1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How high do most Win. 101's shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sero, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

A couple of questions.
    1. I know no two guns of even the same model are identical but as rule of thumb how high do most Win. 101's shoot and does that change with different loads?
    I have a 34" single and a 32" O/U, both are 101 Diamond Grades.
    Thanks
    John Sero

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

John, one of the first things I would do would be to take the guns out and check POI at 13 yds. Bench it like you would a rifle. I put a cross on a piece of cardboard (actually several of them) with inches marked above and below on the verticle line. I usually shoot at least 5 of these for each gun I am checking POI on. (Actually, come to think of it, check some of the threads on here that deal with POI and patterning. Neil Winston and others have some very good and descriptive advice. Good luck and good shooting. Steve

3. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Hi Sero,
    I just bought a Win 101 top single with a 32" full chocked barrel. It's not a Diamond grade. After patterning it with several different loads, mine shoots 80/20 with the beads stacked.

Frank

4. Sero

Sero Member

OK guys I know I probably sound real dumb here but you have to help me understand just what you saying when you say you shot 80/20 with beads stacked
    or when you say a Figure Eight bead alignment.
    I promise you that this week I will pattern shoot the guns.
    Sorry to sound so stupid but when I was shooting years ago some great mentors set me up but I had no idea what they had done or why.
    I just know that from 15 to 21 I was a high 90's shhoter with four or five
    clean 100 rounds.
    That was with a Model 12 trap grade or an Ithica 37 super Trap.
    Those two guns and 29 other very nice long guns were sold to put my oldest daughter through her first year of college.
    I really like the feel of the 101's but just don't know enough about them yet to feel comfortable.
    Thanks for your help.
    John Sero

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

John;

In addition to the stocks' combs being different distances below guns' ribs, i.e., different drop at the comb dimensions, the distance of shooters' eyes above their cheekbones can also make a significant difference.

Some ribs taper down in front, which will cause a gun to shoot a little above its point of aim. Guns also differ slightly in their drop at the comb dimension but the major determinant of how high guns shoot is the distance of the shooter's eye above the gun's rib when shots are fired. It is the height of the comb that, along with the distance of the shooter's eye above his cheekbone, determines how high guns shoot.

6. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Hi again Sero, When I made my first post What I was saying was that when I mount my gun to pattern it I press my cheek to the stock and always try to do this the same each time I mount the gun. While mounted this way, my eye sees the mid bead just under and slightly touching the bottom of the front bead. Thus the figure 8. When I shoot the pattern board I use this mount but also use a bench rest. I have patterned mine at 40yards aiming at a 4" circle right in the center of the pattern sheet. After I do my calculations I can find the percentages of shot both above the center as well as below the center of the outside 30" circle This gives me both POI and a look at my pattern at 40 yds. You can also check POI at 15 yds using the same mounting technique which will double check your POI if necessary.

Frank

7. setter

setter Member

This discussion might help.

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Frank,

Also consider that your cheek's pressure on the comb can change during swings. When it occurs, the cheek most often rises, causing the gun to shoot higher than expected.

That fact is the argument against excessive cheek pressure on the comb to achieve a figure-8 bead alignment diring setup and a limitation to patterning for POI.

Rollin

9. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Thank you for that information Rollin

10. Sero

Sero Member

Does anybody know of an established shooter in the Northern Indiana area that may be willing to give a returning shooter some coaching.
    I'd be glad to pay them.
    I hope to paper shoot the guns this week Mother Nature permitting.
    I only have an Improved Mod Win Choke for my 34" single 101 and a mode for the lower barrel of my O/U 32" 101.
    I would like buy another Mod, an IC or anything else any of you think I would need for 16 yard singles and then doubles as well once I become better tuned & fitted to my guns.
    Is there really a worthwhile quality difference from one brand of tubes to another?
    Thanks
    John Seroczynski
    Valparaiso, IN.

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

sero,

Only you can determined the POI...for YOU.

Like what was said...bench rest it at 13 yrds. and see where the pattern is...also the large hole of the wad. Relative to the height of center cross hairs on the paper...2 or 3 inches...you will know if it is 70/30/ or 80/20 etc. We are only talking vertical, not horizontal...another issue.

Pattern my man...pattern.

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.