%. I hope this helps you.

    Hit 'em hard,

    John
     
  3. deankol

    deankol Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Messages:
    153
    How can you shot higher by lowering your comb? Am I missing something here?
     
  4. BigM-Perazzi

    BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    8,542
    Location:
    HELL, MICHIGAN
    Try what john suggests...

    Dean, if the comb is too tall, many strange things metaphysically could be happening...
     
  5. mallard2

    mallard2 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    Messages:
    666
    Metaphysically? Zen those targets, baby!

    The comb should be high enough so that the gun comes up to your face without bending your face/neck down to it.

    If you shoot a K-80 put the stock where it is comfortable and you get a good sight line down the stock.

    Then, adjust your point of impact at the barrel to shoot where you look.
     
  6. kgun_shooter

    kgun_shooter Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Messages:
    528
    Thanks guys for the suggestions so far.

    deankol,

    I don't think it's shooting higher when I lower it, I just blow past the target and over top. With the comb high I will go to the bottom of the target and shoot.
     
  7. BigM-Perazzi

    BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    8,542
    Location:
    HELL, MICHIGAN
    Kinesiology!!!!! Geez...
     
  8. Neil Winston

    Neil Winston Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    7,848
    The solution to your problem, kgs, can only be found when you, yourself, by force of will, added concentration on the task, and increased control of where the gun is pointing, quit shooting over the target.

    The method is

    1. stop.

    Neil
     
  9. deankol

    deankol Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Messages:
    153
    Are you advocating stopping the swing to compensate for higher shooting gun?
     
  10. Neil Winston

    Neil Winston Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    7,848
    No, dean, and I'm sorry it may have sounded like that. What I am advocating to kgs, as well as to anyone who consistently puts the gun in the wrong place, is to stop putting it in the wrong place and instead put it in the right place. The gun, after all, does not have any powers of movement of its own; it is aimed somewhere by the shooter. It's the task of the shooter to do that correctly and can only be done if the shooter takes control and simply quits doing the wrong thing and starts doing the right one. No other advice will solve his problem.

    Neil
     
  11. deankol

    deankol Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Messages:
    153
    Cool Neil. The shooter first needs to find out point of impact then point accordingly, right? Until then it's just guessing.
     
  12. billyboy07208

    billyboy07208 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    571
    your swinging the gun up while your head has stopped moving with it,and thats because the comb hasnt bottomed out on your cheek enough,because if it did it would push up your head with it,then you would realise your barrel is up over the target sooner.
    you should be locked in,cheek to comb and eyes over rib,and the whole thing moves in unison like an m1 abrams tanks turret.
    just my WAG.
     
  13. hmb

    hmb Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    9,436
    Some of the worst advice I have ever heard. HMB
     
  14. KENENT1

    KENENT1 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,393
    Location:
    Beloit, WI
    I set mine to shoot 5" high at 13 yds. then adjust for breaks.


    tony
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how did you set up your comb on your k-80