1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How high do you set your comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've got my comb set pretty high but the gun doesn't fit quite right. If I lower the comb the gun fits better but I seem to go clear through a target and shoot over it. Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Kgun, Set your gun up for fit first. For example, is the bead in line with your eye's pupil? Then put the trap machine on straight away targets, stand on about the 20-22 yrd line and shoot targets adjusting your comb for the correct point of impact. You should be centering about 80% of the targets and taking the top out of the other 20%. I hope this helps you.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. deankol

deankol Member

How can you shot higher by lowering your comb? Am I missing something here?

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Try what john suggests...

Dean, if the comb is too tall, many strange things metaphysically could be happening...

5. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Metaphysically? Zen those targets, baby!

The comb should be high enough so that the gun comes up to your face without bending your face/neck down to it.

If you shoot a K-80 put the stock where it is comfortable and you get a good sight line down the stock.

Then, adjust your point of impact at the barrel to shoot where you look.

6. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far.

deankol,

I don't think it's shooting higher when I lower it, I just blow past the target and over top. With the comb high I will go to the bottom of the target and shoot.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Kinesiology!!!!! Geez...

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The solution to your problem, kgs, can only be found when you, yourself, by force of will, added concentration on the task, and increased control of where the gun is pointing, quit shooting over the target.

The method is

1. stop.

Neil

9. deankol

deankol Member

Are you advocating stopping the swing to compensate for higher shooting gun?

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, dean, and I'm sorry it may have sounded like that. What I am advocating to kgs, as well as to anyone who consistently puts the gun in the wrong place, is to stop putting it in the wrong place and instead put it in the right place. The gun, after all, does not have any powers of movement of its own; it is aimed somewhere by the shooter. It's the task of the shooter to do that correctly and can only be done if the shooter takes control and simply quits doing the wrong thing and starts doing the right one. No other advice will solve his problem.

Neil

11. deankol

deankol Member

Cool Neil. The shooter first needs to find out point of impact then point accordingly, right? Until then it's just guessing.

12. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

your swinging the gun up while your head has stopped moving with it,and thats because the comb hasnt bottomed out on your cheek enough,because if it did it would push up your head with it,then you would realise your barrel is up over the target sooner.
    you should be locked in,cheek to comb and eyes over rib,and the whole thing moves in unison like an m1 abrams tanks turret.
    just my WAG.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some of the worst advice I have ever heard. HMB

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I set mine to shoot 5" high at 13 yds. then adjust for breaks.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how did you set up your comb on your k-80