1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How heavy is too heavy for a trap gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How heavy is too heavy for a trap gun ?

Given a healthy shooter without any specific problems...

At what weight does a trap gun become too heavy for singles ?

Currently looking at one that weighs ten pounds and another that weighs 9 pounds - 3 ounces.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I took my Blaser from 8 1/4 pounds to about 10 1/4 pounds with the Blaser weight system. The extra weight slows down my swing giving me a smoother move to the target. Very little recoil even with three dram loads. My scores have improved quite bit. Gun is very well balanced

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Advising which weight is best is sorta like advising which POI is best! Try it at various weights then decide which is best for your shooting style,strength and stamina. That alone will clear your mind of the clutter of opinions from others, the weak from the gorilla strong among us?

Hap

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Anything over 9 lbs is too heavy for me---My K-guns are less and little recoil.
    MYSTIC---

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think you'll find balance has much to do with the answer.. Do you like front end heavy.. or light??? butt heavy or light... balance on hinge pin or forward.. behind??? The general distribution of the weight has alot to do with how one shoots a gun.. Not a simple question to answer.. But.. for a short answer.. depends on the shooters dynamics... All Good.. Mike

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap is correct. I want my gun as heavy as possible and allow me to shoot 300 registered birds in a day without arm fatigue.

More importantly for me is to figure out how heavy my gun should be and allow me to shoot 300 birds without mental fatigue.

Pat Ireland

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat.. You might check into a PFS.. With the changable screw on weights and the recoil reducing system.. it allow excellent fit and changable dynamics of the shooting setup..without additional cash outlay..

8. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Pat, if you should come up with a formula for that second concern, (the mental fatigue). I would be forever indebted to you for sharing the same with me. I can handle the 10 pound plus shotgun. I do sometimes inadvertently allow the mental fatigue an open portal.
    If I find a resolve to our mutual nemesis I will PM you. I would ask you do the same. Until then, I'll just try to take them one bird at a time. J.Woolsey

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I also agree with Hap. Your gun shoud be heavy enough to absorb a lot of the recoil of several hundred 12 gauge shells in a single day yet not leave you fatigued with 50 targets to go in the last event. Proper fit and regular gun mounting practice goes a long way in reducing shooter fatigue.

Jeff

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A gas auto allows weight to be trimmed but does not sacrifice lower felt recoil. Most gas autos are in the 8 to 10 lb range, with 8.5 to 9 being typical for 30" standard weight trap barrels.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot 9 lbs gun and lighter loads. That is the advantage to reloading over buying factory.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore- I have been using a PFS for many years. I have about 2 1/2 of them for my K-80.

Pat Ireland

13. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

35 pounds is way too heavy. 14 pounds is about right, keeps the gun from being whippy.Jim

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I think it's more about weight distribution than just mass. A heavy gun that has the weight distributed right will actually feel lighter than a gun that is lighter, but has too much weight forward or aft of the center.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

My k-80 with a RAD 2 is just under 14 pounds and like above it swings slow and steady. 100 150 does not tire me out. Bulge

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bryan- Great thought, thank you. I will look into the situation. I could explain many things.

Pat Ireland

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

To me---anything over 9 lbs is a waste---I guess its o.k. for the young but how many oldies can handle 10+ lbs when 9 will suffice?---The K-guns are in the 9 lb range and little recoil---JMO---MYSTIC---

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a friend who in his younger days would take a 6.5 lb Franchi 48/AL and break 25 more than not---He can probably still do it today at age 77---Its the indian not the arrow----MYSTIC---

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

At another posters suggestion I checked my gun again, with the unsingle it is 11.5 pounds not near the 14 I indicated earlier. Bulge.

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The only way I can answer that is "You carry what you can, you handle what you can". Not being a smart ass but telling it as it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how heavy should a trap gun be